2017 Mazda CX-9 picks up IIHS Top Safety Pick+

It seems the only difference between the 16 and 17 is how the curtain airbags are deployed, seems they have changed the configuration to deploy in the small over lap as well. seems the cx9 is a really well thought car in what safety is concerned.. seems I picked well .
ereeku, thanks for the post
M

Thanks for the information. I have 2016 CX-9 and reading this sounds a little discouraging and disappointing. I am wondering if Mazda will change the 2016's to be the same safety standard like the 2017.

widdy, I suggest u ask in ur next service ahbout it , I think it is just a software upgrade . hardware has not changed.

I'm also hoping they will update 2016's with the airbag deployment changes. I read elsewhere that the change applied to all CX-9's manufactured after November 2016.

I believe NHTSA crash tests are more tougher than the IIHS test. 2017 CX 5 NHTSA results were OK, but not the best. Guess Mazda is delaying the NHTSA test on the cx 9, as they anticipate some issues. If Mazda was my own company, I will ask my people to crash test first, before even selling the first vehicle.

Last edited:
So i emailed Mazda to see if they were planning on doing anything about the 2016 models and this was their reply:
Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center. The IIHS has not tested your vehicle on the front overlap or the side crash. Unfortunately Mazda does not have any control over this company, however it has been tested and rated as "Good" for the roof strength and front crash prevention.

Mazda focuses on improving their vehicles year over year taking customer's feedback into consideration. Please note that your vehicle meets all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standards but should any changes need to be made, Mazda will notify owner's through mail notifications. At this time your vehicle is considered to be safe to drive and we do not plan on making any changes as our production line for this year model has been closed and all the vehicles have been released.

We do appreciate your feedback and it has been forwarded to our Product Planning team for further review and evaluation. Your feedback is very important as we are always looking for ways to continually improve our products and services. Should you have additional questions or feedback, please contact me at the number below and reference your Service Request number.

So i emailed Mazda to see if they were planning on doing anything about the 2016 models and this was their reply:
Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center. The IIHS has not tested your vehicle on the front overlap or the side crash. Unfortunately Mazda does not have any control over this company, however it has been tested and rated as "Good" for the roof strength and front crash prevention.

Mazda focuses on improving their vehicles year over year taking customer's feedback into consideration. Please note that your vehicle meets all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standards but should any changes need to be made, Mazda will notify owner's through mail notifications. At this time your vehicle is considered to be safe to drive and we do not plan on making any changes as our production line for this year model has been closed and all the vehicles have been released.

We do appreciate your feedback and it has been forwarded to our Product Planning team for further review and evaluation. Your feedback is very important as we are always looking for ways to continually improve our products and services. Should you have additional questions or feedback, please contact me at the number below and reference your Service Request number.

I assume you're referring to the 2016's not deploying side curtains in the front small overlap? Did you ask about this specifically? Because their response makes no mention of this. The question would be whether a software update was possible for this specific function.

This was the message I sent them: Comments: According to the IIHS website, the 2017 CX-9 has earned the top safety rating, the 2016 has not. Apparently "Mazda modified the deployment pattern of the side curtain airbags to improve protection in front and side crashes" vs the 2016 CX-9. As a 2016 owner, I am of course concerned about safety, that is one of the reasons for buying a Mazda in the first place. Is there a plan to update the 2016 models so that they meet the same safety standard as the 2017?

Back