Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Fitting dash cam - can I remove some windscreen "dot matrix"?

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Fitting dash cam - can I remove some windscreen "dot matrix"?

Hi team

I picked up a Navman Miview 690 Dash Cam today to fit to my CX5 Akera.

Of course behind the rearview mirror is that big old box with all the safety system and rain sensors in it, and the windscreen glass round that box is surrounded by what I can best describe as a "dot matrix" kind of film/border. On the drivers side, this border extends quite widely, maybe a couple of inches, and continues up to the top edge of the windscreen.

And of course, the suction thingy for the dash cam won't stick to that dot matrix film. So i have temporarily attached it a bit lower, but this means that the cam ends up a bit below the rearview mirror.

Can I simply get a razor and trim a section of the plastic dot martix film away from beside the sensor box up to the top edge of the windscreen?

This would allow me to move the suction thing up higher and better position the camera behind the rearview mirror.

It just looks like a plastic film as far as I can see and i cant see any obvious reason why I cant just trim-peel it back where I want to. I just want to be 100% sure that trimming it back a bit is not going to cause any unexpected issues?
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-19-2017 at 06:13 PM.

2015 Mazda6 Touring Sonic Silver Sedan 2.5L

I wouldn't if I were you because those dot matrixes are part of your radios receiver. So if you want bad reception.....

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    I wouldn't if I were you because those dot matrixes are part of your radios receiver. So if you want bad reception.....
    Nah, i dont think so, it is basically cosmetic from what I can find thru the magic of google. The CX5 radio antenna is on the rear of the roof.

http://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of...on-windshield/

More I am reading, it appears it can never be removed, is baked into the glass.... comment from a window tinting guy:

"Sanding is the only way to remove the dot matrix, and is a complete waste of time/energy. I have tried every method known to man."

Edit:
    Here is what the guy from Pilkington glass said about the dot matrix section I am referring to:

On modern cars, there's another group of dots on the windshield right behind the rearview mirror. As shown in the clip below, these dots, called the "third visor frit," are there to help block the sun as it beams in from between the two front sun-visors.

Read more at https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/h...yB0evCH0VvU.99

So I have answered my own question - cant be done, I will leave it alone......
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-19-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Fitting dash cam - can I remove some windscreen "dot matrix"?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Nah, i dont think so, it is basically cosmetic from what I can find thru the magic of google. The CX5 radio antenna is on the rear of the roof.

http://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of...on-windshield/

More I am reading, it appears it can never be removed, is baked into the glass.... comment from a window tinting guy:

"Sanding is the only way to remove the dot matrix, and is a complete waste of time/energy. I have tried every method known to man."

Edit:
    Here is what the guy from Pilkington glass said about the dot matrix section I am referring to:

On modern cars, there's another group of dots on the windshield right behind the rearview mirror. As shown in the clip below, these dots, called the "third visor frit," are there to help block the sun as it beams in from between the two front sun-visors.

Read more at https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/h...yB0evCH0VvU.99

So I have answered my own question - cant be done, I will leave it alone......
    Yes those "dot matrix" or third visor frit is not the attenna for radio. I have a cracked windshield and I can see those dots serve only for blocking the sun. Yeah definitely those dots are difficult to remove.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Why attach by suction? My camera base is permanently attached with two-sided 3M mounting tape, partly on the dots and partly not. Hasn't budged one iota in 3 years.

photo DSC_0727_zpsahnfqhai.jpg

photo DSC_0729_zpsfgg3zkxg.jpg
    Last edited by minnesotaart; 06-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.

I learn something new everyday

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotaart View Post
    Why attach by suction? My camera base is permanently attached with two-sided 3M mounting tape, partly on the dots and partly not. Hasn't budged one iota in 3 years.

Because thats how the Navman is designed to be attached and is supplied with the suction mount.

Its not one of those wedge type designs.

Anyway no big deal, I think at the moment I am noticing it because its a new feature.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotaart View Post

Looking at same dash cam for my CX-5, how did you run power?

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    I learn something new everyday
    Me too! Had never really thought about what that dot matrix stuff was, but the info I found made sense.

Also, with the MY2106 CX5 there is no cigarette lighter socket in the front of the console, it was moved into the armrest with this model. Only have 2 x USB ports there now, beside the nav SD card slot.

So the power cable for the dash cam was only JUST long enough to route from the camera, round the windscreen, under the dash and then along the console beside the driver seat to the armrest. Made it, just!!

The good news is that the way the headliner is fitted it is an absolute breeze to run the cable around the windscreen edge, it simply pushes behing the headliner. Piece of cake!!

Plan B was to get a after market cable to plug into one of the USB ports. Actually I was a little surprised that the cable supplied didnt have a USB connector to the cig lighter socket on the end.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-19-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Well done

Registered Member

CX5

@moonlighter

Maybe it's 12v so they didn't provide a USB socket.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson de Leon View Post
    @moonlighter

Maybe it's 12v so they didn't provide a USB socket.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk
    I imagine it is 12v, but wouldnt matter - its the amps that matter. Specs for camera say +5v / 1 amp.

I see lots of cig lighter adapters that connect to USB cables.