Here's my top alternative vs another 5er

What do you all don't like about the CX-3 that you are willing to get a Crosstek over it? Other than the small size, less cargo space and weird arm rest placement, I think it is a beautiful fun little car. I mean it is based off the Mazda2, so it will never compete against the CX-5 in terms of space and utility. But it gets AWD and on the higher trims, has a beautiful interior. If this car came turbocharged, I would even trade in my Speed3 for it.

What do you all don't like about the CX-3 that you are willing to get a Crosstek over it? Other than the small size, less cargo space and weird arm rest placement, I think it is a beautiful fun little car. I mean it is based off the Mazda2, so it will never compete against the CX-5 in terms of space and utility. But it gets AWD and on the higher trims, has a beautiful interior. If this car came turbocharged, I would even trade in my Speed3 for it.

I had to drive one when my cx5 was getting warranty work. That same day, I went back to the dealer and asked for a different car. Not sure what it was but that car just felt weird. Best way to put it, it didn't feel like I was in a mazda. It drove nicely but just didn't feel right. At least not in what I expect from a Mazda.

Price per amount of space/utility is poor..gas tank is miniscule. I make fun of a friend at work for not spending almost 0 more dollars (lease) to get the cx5..says it too big yet has to flip a seat to fit golf clubs in and can't make much more than 300/tank. I drove it for a few miles..drives like a mazda should it seemed..cx5 just soo much more suv for $..Crosstrek basically splits the size diff while saving a nice chunk of change if you don't go all in...and 6 speed manual with awd..

Last edited:
I had to drive one when my cx5 was getting warranty work. That same day, I went back to the dealer and asked for a different car. Not sure what it was but that car just felt weird. Best way to put it, it didn't feel like I was in a mazda. It drove nicely but just didn't feel right. At least not in what I expect from a Mazda.
I sat in one, it is beautiful inside, but I have not driven one yet.

Price per amount of space/utility is poor..gas tank is miniscule. I make fun of a friend at work for not spending almost 0 more dollars (lease) to get the cx5..says it too big yet has to flip a seat to fit golf clubs in and can't make much more than 300/tank. I drove it for a few miles..drives like a mazda should it seemed..cx5 just soo much more suv for $..Crosstrek basically splits the size diff while saving a nice chunk of change if you don't go all in...and 6 speed manual with awd..
I agree that it is priced a little too high. I suppose that beautiful interior comes at a price, but it is a hard sell against the CX-5 and Mazda3.

"I agree that it is priced a little too high. I suppose that beautiful interior comes at a price, but it is a hard sell against the CX-5 and Mazda3."
That's why they're stuck at 2000 units/month North American market vs 9600/mo For CX-5 and 8900/mo for the 3. Say what you will about the HR-V Honda, but they sell as many of those per month as Mazda does the 3. That's what happens when you design a useful interior into a package this small.

Last edited:
"I agree that it is priced a little too high. I suppose that beautiful interior comes at a price, but it is a hard sell against the CX-5 and Mazda3."
That's why they're stuck at 2000 units/month North American market vs 9600/mo For CX-5 and 8900/mo for the 3. Say what you will about the HR-V Honda, but they sell as many of those per month as Mazda does the 3. That's what happens when you design a useful interior into a package this small.

That's what happens when you're Honda. People will buy whatever they put out.

Imagine your CX-5 ..
Now
Reduce its rear leg room by 15%
Reduce its cargo volume (2016 models) by another 20%.
This is what a CX-3 basically is. No power seats as well I think.

Maybe its better on mpg - but its really no use. Chevy Trax is doing very well as well. CX-3 looks fine but as many said the engine is just ok.

Imagine your CX-5 ..
Now
Reduce its rear leg room by 15%
Reduce its cargo volume (2016 models) by another 20%.
This is what a CX-3 basically is. No power seats as well I think.

Maybe its better on mpg - but its really no use. Chevy Trax is doing very well as well. CX-3 looks fine but as many said the engine is just ok.

