Anyone installed frameless rearview on '17

bigtex

:
17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)
Just wondering. Other than the looks, does it offer anything better than the stock rearview mirror? Looks like all controls are on the bottom.

9f9bff130a0e0a6b40690100d62352c9.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Certainly much cleaner looking, but I cannot find any info online on if it offers a wider field of view or has any other benefit over the stock mirror besides the arguably nicer appearance. I'm also curious if it is backwards compatible with the 2016 and if it is more of a swap out installation if one's car already has the standard Homelink mirror...but so far all the online references say it is only (technically) for the 2017.

Here is a link to the install instructions if anyone is interested...

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24...2.1536156934.1498062824-1918062093.1498062824

Well, apparently, it isn't supposedly compatible with factory autodimming mirror on the 2017, so I'd assume that would hold true for any 2016 possible usage... :(

"Not applicable on vehicles with factory installed Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirrors."

Weird, why is the photocell for the autodimming on the back of the unit?
I guess that's what they mean by the comparability since there is no rear facing sensor. Otherwise it should work since all it needs is 12vdc

Well, apparently, it isn't supposedly compatible with factory autodimming mirror on the 2017, so I'd assume that would hold true for any 2016 possible usage... :(

"Not applicable on vehicles with factory installed Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirrors."

This is in the instructions you posted, thanks by the way:

"6. Remove OE Mirror.

a) If vehicle is equipped with tech package, remove sensor cover by
sliding the two halves of the cover outward. (Fig. 1-7)

b) Using a #T20 Torx, loosen the mirror mounting bracket screw.
(Fig. 1-8)

c) Grasp mirror mount at the tube, and gently pull upwards parallel to
the windshield to carefully slide mirror off windshield button.

d) If vehicle is equipped with auto dimming mirror prior to installation,
wrap existing connector with 1 piece of foam tape and stow away in headliner

From the decription at mazdaparts:

"And the smart mirror system with frameless design automatically adjusts to reduce glare from headlights behind you."

HA! So once again, we have seemingly conflicting official information from MazdaUSA's general accessory description versus what the actual install instructions say.

Which typically means we must wait for a brave guinea pig to invest in this accessory and attempt installation in a 2016 and/or 2017 CX-5 and one that already has the tech package/regular auto-dimming mirror. :D

PS: I'm not that brave yet. LOL

It looks like the frameless isn't homelink, so you could lose that if you have the homelink.

After installing more than a few mirrors in more than a few cars as long as it will physically attach to the windshield button / mount it will work in the car. The question will be will you have to splice in the new mirror's harness or is it plug and play with the old harness.

My guess is Mazda says "incompatible" because either: the harnesses are different and it's not plug and play, or it's going to remove the homelink feature and people would get mad for being sold an "upgrade" only to lose a feature so they err on the side of caution.

As per the install instructions it has Homelink. I think the only thing the mirror needs is ACC power, batt power, and ground. It's not like my old Audi that the rear view mirror would auto dim my side mirrors too (that was cool!).
I think if the old mirror had these 3 lines then you can just tap them in.

Last edited:
It has homelink and looking at the instructions it looks plug and play.

I would guess these were late to market and they had to use the old mirrors on the new CX5 and these will probably be standard on 2018 and after. The CX9 already has these frameless mirrors standard, but it is a different part number.

Has anyone purchased one of these frameless mirrors for the 2017-18 CX-5? I have a 2018 that already has the stock auto dimming and homelink mirror but would like to replace with this one. Curious if it would be plug and play to existing connector or if you really have to go through the whole wiring install.

looks plug and play ak_cx5
The homelink buttons are on the bottom and per the install instructions,
"And the smart mirror system with frameless design automatically adjusts to reduce glare from headlights behind you."

So I decided to treat myself to this frameless mirror on my 2018 CX-5 and it was totally worth the $230 splurge! I bought it through a Mazda dealer on eBay and installed myself. The part number is 00008CR06 and the kit comes with all the stuff you need to do the install. You just have to follow the directions step by step and your golden. Turns out it is not plug and play though (rolleyes)... even if your car has the stock auto dimming mirror with homelink. You have to run a new connection wire and tap into existing wires behind the driver side A pillar. This made me nervous to tap into wires on an existing cable, but the wire taps they include work really well and are very easy to connect and there are only three of them. The hardest part for me was getting the black plastic sensor cover off the windshield (I have the tech package) and also getting the old A pillar tether clip out. I didn't want to break the cover clips so took me a little bit of trying and careful prying but it eventually came off with no breaks. And this video on youtube was a LIFESAVER when removing the A pillar panel and tether clip (HUGE thanks to the guy that made this video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y85r6yEhTM

The mirror not only looks amazing and functions every bit as good as the old stock mirror. Slightly wider viewing angles in my opinion. Check it out!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qcmOFE389-XS5Ybh_0EUeO16FzvBaVxZ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OJlwrY-biQ_SDtgIgr0Twj1XoqhZunEt/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15sQJ1NmsIRqn7MzNUWS1UjUpjtRpzmbD/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Very nice! Love the way it looks. The out of sight buttons on the bottom is a nice touch. How much of a pain in the ass was the install?

Honestly wasn't that bad. Took about an hour and a half. Mostly due to the sensor cover and A pillar tether. Probably would be about 30 min job if I did it again.

Back