Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPMS Problem

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow TPMS Problem

Quote Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
    This TPMS (or not) in 2017 Mazda CX-5 seems to be country or continent dependent specification. In Europe all new cars since few years back have to have TPMS so as to keep right tire pressure and save fuel (European unions environmental friendly law that increases the cost to the customer by 300 Euros on a set of tires). Sweden is exempt from that law since we change tires twice a year (winter to summer and vice versa) and have a full control of the tire pressure. But it does not help since all new cars come with TPMS in Sweden and that means we are forced to buy TPMS sensors for our winter tires too just like all of Europe.

Some Asian countries like Philippines are not required to have TPMS and Mazda supplies CX-5 without TPMS there.
    But TPMS has 2 designs. 1st-gen CX-5 uses ABS sensor calculating the difference of tire rotation on road tires to determine if you have a flat. 2nd-gen CX-5 uses dedicated tire pressure sensor integrated with valve stem for each wheel hence the direct tire pressure from 4 road tires are transmitted to the TPMS system. Unfortunately this TPMS tire pressure sensor with valve stem used for 2nd-gen CX-5 TPMS is expensive:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

I was referring to the direct TPMS and I know that they are expensive and the life time seems to be limited due to the battery in the TPMS. If you can get more than 5 years you are lucky. The after market ones have shorter life time. These are a pest no matter how you look at them. More cost to the motorist. It was better if they were connected on the out side rather than the inside of the rim so that changing would be easy. I may just use the winter tires without TPMS (since it is allowed here) and just put a black tape over the TPMS warning light.

Arrow TPMS Problem

Quote Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
    ⋯ I may just use the winter tires without TPMS (since it is allowed here) and just put a black tape over the TPMS warning light.
    Here you go ⋯

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Interesting Mazda went back to valve stem TPMS sensors for '17. I just picked up an OEM sensor set for my GX to put on the winter rims. I can program the TPMS with Toyota Techstream so can still garage swap the winter tires myself. I like that the Mazda is a simple button reset.

You don't get the tire pressure on the older Mazda system but I don't get it either on my Infiniti or Lexus. The info is there just not made available in any interfaces in those vehicles. I can see all tire pressures including the spare with the Techstream on the GX.

I'm over 10 years on the TPMS sensors in my Infiniti. One did fail a few years in though....so they can last a long time.
    NB1 Navigation Updates (995 NEW-8/2017) / Why Mazda moly oil? - Mazda TSBs / Mazda owners manuals / SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

==================
    Current Vehicles:

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package & i-ACTIV AWD - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 37K Miles
    '12 Lexus GX 460 Premium (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150) / Torsen with ATRAC AWD - 40K miles
    '07 Infiniti G35x w/tech (Nissan Skyline V36) / ATTESA E-TS AWD - 90K miles
    '00 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L TJ - 5 speed / NP231 PT Transfer Case - 115K miles

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

I would add a bit more air to all the tires and try holding the TPMS light one more time.

Registered Member

2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

A couple of years ago when these tire pressure sensors were relatively new and giving false warning lights ,I read on one of the automotive forums that people were hacking the system and only having the sensor in the spare tire to satisfy the "nanny" system.Might be worth investigating if someone wants to remove the sensors.

Although not directly related to this topic, I'm glad I bought my 2014 Touring.The idea was to get a new ride that had the basic creature comforts and was as simple and reliable as possible.Hence no cvt,turbo or timing belt.No auto climate control.No automatic stop/start (somebody shoot me) that was making it's debut a few places.Then Mazda comes out with electric parking brake and TPMS sensors in the wheels.LED headlights that gotta be expensive to fix after warranty runs out and other things.
    Political situation aside, this world is getting more contradictory and bizarre.The automotive situation has more safety related features (mandated or otherwise) like lane departure warning,auto braking,adaptive cruise control etc to make driving more idiot proof and then they want to push driverless vehicles.Holy Sh*#t Batman !!!
    Can't wait for driverless semi's if it ever happens.It seems like the over application of technology is increasing and common sense is decreasing.I can't be alone in my thinking.Well,enough rambling. Jmaz

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    Can't wait for driverless semi's if it ever happens.It seems like the over application of technology is increasing and common sense is decreasing.I can't be alone in my thinking.Well,enough rambling. Jmaz
    October 26th... Tesla To Unveil Electric Semi Truck That Elon Musk Calls A 'Beast'

Tesla’s interest in jumping into the truck business has stirred up responses from established players in that industry. Last month, Cummins, a leading maker of diesel and natural gas engines for commercial trucks, unveiled a Class 7 heavy-duty truck cab with a 140 kWh battery pack that plans to sell to bus operators and commercial truck fleets in 2019.

In April, Toyota began testing a prototype Class 8 truck powered by hydrogen fuel cells that’s hauling cargo around the Port of Los Angeles. The Japanese automotive giant hasn’t said when such a truck will be sold commercially, though it intends to expand the test program in California. Toyota integrated its emission-free powertrain into Kenworth cab, which generates more than 670 horsepower from electricity generated by its fuel cell stacks -- enough to pull 80,000 pounds.

Navistar CEO Troy Clarke told Forbes on Wednesday he's looking at battery-powered options for the company's line of International trucks, without saying who it might work with. "We're very excited about the electrification of the vehicles. In the immediate term we're far more interested in batteries (rather than fuel cells) as the way to carry the energy around."

EDIT: Not quite driverless but I'm sure the Tesla one will have at least partial autonomy with driver in vehicle.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Arrow TPMS Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Interesting Mazda went back to valve stem TPMS sensors for '17. I just picked up an OEM sensor set for my GX to put on the winter rims. I can program the TPMS with Toyota Techstream so can still garage swap the winter tires myself. I like that the Mazda is a simple button reset.

You don't get the tire pressure on the older Mazda system but I don't get it either on my Infiniti or Lexus. The info is there just not made available in any interfaces in those vehicles. I can see all tire pressures including the spare with the Techstream on the GX.

I'm over 10 years on the TPMS sensors in my Infiniti. One did fail a few years in though....so they can last a long time.
    Nobody knows if Mazda's TPMS can accept new unique ID's from a new set of TPMS tire pressure sensors with a simple reset. It may need a Mazda computer to take all new IDs from those new sensors like Lexus'. How expensive are those TPMS tire pressure sensors for your Lexus GX?

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    How expensive are those TPMS tire pressure sensors for your Lexus GX?
    Dealer pricing is around $60-$70 per sensor. I got an eBay deal for four new ones for $135.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12