Hood vibration fixed! New cowl seal installed per TSB.

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I can't find the actual TSB number for this, but it seems to be an updated version of 09-029/12 which only showed adding vibration damping sealant to the hood, and adjusting the hood bumpers: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-RU1LNnJJVEEzTTA/edit

The updated version is here, which calls for a new revised cowl trim seal which is supposedly taller, to help prevent hood movement while driving: https://mazda.oemdtc.com/272/hood-vibrates-when-driving-at-highway-speeds-2013-2014-mazda-cx-5

So I ordered the new seal last week, PN KD53-56-760A, for about $35 shipped. Came with all 15 little plastic clips. Following the order of the TSB, I removed the old seal and installed the new revised seal yesterday evening. Next I removed the hood liner (lost one of the plastic clips in the process DOH!), and checked those spots of sealant along the back edge of the hood. Indeed several of them had cracked loose. I don't have access to the specified Duramix NVH dampening sealant material, so I took some 1/4" foam backer rod I had in the garage, cut little pieces and stuffed them into the same spaces where it showed putting the sealant. Then I adjusted the hood bumpers as specified, drove out onto the interstate and WOOHOO no more hood vibrations! Everything seems rock solid now! (yippy)

I don't have pics of installing the rubber seal (it's really easy, and the old one came out easily without tools), but here's what the foam backer rod looks like, inserted in between the hood skin and frame, 14 total pieces, 7 each side of the hood centerline:

F87D631F-0113-4BFD-AAED-BEEE649E0DE2_zpsz08vqqbd.jpg

72A84083-B977-4E85-8352-706E3A0EB0D5_zpsfraijybt.jpg

12D1254A-7F9C-4F27-BB74-3BA1D0BDEF88_zps0kfpmi4x.jpg

Looks good. Cleaner too, the duramix fix is kind of messy if the techs don't bother to clean it up.

What about when the sheet metal lifts at speed? Won't the backer rod want to fall out? The sealer is meant to form an adhesive bond between the skin and frame.

What about when the sheet metal lifts at speed? Won't the backer rod want to fall out? The sealer is meant to form an adhesive bond between the skin and frame.

We'll find out I guess. I couldn't see the hood moving at all at 75 mph so hopefully they won't fall out.

Back