Here's my top alternative vs another 5er

:
'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N
http://blog.caranddriver.com/sit-down-be-humble-2018-subaru-crosstrek-priced-from-22710/

Always liked this thing and its value and simplicity but was shot down pre Mazda ultimately due to noise and sluggishness which I believe may be substantially improved upon with this redesign. Ok its still far from quick but i think the 6 speed will really help make it more livable and I find myself becoming almost a sucker for its old skoolness. Diesel cx5 or manual crosstrek +~10k toward my twin with the cost savings...color me wr blue brz w/performance pkg tempted;)

Last edited:
I'll be in the market next year for a replacement for my CX-5 and have decided to get a 5 door hatch or small wagon. I never was the CUV type and don't like the added height (I lowered mine) and inherently sloppy handling of an SUV. Last week I drove a 2017 Impreza Sport Hatch with CVT (the last-gen Impreza was on my short list before I decided to go with the Mazda) and was appalled at the lack of power (although I really think it's got a lot to do with the power delivery through the CVT). From everything I've read, the Crosstrek is even worse. I doubt the extra cog in the manual gearbox will make much difference. You should go drive one (Subaru is currently offering a $25 prepaid Visa card to anyone who takes a test drive!); I think you'll be disappointed. Really a shame because otherwise they seem like great cars.

Last edited:
I traded a '13 GLK350 for a '14 Subaru Crosstrek. It was a great little car, I got the 5spd manual so I could tow it behind the Winnebago motorhome. I put about 20K miles on it. Here's what I liked and didn't like....
1. It's gutless. Even with the manual trans it was gutless, could hardly get out of it's own way. Now you might say, 'I don't drive fast' but really, you couldn't pass anyone on the hiway either. Mileage was good, but it should have a turbo option or a bigger motor.
2. Handling is suprisingly poor considering it's on a Imprezza platform. The height and the weight just makes it roll and buck. Yuck.
3. Interior is all plastic and it's CHEAP. It's a cheap japanese car.
4. It's noisy. The engine is noisy and there's a lot of road noise. It's a CHEAP car. The manual didn't even have a hood-pad so I installed on from the CVT version. The CVT is beyond awful.

The final blow was trying to tow a light trailer up a jeep road - it simply could not do it and I almost fried the clutch. Since there's no low range it cannot crawl. If the going gets tough it just stops - it WILL NOT GO. You can mash the throttle off idle and it WILL NOT GO. I traded it for a Colorado 4x4 which also tows behind the motorhome, but it has a full transfercase with high and low range.

Make sure you do a thorough test drive to make sure you like it before you plunk down your dollars for it. It's a CHEAP car. LOL

I drove new impreza sport hatch (cvt all they had) and thought it was pretty dang good other than cvt, much improved ride/handling..I found myself thinking if i could get this with a 6 instead of a 5 speed out of my old celica from the early 80s I'd be interested for cheap all weather commuting. I realize the Mazda outclasses it and maybe base sport or touring would still be worth the added cost in the end but seeing it as a viable cheap option...So Chris what was it that you DID like about it??

Last edited:
I drove new impreza sport hatch (cvt all they had) and thought it was pretty dang good other than cvt, much improved ride/handling..I found myself thinking if i could get this with a 6 instead of a 5 speed out of my old celica from the early 80s I'd be interested for cheap all weather commuting. I realize the Mazda outclasses it and maybe base sport or touring would still be worth the added cost in the end but seeing it as a viable cheap option...So Chris what was it that you DID like about it??

Just for clarification, I really liked the car itself. Just not the powertrain. Too bad 'cause it seemed like a viable option. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like there's any intent on the part of Subaru to up the power on the Impreza or the Crosstrek (particularly the latter as it sells in such small numbers). I've gotten so tired of people here denigrating the 2.0 CX-5 for its power output, but mine seems like it could run circles around the Subies and the power to weight ratio is better in those cars.

Right..the powertrain is still the achilles but idk the new one seemed alot less bad than i remembered...talk about faint praise

Remember when all Mazdas handled well and they offered us something other than a minivan in SUV clothes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0KtK7cy6A0

We all know the rotary is gone for good, but PLEASE bring back the 6 wagon. Put the DISI engine in it and make it AWD. A MS6 Wagon.
If you built it we will buy.

Right..the powertrain is still the achilles but idk the new one seemed alot less bad than i remembered...talk about faint praise

My recollection was just the opposite. I was ready to pull the trigger in late '12, before my wife convinced me we needed the added room in the CX-5.

Test drove a 17. Didn't even make my short list. 148 HP I believe? Not enough. And it's small. More CX-3 like.

The 17 crosstrek is virtually unchanged from when it debuted..mechanically anyway. The forthcoming 18 is based on the currently available 17 impreza with revised albeit still wanting 152hp flat 4..it is still smallish but ill take it over the cx3 all day. I think it only makes sense in lower trims which is all that's offered with 6mt anyhow but still be nice if you could add the hk stereo or sunroof but those are left (i presume) to ease the pain for those choosing and paying up for the cvt!

Last edited:
Got rid of my 12 Impreza sport premium.Oil consumption issues from new.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I looked at the Subaru line. The combination of power, ride and options just didn't work for me. Worse, to get the options I wanted, and even a hint of performance, along comes a moonroof which lowered headroom down to about 37.6 inches and even the interiors look old. I kind of like the exterior but that's about it.

CR seems to love them though.

If it was between it and the CX-3 I'd get the Subaru too. Toyota's new CHR I think it is? Would also be on my short list if I was shopping that size.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My mom has a...I want to say 2015...Crosstrek.

Interior is extremely cheap plastic (worse than my 2014 Touring considerably) and very spartan. The seats are so hard, she takes a chair cushion from inside and puts it in the car whenever she drives.

Plus it's a CVT with only 148 hp. And the handling is not great. I can make tighter turns in my CX-5. It's sluggish, and just completely gutless.

Frankly, I'd say it's not even in remotely the same league as a CX-5. Want to call something an econobox, call the Crosstrek that.

Oh...and she got stuck in snow a couple of times. That has never happened in my CX-5.

Last edited:
If it was between it and the CX-3 I'd get the Subaru too. Toyota's new CHR I think it is? Would also be on my short list if I was shopping that size.

Kinda like the funky Toy also but power is even worse 144/139 and its inexplicably WWD only with no ETA for AWD variant..thought that was pretty dumb.

Also CD...surprised w/the Crosstrek getting stuck..driver error? Tires?

Last edited:
Also CD...surprised w/the Crosstrek getting stuck..driver error? Tires?

I actually don't recall what tires she was using at the time. She normally has winter tires on in the winter and then switches them to all-seasons in the summer.

It was her driving and it was the driveway at their house up in the mountains. She had so many issues trying to get out of it with the Subaru. By comparison my CX-5 had no problem with it, even when I first bought it and still had the factory crappy Yokohamas on.

I was going to trade in my 5 yr old Impreza on a crosstrek.

The cx-5 is MUCH better at everything except high-speed MPG. Even there, it's close enough not to matter to any sane adult.

(There are a few insane posters that frequent m247).

Damn, ColoradoDriver. Lol. Making me real glad I crossed that one off the list.

I was going to trade in my 5 yr old Impreza on a crosstrek.

The cx-5 is MUCH better at everything except high-speed MPG. Even there, it's close enough not to matter to any sane adult.

(There are a few insane posters that frequent m247).

Well with gen 1 I certainly agree with that and voted same with my $, gen 2 looks interesting (6mt, DI and AA and more sound insulation now) still needs more power but interesting option on the cheap.
I also agree with some insane in the membrane posters here:)

Last edited:
Back