Extended warranty: yay or nay?

This is one strange dude.

Agreed. You got blocked for having a different opinion on extended warranties. Now that's silly.

I'm of the same camp as you. It overlaps in coverage time with the factory warranty, so what's the point? If you are high mileage per year like Uno and spent how much on it, then what's the point? It would not last you very much longer than the factory warranty and you're out what...$2k-ish? Eh.

Extended warranty should kick in after factory warranty ends. Pure and simple :)

PaulZooms appears to be saying his warranty is bumper to bumper for up to 9 years or 90k miles for $2k. A LED headlight assembly replacement is about $1,500 with labor, I'd guess.

Peace of mind has a different value for each individual. I agree high mileage users usually at a disadvantage.

YMMV

A extended warranty can go for 1 day after the manufacturer's warranty and be a good value, if it's priced at a level that makes it work.

The problem, again, is that we can't predict the likelihood of repairs being needed, or the cost of them, in any way to effectively evaluate the price. As such, the operative assumption has to be, if they are selling it to me, and getting a commission, that commission at a minimum means it's a bad value, regardless of your history, experience, whatever.

I'll leave again.

Agreed. You got blocked for having a different opinion on extended warranties. ...

Actually, I blocked him for badgering me 6x times and calling me an SOB. After a half dozen confused challenges and him putting words in my mouth, I had enough. I've never blocked anyone before on dozens of different forums and hope not to have to again. He brought new meaning to argumentative.

He's free to believe as he wants, and so am I without having to deal with his confused logic. He clearly doesn't understand that every car company sells warranties "up to" and wants it to be "on top of" x years and y miles.

Agreed. You got blocked for having a different opinion on extended warranties. Now that's silly.

Geico is $115 year - half the $2K mentioned in this post. There are over 30 line items that aren't included in the drivetrain warranty that could be costly to replace/repair (I.E. safety and tech packages). Some of these items are 1st year inclusions.

I've never owned a Mazda. My expectations are high. I will "TRUST" but have a plan B.

Am I the only one that wasn't offered an extended warranty? LOL. That I would have passed on....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This thread is about extended warranties, correct?

You mention that the rear diff was replaced. Was it replaced under the new car manufacturer warranty or an extended warranty?
Given that you currently has 62K miles on your car, I'm guessing it was the manufacturer warranty.
If so, it proves the point I made earlier and you tried to dispute!

Even if you buy an extended warranty from Mazda, you are gaining very little with your driving style.
Manufacturer warranty is good through 60K miles. An extended warranty gets you to what, 100K, which is an additional ONE year of coverage for you.
Because nothing ever breaks between 36 and 100k miles ever...
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860511-A-C-compressor-broken

And nothing in the driveline could possibly die between 60 and 100k miles...

Because nothing ever breaks between 36 and 100k miles ever...
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860511-A-C-compressor-broken

And nothing in the driveline could possibly die between 60 and 100k miles...
True but I think his point was that since you are putting 40k miles a year on, that an extended 90k mile warranty lasts you at best a year past normal warranty.

Which hey, if that's what you want, that's what you want.

Everyone approaches the warranty game differently.

I had an extended warranty on a used car. Think I paid an extra grand with a $500 deductible. Wear items aren't covered. I had one thing covered that did break: water pump. $650. After my deductible: $150 was covered. Yea, I got screwed.

Actually, I blocked him for badgering me 6x times and calling me an SOB. After a half dozen confused challenges and him putting words in my mouth, I had enough. I've never blocked anyone before on dozens of different forums and hope not to have to again. He brought new meaning to argumentative.

He's free to believe as he wants, and so am I without having to deal with his confused logic. He clearly doesn't understand that every car company sells warranties "up to" and wants it to be "on top of" x years and y miles.

I think Paul must be in some alternate universe as the rest of us.