Actually, my son loved the small feel of the CX-3. It is very fun to drive with a sporty feel. I was pushing him to the Mazda 3 because it was 4K less but he said it felt too big. I tried sitting in back and that was not fun. Great car for the young crowd (but not me!).

attachment.php

Attachments

• honda-ridgeline-super-bowl-hed-2016.jpg
    honda-ridgeline-super-bowl-hed-2016.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 272
Imagine your CX-5 ..
This is because we don't get the diesel engine it comes with. They are quite popular in Japan because you can get it with a 2.0 SkyActive diesel engine. The current engine it has, is pretty anemic for the North American market.

This is because we don't get the diesel engine it comes with. They are quite popular in Japan because you can get it with a 2.0 SkyActive diesel engine. The current engine it has, is pretty anemic for the North American market.

2.0 Diesel is interesting. Never heard about it - sounds like a perfect engine for a Hybrid Diesel CX-5 ... But Diesels seems to be going out of fashion.

Here's the current point of reference..but again I'm thinking 6MT (odd the Impreza its based on only gets 5MT) so shaves the 'lows' down to still low power but the 6MT will at least be able to make the most of it. I'll add: limited feature set when selecting the 6MT..otherwise I think it'll make for a nice improvement over the current Crosstrek and a reasonable low cost option to the CX-5 for the we don't need no stinking power tailgate set.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-subaru-impreza-5-door-first-drive-review

Last edited:
Subaru continues to intrigue me every time I am ready to buy a car, but when it's time and I test drive it and compare it to the competition, it rarely rates towards the top of my short list when I dwindle it down to my top picks. IMO: They have been coasting for a long time now trying to sell cars based on their AWD system which is no longer top of its class. The handling is sloppy and feels detached from the road, the interior feels cheaper, and the options are lackluster compared to the competition.

I drove new impreza sport hatch (cvt all they had) and thought it was pretty dang good other than cvt, much improved ride/handling..I found myself thinking if i could get this with a 6 instead of a 5 speed out of my old celica from the early 80s I'd be interested for cheap all weather commuting. I realize the Mazda outclasses it and maybe base sport or touring would still be worth the added cost in the end but seeing it as a viable cheap option...So Chris what was it that you DID like about it??

Crosstrek: Initially I liked it, and the desert khaki paint color. I liked that is was all-wheel drive, and it was cheaper than the MB. After driving it for a couple of years I began to loathe everything about it.
What cinched it's demise was a trip to Death Valley towing my bike trailer and simply would not go. So it was gone. :)

Subaru continues to intrigue me every time I am ready to buy a car, but when it's time and I test drive it and compare it to the competition, it rarely rates towards the top of my short list when I dwindle it down to my top picks. IMO: They have been coasting for a long time now trying to sell cars based on their AWD system which is no longer top of its class. The handling is sloppy and feels detached from the road, the interior feels cheaper, and the options are lackluster compared to the competition.

IMO they are simply not big enough to compete effectively.
My first new car was a 1977 Subaru DL Coupe. Those were the ones with the spare tire over the boxer motor under the hood. Funky little car - that's when I think we showed Subaru how great their cars were offroad. LOL

I also had a '00 or '01 Forester. Liked it well enough, but traded it for a new '02 Dodge Ram Quad-cab Pickup. That was a month after 9-11 and nobody was buying anything. I took it upon myself to jump-start the economy single-handedly. LOL

And finally the Crosstrek - and frankly that's one of the reasons I bought it, cuz I had two priors and they were pretty good cars, so I was kind of familiar with them and liked them.

Every time I buy one of these small cars I'm thinking it needs to be able to tow behind the Winnebago. The MT Subaru can do that - none of the CVT cars can except for Honda. I just have never liked hondas or datsuns. Toyotas are fine, but OMG they're ugly. That new C-HR is a disgusting little thing with a small motor and CVT trans. JMHO. :)

Back