Dropping weight!

Yes I did, but not to complain, as the owner's manual clearly describes the conditions where the airbag would be disabled to protect young passengers. So it's a feature rather than defect. I was just hoping they could reprogram the threshold internally to be more lenient to petite sized adults. But they said it cannot be altered.

They however corrected me saying the sensor is looking for weight, but rather "electrostatic capacity" whatever that means:

from owner's manual:
Front Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
"This sensor measures the electrostatic capacity of the front passenger's seat."

Our 2017 CX-5 and CX-3 work fine with a 5', 98# adult in the passenger seat - I don't think they get much more petite then that. There could be a problem with your sensor. If it happens all the time, maybe you can test on another CX-5 to show them it is too restrictive.

Our 2017 CX-5 and CX-3 work fine with a 5', 98# adult in the passenger seat - I don't think they get much more petite then that. There could be a problem with your sensor. If it happens all the time, maybe you can test on another CX-5 to show them it is too restrictive.
5' but only 92# in our case, so I wouldnt blame the car, or its design. The owners manual has two tips. First, avoid certain seating postures but my wife never did any of those. Second, move seat as far back as possible which works for us... comfort sacrificed as she can no longer reach the sloped foot rest, but at least it solves the problem.

I'm a nudge under 6'3" and just turned 45 and coming off some stressful years I'm in the process of dropping weight from a high of 251 to a goal of 195-200.

In February I started walking a little at first and up to hours a day (usually 14 miles), hitting the weight room a bit when my ankles started getting sore and I scaled down the walking, and eating super clean. (Egg whites for breakfast, blended kale and spinach shakes for lunch and chicken breast and brown rice split between a small early and small later meal and cutting out sugar and beer which kill your energy)

I didn't know what results I could hope for in a month but after 31 days I was down 23 pounds which is a personal record by far. It helps to be unemployed as all of this is a large time commitment.

I ended up moving to an apartment that need some work so my flow was interrupted and I'm just getting back in to it. I plan to continue the healthy eating and weights and scale down the walking, shoot for 10-12 pounds a month.

The big takeaway for me was that I guy in his 40's can still get results, and without ever really killing yourself. The walking took a lot of time, and I was always happy to be finished for the day, but I was never really straining.

Last edited:
I'm a nudge under 6'3" and just turned 45 and coming off some stressful years I'm in the process of dropping weight from a high of 251 to a goal of 195-200.

In February I started walking a little at first and up to hours a day (usually 14 miles), hitting the weight room a bit when my ankles started getting sore and I scaled down the walking, and eating super clean. (Egg whites for breakfast, blended kale and spinach shakes for lunch and chicken breast and brown rice split between a small early and small later meal and cutting out sugar and beer which kill your energy)

I didn't know what results I could hope for in a month but after 31 days I was down 23 pounds which is a personal record by far. It helps to be unemployed as all of this is a large time commitment.

I ended up moving to an apartment that need some work so my flow was interrupted and I'm just getting back in to it. I plan to continue the healthy eating and weights and scale down the walking, shoot for 10-12 pounds a month.

The big takeaway for me was that I guy in his 40's can still get results, and without ever really killing yourself. The walking took a lot of time, and I was always happy to be finished for the day, but I was never really straining.
Kudos and keep at it (thumb)

I'm now just below 175lbs and 6'2". Last year I started just over 215lbs and few years earlier was just over 240lbs.

Dropped some more weight. Now just below 169lbs. My CX-5 should be very happy with me now :D

Meanwhile I added chassis bars to my cx5. I think I gained 1 lbs and weigh a whopping 152lb

Last edited:
Back