To TINT or not to TINT?

PureKrome

:
2017 CX-9 Azami
Im not sure if I should add Tinting to my windows or not :(

Anyone tinted their CX9 (I'll be picking my one up in 4 days from the showroom). Was asked today If i would like tinting or not.

Anyone have links to some picks so I could see the difference, plz?

thank you kindly for any help :)

-PK-

I got brand new 1st gen last year. Being in the desert, having a tint made a difference. I have the 3M Crystalline, though limited to 20% due to tint restrictions here.

Tint recommended in a hot, sunny climate.

Had mine tinted with ceramic film the day after purchase.
Maximum legal in Texas, even added the clear IR - blocking windshield film.

I could feel an immediate difference between driving in and leaving ... much less heat gain with the large greenhouse area.

Car is presently in the garage and I don't have any pics.
Unless someone beats me to it, will take some the next time it's out.

Would _love_ to see some pics (so I can compare).

The stock glass that comes from the Showroom -> it's not tinted at all, right?

I am on my 3rd CX-9 and I always tint the front windows to match the rear windows mainly for appearance - but it is nice having them tinted. Nothing special with it - no special tint required. I know some people have tinted the windshield - I haven't done that...

Would _love_ to see some pics (so I can compare).

The stock glass that comes from the Showroom -> it's not tinted at all, right?

IIRC, the side and rear glass has some tint from the factory; but I added film to reach the allowable maximum.
I remain happy with my choice.

Anything special I would have to watch out for for a clear tint on the windshield with regard to the heads up display?
Thanks.

I was concerned about this as well.
The tinter assured me that the HUD would continue to operate normally ... he was right; no noticeable difference.
The windshield film DOES reduce the interior heat build-up and hasn't scratched with normal cleaning.

Here's mine right after adding 20% tint. Thanks to the governor, I'm going to have to remove it or else I won't pass inspection this year.

mrtoop.jpg

Last edited:
The factory privacy glass is allowed in New York state. You just can't tint the front doors or the windshield. The thing is i see a lot of sedans which cannot have tint at all with 2018 inspection stickers. I don't think that all these people got medical exceptions for the tint. I am guessing that you can still get it inspected in some shops, i guess it depends. Still it is a law that doesn't make sense.

The factory privacy glass is allowed in New York state. You just can't tint the front doors or the windshield. The thing is i see a lot of sedans which cannot have tint at all with 2018 inspection stickers. I don't think that all these people got medical exceptions for the tint. I am guessing that you can still get it inspected in some shops, i guess it depends. Still it is a law that doesn't make sense.

Were those sedans new, the ones you noticed with tints and 2018 inspection stickers?

I just got a brand new 2016.5 CX-5 here in NY, obviously it came with a 2018 inspection sticker right off the dealer and I had it tinted 2 weeks afterwards. My tint is legal but people could be installing tints on new cars after they buy them. Hopefully they are aware of the new law.

Law was put in place to help cops when they make car stops to be able to see whats inside. Wether that make sense, I guess everyone has a different opinion on it. I understand it but honestly it should be procedure for cops when making stops to ask the driver to lower all windows before the cop gets out of their patrol car if they have tinted windows all around. This makes more sense to me than forcing everyone to not get tints.

I have 20% on my front windows. I'm tempted to take it to some sketchy place to see if they'll pass me. I'm pretty sure my regular place would check the tint.

Were those sedans new, the ones you noticed with tints and 2018 inspection stickers?

I just got a brand new 2016.5 CX-5 here in NY, obviously it came with a 2018 inspection sticker right off the dealer and I had it tinted 2 weeks afterwards. My tint is legal but people could be installing tints on new cars after they buy them. Hopefully they are aware of the new law.

Law was put in place to help cops when they make car stops to be able to see whats inside. Wether that make sense, I guess everyone has a different opinion on it. I understand it but honestly it should be procedure for cops when making stops to ask the driver to lower all windows before the cop gets out of their patrol car if they have tinted windows all around. This makes more sense to me than forcing everyone to not get tints.

sorry, but I don't think your car is legal if you have tint over OEM front windows..., NYC requires 70% light transmission which is basically OEM tint, anything over that will reduce it below 70% and would be considered illegal, I see NYPD stopping people left and right now for tint, next year you won't be able to pass inspection, it's part of the inspection process now.....just giving you a heads up..... only way your front is legal with tint is if the additional tint you put on is like clear saran wrap. If you take a light transmission meter to the front CX-5 windows, it'll read close to 70%. Trust me, I know all this because I failed inspection and had to peel off the tint...... notice all the tint removal signs everywhere now, also a lot of tint shops are closing because of the new law...

you can't just buy 70% tint and put it over your front OEM and think it will be legal, you have to consider the tint Mazda put into the glass from the factory.....

70% OEM x .70 additional tint = 49% light emission (you will fail, NYC law is 70%)

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

Last edited:
sorry, but I don't think your car is legal if you have tint over OEM front windows..., NYC requires 70% light transmission which is basically OEM tint, anything over that will reduce it below 70% and would be considered illegal, I see NYPD stopping people left and right now for tint, next year you won't be able to pass inspection, it's part of the inspection process now.....just giving you a heads up..... only way your front is legal with tint is if the additional tint you put on is like clear saran wrap. If you take a light transmission meter to the front CX-5 windows, it'll read close to 70%. Trust me, I know all this because I failed inspection and had to peel off the tint...... notice all the tint removal signs everywhere now, also a lot of tint shops are closing because of the new law...

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

well thats a shame... it's probably because they can't see who is inside the car when they pull you over which is prompting the cops to give out tickets. I personally like tints and got them on my car purely because it makes the car look cleaner and more sleek.

now my friend has 5% tints, and they look super illegal. If you tinted your windows to 35% I doubt any cop would stop you unless you live in a strict place like NY. I have 20% all around here in toronto (which has a 35% limit as far as I know) and I havent encountered any issues.

well thats a shame... it's probably because they can't see who is inside the car when they pull you over which is prompting the cops to give out tickets. I personally like tints and got them on my car purely because it makes the car look cleaner and more sleek.

now my friend has 5% tints, and they look super illegal. If you tinted your windows to 35% I doubt any cop would stop you unless you live in a strict place like NY. I have 20% all around here in toronto (which has a 35% limit as far as I know) and I havent encountered any issues.

yep, exactly, a couple of police officers were murdered last year because they couldn't see into a stopped tinted vehicle at night,

they don;t mess around now, anyone with tint in NYC now sticks out like a sore thumb and will get pulled over

especially with the new law that state inspection facilities must check for tint,

also any shop that gets caught passing tinted vehicle will get fined or their inspection licensed pulled,

police are running sting operations to see which shops are

passing illegal tints. I like 35% it's just right for night time driving and enough to block the sun but had to peel it off because of the new law.

5% is just ridiculous, you can't see anything at night..

Last edited:
Back