TPMS Problem

A couple of years ago when these tire pressure sensors were relatively new and giving false warning lights ,I read on one of the automotive forums that people were hacking the system and only having the sensor in the spare tire to satisfy the "nanny" system.Might be worth investigating if someone wants to remove the sensors.

Although not directly related to this topic, I'm glad I bought my 2014 Touring.The idea was to get a new ride that had the basic creature comforts and was as simple and reliable as possible.Hence no cvt,turbo or timing belt.No auto climate control.No automatic stop/start (somebody shoot me) that was making it's debut a few places.Then Mazda comes out with electric parking brake and TPMS sensors in the wheels.LED headlights that gotta be expensive to fix after warranty runs out and other things.
Political situation aside, this world is getting more contradictory and bizarre.The automotive situation has more safety related features (mandated or otherwise) like lane departure warning,auto braking,adaptive cruise control etc to make driving more idiot proof and then they want to push driverless vehicles.Holy Sh*#t Batman !!!
Can't wait for driverless semi's if it ever happens.It seems like the over application of technology is increasing and common sense is decreasing.I can't be alone in my thinking.Well,enough rambling. Jmaz

Can't wait for driverless semi's if it ever happens.It seems like the over application of technology is increasing and common sense is decreasing.I can't be alone in my thinking.Well,enough rambling. Jmaz

October 26th... Tesla To Unveil Electric Semi Truck That Elon Musk Calls A 'Beast'

Tesla’s interest in jumping into the truck business has stirred up responses from established players in that industry. Last month, Cummins, a leading maker of diesel and natural gas engines for commercial trucks, unveiled a Class 7 heavy-duty truck cab with a 140 kWh battery pack that plans to sell to bus operators and commercial truck fleets in 2019.

In April, Toyota began testing a prototype Class 8 truck powered by hydrogen fuel cells that’s hauling cargo around the Port of Los Angeles. The Japanese automotive giant hasn’t said when such a truck will be sold commercially, though it intends to expand the test program in California. Toyota integrated its emission-free powertrain into Kenworth cab, which generates more than 670 horsepower from electricity generated by its fuel cell stacks -- enough to pull 80,000 pounds.

Navistar CEO Troy Clarke told Forbes on Wednesday he's looking at battery-powered options for the company's line of International trucks, without saying who it might work with. "We're very excited about the electrification of the vehicles. In the immediate term we're far more interested in batteries (rather than fuel cells) as the way to carry the energy around."

EDIT: Not quite driverless but I'm sure the Tesla one will have at least partial autonomy with driver in vehicle.

Interesting Mazda went back to valve stem TPMS sensors for '17. I just picked up an OEM sensor set for my GX to put on the winter rims. I can program the TPMS with Toyota Techstream so can still garage swap the winter tires myself. I like that the Mazda is a simple button reset.

You don't get the tire pressure on the older Mazda system but I don't get it either on my Infiniti or Lexus. The info is there just not made available in any interfaces in those vehicles. I can see all tire pressures including the spare with the Techstream on the GX.

I'm over 10 years on the TPMS sensors in my Infiniti. One did fail a few years in though....so they can last a long time.
Nobody knows if Mazda's TPMS can accept new unique ID's from a new set of TPMS tire pressure sensors with a simple reset. It may need a Mazda computer to take all new IDs from those new sensors like Lexus'. How expensive are those TPMS tire pressure sensors for your Lexus GX?

Back