Mazda radar cruise control with stop and go

I've been driving my 2017 CX5 for 3 weeks now but I have never experience yet, therefore, unable to verify if indeed it breaks on its own. I've seen BREAK message and beeps more than once but never seen applied break on its own. Maybe my foot is quicker than the SCBS/SBS system ;)

You mean BRAKE. If BREAK comes up on your screen, you should be worried something is indeed broken ;)

That is the old version. See below for current version:

image.png
Well, the description you quoted is SCBS Forward/Reverse "with Pedestrain Recognition". I have never heard Mazda's SCBS has Pedestrain Recognition capability, not to mention the SCBS Reverse function is not available in the US. Our SCBS is only operative between 2.5~18.6 mph low driving speed, no Reverse function, and no Pedestrain Recognition capability.

Well, the description you quoted is SCBS Forward/Reverse "with Pedestrain Recognition". I have never heard Mazda's SCBS has Pedestrain Recognition capability, not to mention the SCBS Reverse function is not available in the US. Our SCBS is only operative between 2.5~18.6 mph low driving speed, no Reverse function, and no Pedestrain Recognition capability.

SCBS Forward/Reverse "with Pedestrian Recognition" is an evolution (next version if you will) of your SCBS.

So for us, it works at higher speeds now.

SCBS reverse has been available on Mazda vehicles here since 2015 (with the 6 getting it first). It is now being expanded to more vehicles in the range.

As I was driving a long, the car in front of me decided to slowly make a right turn then decides to make a left and then slows down and tries to make a u turn. I got a bit annoyed and tried to change lanes as I got close to the car. Low and behold the car braked on its own to a screeching halt. Maybe the sensor is a bit too sensitive? I had plenty of room before I come close to the car in front, it was a bit embarrassing too lol Well good thing with this car, it makes me drive more civilized now. Can't drive the same way I used to with the mazda 3 when I get a bit of road rage :/ I feel more mature driving this car lol

They have probably set the software to er on the side of caution

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh boy... this thread is a front bumper-saver.
Was meaning to test SBS later then I remembered not getting the technology package. (hand)

Last edited:
Gals and Guys: I totally know this is a CX-5 thread but it's the most helpful I've found on the issue of what I hope is Mazda's CURRENT Cruise with Stop and Go so help please! ;(

I need to decide if I wish to buy out the lease on my current 2015 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate or perhaps lease or buy a 2017/1018 Mazda 6. Tech is what matters to me so I seek some insight. My Gennie has adaptive cruise control which can be set – even at speeds below 16 miles an hour – so that it will bring the car to a full stop in heavy traffic and then, when the car in front moves, without intervention move it again and stop and again and stop ad infinitum. This means that when stuck in a major traffic jam you are not sitting there moving your foot from brake to gas to brake to gas... Like the CX5 as described in this thread, after a stop of three seconds you tap a switch on the steering wheel to have the car resume moving forward and again stop. While the system is not perfect - and definitely leads to big gaps in which cars can slip in as everyone complains - it does mean that as a New Yorker when stuck in traffic at the Lincoln tunnel for an hour I have not so exhausted my foot that I can't walk afterward.

Am I right that what's on the Mazda line - CX5 and post-2017 the Mazda 6 - sounds just like what my Gennie can do? I have spent hours trying to find a definitive answer to this and I cannot. Note that I'm in the United States and so it must be the US versions.

Thanks for any input! Alley

Gals and Guys: I totally know this is a CX-5 thread but it's the most helpful I've found on the issue of what I hope is Mazda's CURRENT Cruise with Stop and Go so help please! ;(

I need to decide if I wish to buy out the lease on my current 2015 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate or perhaps lease or buy a 2017/1018 Mazda 6. Tech is what matters to me so I seek some insight. My Gennie has adaptive cruise control which can be set – even at speeds below 16 miles an hour – so that it will bring the car to a full stop in heavy traffic and then, when the car in front moves, without intervention move it again and stop and again and stop ad infinitum. This means that when stuck in a major traffic jam you are not sitting there moving your foot from brake to gas to brake to gas... Like the CX5 as described in this thread, after a stop of three seconds you tap a switch on the steering wheel to have the car resume moving forward and again stop. While the system is not perfect - and definitely leads to big gaps in which cars can slip in as everyone complains - it does mean that as a New Yorker when stuck in traffic at the Lincoln tunnel for an hour I have not so exhausted my foot that I can't walk afterward.

