2017 CX5 Windshield Replacement

Mine is cracked too, a gift from the freeway on my trip home from Baton Rouge. The initiating chip is right in the middle of the radar stuff (big square under rear view mirror) but everything works so I'm letting it go until it comes across my field of vision. Right now it looks like upside cow horns, with a twist on the right. What crappy glass!

It is my opinion that the glass has a lot of stress in it. The windshields I had crack from Mazda, I was able to almost shove a fingernail into. That tells me there was stress in the glass, as one would think the glass would not "spread" at the cracked spot like that otherwise. Also, ANYTHING cracked them. Sometimes a tiny tiny rock. My Safelite? It's taken some real smacks, and all I get is a little divot in the glass with that "powder" from the crushed glass at impact. No cracks at all. Been the better part of a year, now, and it's holding up fine.

Do you know if a stone hit it, or rather, if it just appeared? I saw dozens of complaints from 2015 and 2016 owners having cracked windshields w/out any type of impact. I hope it doesn't happen with 2017 too.

It definitely was hit with a stone - I heard the noise + can see the stone hit on the glass + the resulting crack.

Sadly this just happened to me a few days ago on my new CX-5, a huge rock hit and it cracked inside and out badly. For comparison I had an old Toyota Matrix for 14 years with 2 hard impact cracks sitting the past 8 years that never expanded.

Anyway I'm not sure how much it will cost but I don't have all the sensors so hopefully won't be too bad... maybe...

I am having similar problems with a CX-5 windshield(s). I have never had to replace a windshield on any car until the purchase of this 2017 CX-5 Touring Mazda and I am on windshield #3. The vehicle has 30K miles on it. The current windshield developed 3 cracks near three of the corners on the same day. They start about 2" from the edge and progressively get bigger.

Why no recall Mazda? If you search on the internet, this is a very common problem!

I am having similar problems with a CX-5 windshield(s). I have never had to replace a windshield on any car until the purchase of this 2017 CX-5 Touring Mazda and I am on windshield #3. The vehicle has 30K miles on it. The current windshield developed 3 cracks near three of the corners on the same day. They start about 2" from the edge and progressively get bigger.

Why no recall Mazda? If you search on the internet, this is a very common problem!

After my first OEM, I went Safelite house brand. The last 2 years have been cracked glass free. OEM sucks.

Back