I purchased the 7yr/100k extended warranty, it was around $1700. I might or might not need it but it's a good piece of mind especially for this car with so much tech in it. I bought the same extended warranty when I had my 2014 mazda3 and not long after the manufacturer warranty ended I had to use the extended warranty to fix the heads up display because the plastic screen would very often not come up upon starting the car and would require turning off and on the car again to fix. The part alone was around $700 I was told, not sure how much labor was. Traded in my mazda3 for the cx-5 and will be getting a refund for the warranty, prorated. I mean it may be a waste of money up front but in the long run I have little to worry about, at least for the next 7 years or 100k lol

Hell the "technology" might be the most reliable part of the car. LOL

I might or might not need it but it's a good piece of mind especially for this car with so much tech in it.

This is this EXACT sales pitch used by F&I people across the country to sell these extended warranties.

From my Mom in Florida (who bought a Kia) to family in Ohio (who bought Dodge & Ford), they all heard this same line...
"With so much technology in these cars, you will save money by buying the extended warranty, if just one thing goes wrong. It is great piece of mind."

Unobtanium, you need to move to Canada... we have unlimited mileage warranty standard :)

https://www.mazda.ca/en/warranty/mazda-unlimited-warranty/

Mazda vehicles are designed to be driven, and to prove it, we’ve introduced Mazda Unlimited – the only warranty program of its kind in Canada.

Mazda Unlimited features unlimited mileage for our 3-YEAR New Vehicle, 3-YEAR Roadside Assistance, 5-YEAR Powertrain and 7-YEAR Anti-Perforation warranties, so you can focus on every thrilling moment spent behind the wheel instead of the odometer.

Standard on all new models.

This is an example of buying an extended warranty based on emotion (fear, concern, anxiety) instead of reason (facts, logic, statistics).

You cited ONE person who had a transmission failure that would have been covered by an extended warranty, as a reason to spend ~$2K on a warranty. In that same thread, it was mentioned that Mazda would cover labor, and a transmission could be purchased for $1000-$1800.

But let's just assume this ONE person would have made out well financially by buying the warranty.
Should that have any influence whatsoever on whether future owners should buy a warranty? Is this relevant at all?
- It looks like Mazda sold around 445,000 CX-5's between 2012 - 2016.
- How many of those had transmission failures between 60,000 and 99,999 miles (which would be covered by an extended warranty)?

I'm guessing you have no clue. But because you react based on emotion, you link to this one poor guy that fits this scenario.
I don't know what the number is either, but I'm guessing it is tiny.
If it is 1 out of every 500, then you have a 0.2% chance of being impacted. If it is 1 out of every 1000, your chance is 0.1%.

This is an example of buying an extended warranty based on emotion (fear, concern, anxiety) instead of reason (facts, logic, statistics).

You cited ONE person who had a transmission failure that would have been covered by an extended warranty, as a reason to spend ~$2K on a warranty. In that same thread, it was mentioned that Mazda would cover labor, and a transmission could be purchased for $1000-$1800.

But let's just assume this ONE person would have made out well financially by buying the warranty.
Should that have any influence whatsoever on whether future owners should buy a warranty? Is this relevant at all?
- It looks like Mazda sold around 445,000 CX-5's between 2012 - 2016.
- How many of those had transmission failures between 60,000 and 99,999 miles (which would be covered by an extended warranty)?

I'm guessing you have no clue. But because you react based on emotion, you link to this one poor guy that fits this scenario.
I don't know what the number is either, but I'm guessing it is tiny.
If it is 1 out of every 500, then you have a 0.2% chance of being impacted. If it is 1 out of every 1000, your chance is 0.1%.
I'm on my second CX5. My first CX5 had a trans replacement at 32k miles, my second trans problem in the same vehicle showed up at 70k thousand miles. So I speak from personal experience, NOT emotion based. Don't be so quick to judge just because you have a difference of opinion. The thread you refer to stated a new trans would cost 5 grand, the cheaper trans price you refer to was from a scrap yard and didn't include installation costs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back