Rusted back Break pads

:
2019 CX5 GT-R
Hello Members
My 2016 cx5 hardly done 10k, I recently noticed the back calipers looks like rusted. The front ones shows as good as new. At times when i reverse the car in the morning i hear a faint noise form the back tyres.
Here in Toronto though they use salt in winter last winter was very mild and i washed the car every week.

Please share your thoughts and what can be done.

Regards
PMA

Rear Calipers.jpgRear Calipers-2.jpg

With such low mileage, looks like your CX5 has sat more than it has been driven.

Not much can be done other than to have the rotors turned/replaced and a brake service to ensure the sliders are not seizing.

Perhaps while apart, you can get the calipers painted.(try Simply Tire in Downsview)

After washing the car, never let it sit. Always drive around and apply the brakes to heat up the rotors and scrape away the surface rust and spin out the water in the cooling veins in the front rotors.

Salt is disgusting here in Toronto and including the salt brine they use to pretreat the roads.

Hello Members
My 2016 cx5 hardly done 10k, I recently noticed the back calipers looks like rusted. The front ones shows as good as new. At times when i reverse the car in the morning i hear a faint noise form the back tyres.
Here in Toronto though they use salt in winter last winter was very mild and i washed the car every week.

Please share your thoughts and what can be done.

Regards
PMA

View attachment 216930View attachment 216931

Last edited:
They do sometimes corrode but it doesn't actually harm. I think that brake where you can see the disc might have a problem in that it is running hot. There is a TSB which covers modified calipers if you have the electronic hand brake and if they change them you'll be back to new again. If not a wire brush and some good paint does the trick. I did my fronts recently.

IMG_3102_zpstxmytqu0.jpg

Back