TPMS Problem

aberger

:
CX3
I have a 2017 CX3 and the TPMS light comes on and the tire pressure is fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

CX-3 forum has almost no posts. So I think it is OK to post the question here in a more active forum (with a heads-up seeking any assistance from the CX-5 community).

aberger,

Also, search is your friend on this site. Lots of posts available on many topics. Lots of similarities among the Mazda line.

I have a 2017 CX3 and the TPMS light comes on and the tire pressure is fine. Is anyone else having this problem?
Many people have had this TPMS light on which requires a reset. Just follow the steps in your CX-3 Smart Start Guide for the reset procedure. If the TPMS light comes on again and the tire pressure on all 4 are still correct, then take your CX-3 to your Mazda dealer for warranty service assuming you still have warranty.

Does the 2017 CX3 TPMS use a valve stem sensor or does it use the wheel rotation sensor?

Do your wheels have a metal or a rubber valve stem?

Check and adjust all 4 tire pressures, and follow the vehicle instructions to reset the TPMS.

Im on a hunt for OEM TPMS valves because my upcoming unit does not have TPMS.

However, I'm having second thoughts because there's this paranoid part of me that tells me too much integration with the Mazda system can also provide future problems unlike stand alone TPMS units.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Thank you for your feedback. I have reset after checking tires and within 500 miles the light comes on again. I'll take it to the dealer.

I can't seem to find TPMS valves for my upcoming 2017 CX-5. Does anybody here know where I can get one?
Since it's brand new hence the best way to find this pressure sensor valve stem is from your friendly Mazda dealer. Or at least you can find part number from them and search the places who may carry the pressure sensor valve stem.

Last edited:
Thanks yrwei52. Unfortunately here in the Philippines, Mazda dealers here are normally "at lost" when you inquire about those stuffs. I've tried the Mazda rite and I can't get the right part. Do you know of any other Mazda website where I can locate the part number?

Thanks yrwei52. Unfortunately here in the Philippines, Mazda dealers here are normally "at lost" when you inquire about those stuffs. I've tried the Mazda rite and I can't get the right part. Do you know of any other Mazda website where I can locate the part number?
For some reason Mazda parts are slow to get published in public. I had experienced problem by my insurance adjuster whose system didn't have any parts info on 2016 Mazda a year after we bought our CX-5! But I do know my Mazda dealer does have an internal system listing the latest parts which is not available in public. Unfortunately I'm out of country right now or I can help you finding the part number from my Mazda dealer.

For some reason Mazda parts are slow to get published in public. I had experienced problem by my insurance adjuster whose system didn't have any parts info on 2016 Mazda a year after we bought our CX-5! But I do know my Mazda dealer does have an internal system listing the latest parts which is not available in public. Unfortunately I'm out of country right now or I can help you finding the part number from my Mazda dealer.
Mazdapartmed replied to me. The 2017 CX-5 does not come with TPMS valves and does not have a system for incorporation. Back to aftermarket TPMS. Hehe!

Thanks for your patient replies!

This TPMS (or not) in 2017 Mazda CX-5 seems to be country or continent dependent specification. In Europe all new cars since few years back have to have TPMS so as to keep right tire pressure and save fuel (European unions environmental friendly law that increases the cost to the customer by 300 Euros on a set of tires). Sweden is exempt from that law since we change tires twice a year (winter to summer and vice versa) and have a full control of the tire pressure. But it does not help since all new cars come with TPMS in Sweden and that means we are forced to buy TPMS sensors for our winter tires too just like all of Europe.

Some Asian countries like Philippines are not required to have TPMS and Mazda supplies CX-5 without TPMS there.

This TPMS (or not) in 2017 Mazda CX-5 seems to be country or continent dependent specification. In Europe all new cars since few years back have to have TPMS so as to keep right tire pressure and save fuel (European unions environmental friendly law that increases the cost to the customer by 300 Euros on a set of tires). Sweden is exempt from that law since we change tires twice a year (winter to summer and vice versa) and have a full control of the tire pressure. But it does not help since all new cars come with TPMS in Sweden and that means we are forced to buy TPMS sensors for our winter tires too just like all of Europe.

Some Asian countries like Philippines are not required to have TPMS and Mazda supplies CX-5 without TPMS there.
But TPMS has 2 designs. 1st-gen CX-5 uses ABS sensor calculating the difference of tire rotation on road tires to determine if you have a flat. 2nd-gen CX-5 uses dedicated tire pressure sensor integrated with valve stem for each wheel hence the direct tire pressure from 4 road tires are transmitted to the TPMS system. Unfortunately this TPMS tire pressure sensor with valve stem used for 2nd-gen CX-5 TPMS is expensive:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

I was referring to the direct TPMS and I know that they are expensive and the life time seems to be limited due to the battery in the TPMS. If you can get more than 5 years you are lucky. The after market ones have shorter life time. These are a pest no matter how you look at them. More cost to the motorist. It was better if they were connected on the out side rather than the inside of the rim so that changing would be easy. I may just use the winter tires without TPMS (since it is allowed here) and just put a black tape over the TPMS warning light.

Interesting Mazda went back to valve stem TPMS sensors for '17. I just picked up an OEM sensor set for my GX to put on the winter rims. I can program the TPMS with Toyota Techstream so can still garage swap the winter tires myself. I like that the Mazda is a simple button reset.

You don't get the tire pressure on the older Mazda system but I don't get it either on my Infiniti or Lexus. The info is there just not made available in any interfaces in those vehicles. I can see all tire pressures including the spare with the Techstream on the GX.

I'm over 10 years on the TPMS sensors in my Infiniti. One did fail a few years in though....so they can last a long time.

I would add a bit more air to all the tires and try holding the TPMS light one more time.

Back