IIHS top safety pick plus: Mazda CX 9

bulkdata

:
Mazda CX 9
The IIHS has finally posted safety ratings for the 2017 Mazda CX 9.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-9-4-door-suv

Good news is that it's a Top Safety Pick Plus with the highest rating in all categories except headlights and child anchors (both acceptable).

The mixed news is that the frontal/side safety ratings only apply to the 2017 model made after November 2016. Apparently Mazda changed how the side airbags deploy on that date.

definitely a huge improvement over 2015 and previous years

this is just downright scary

why don't they just follow Volvo's lead and side skirt the entire test instead of having the driver take the full brunt of the impact

This could be the reason why it took them so long to do this test. They knew something was wrong with the 2016.

in the ANCAP 2016 test the side curtains don't deploy, are they suppose to? I checked other car manufacturers and even for frontal crash tests in some vehicles the side curtains deploy, the 2016 doesn't but in today's 2017 IIHS release the test shows the side curtains deploy

Below is 2016 ANCAP video, the side curtains don't deploy, not sure whether they should or shouldn't so I'm not an authority in this area but just pointing out the difference....

For comparison, Escalade side curtains deploy

Last edited:
definitely a huge improvement over 2015 and previous years

this is just downright scary

The small overlap test was introduced in 2012. Most vehicles designed before this year performed poorly.
The 1st gen CX-9 was designed in 2006, an eternity ago in car years. So it really stuck out as poor when it was still selling through 2015.

why don't they just follow Volvo's lead and side skirt the entire test instead of having the driver take the full brunt of the impact

It is interesting that the XC-90 just slides on by. It's the only vehicle I know of that performs this way in the small overlap. Doesn't mean you're free and clear though. You could be pushed into a pole or some other object to your right after not being stopped by the left obstruction.

The small overlap test was introduced in 2012. Most vehicles designed before this year performed poorly.
The 1st gen CX-9 was designed in 2006, an eternity ago in car years. So it really stuck out as poor when it was still selling through 2015.

It is interesting that the XC-90 just slides on by. It's the only vehicle I know of that performs this way in the small overlap. Doesn't mean you're free and clear though. You could be pushed into a pole or some other object to your right after not being stopped by the left obstruction.

I think part of the reason why Volvo vehicles really perform better than other manufacturers and that most of their vehicles if not all are rated as top safety pick plus is mainly due to the design and use of boron or high strength steel that's 4 times stronger than regular steel...wish other car manufacturers would follow Volvo's lead but of course that'll cost a lot of money on R&D and high strength steel

Good news

This is a good news. Though we will have to watch for nhtsa rating, as the 16 CX 5 earned good rating in iihs, but failed the pole test of nhtsa. This news with the recently announced 1000$ rebate, brings me much closer to buying one.

Back