Am I right that what's on the Mazda line - CX5 and post-2017 the Mazda 6 - sounds just like what my Gennie can do? I have spent hours trying to find a definitive answer to this and I cannot. Note that I'm in the United States and so it must be the US versions.

Thanks for any input! Alley

The 2017 CX-5 does as follows:

From USA brochure :- "This system works within a set speed range to help maintain a safe following distance from the car ahead, alerting you when it senses your vehicle fast approaching the one ahead. If the vehicle ahead stops, your vehicle will automatically stop and hold in a standing start until you resume driving. An alert function lets you know when the car ahead has pulled away."

Note: Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. There are limitations to the range and detection of the system. Driver action is required to resume MRCC with Stop & Go after a complete stop.

From Australia (where I am) brochure :- "MRCC automatically adjusts vehicle speed to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead. It’s able to bring the car to a complete stop in traffic and take off again once the traffic moves (if the stop is less than 3 seconds). If a complete stop exceeds three seconds, the car waits for the other driver to initiate acceleration."

So our MRCC with Stop & Go is slightly different from yours as it will take off by itself after a stop exceeds 3 seconds. From what it says above, yours may not

The current 2017 Mazda 6 doesn't have MRCC with Stop & Go but should be on it's way. No ETA

Last edited:
Gals and Guys:
Am I right that what's on the Mazda line - CX5 and post-2017 the Mazda 6

You are 100% correct on the 2017 CX-5. Once the vehicle stops for more than 3 seconds you must either tap the gas or press the RESUME to start going again, but it is infinitly better than playing footsie between the gas and brake. Ive used it extensively in NJ shore traffic this year and it makes traffic much more bearable. I cannot speak to the Mazda 6

You are 100% correct on the 2017 CX-5. Once the vehicle stops for more than 3 seconds you must either tap the gas or press the RESUME to start going again, but it is infinitly better than playing footsie between the gas and brake. Ive used it extensively in NJ shore traffic this year and it makes traffic much more bearable. I cannot speak to the Mazda 6

But right before PVQ's POSITIVELY helpful information is Xeler8ing's NEGATIVE information:

"Xeler8ing: The 2017 CX-5 does as follows: From USA brochure :- "This system works within a set speed range to help maintain a safe following distance from the car ahead, alerting you when it senses your vehicle fast approaching the one ahead. If the vehicle ahead stops, your vehicle will automatically stop and hold in a standing start until you resume driving. An alert function lets you know when the car ahead has pulled away."

--Note: Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. There are limitations to the range and detection of the system. Driver action is required to resume MRCC with Stop & Go after a complete stop.

--From Australia (where I am) brochure :- "MRCC automatically adjusts vehicle speed to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead. Its able to bring the car to a complete stop in traffic and take off again once the traffic moves (if the stop is less than 3 seconds). If a complete stop exceeds three seconds, the car waits for the other driver to initiate acceleration." So our MRCC with Stop & Go is slightly different from yours as it will take off by itself after a stop exceeds 3 seconds. From what it says above, yours may not ..."

First of all a big THANK YOU to both of you!

See my problem: this flat contradiction (admittedly with oceans between) is precisely why I'm not sure. I am inclined to trust PVQ as they actually drive the vehicle IN THE US themselves. However, assuming Xeler8ing IS quoting the -2017- brochure the language itself is useless! I mean what does "until you resume driving" mean? Until you put your foot on the gas? Until you actively tap the Resume button? Is the difference only that once you stop you must ALWAYS ACT which can just be by hitting resume and all you lose is the three-second grace period? If "resume driving" means you MUST tap the gas pedal, then there would be a flat contradiction as there would be NO resume button ....

So confusion still reigns!

Please keep the input coming and we'll figure this out.

Alley

Like PVQ, I have a US 2017 CX-5 GT which includes the MRCC with Stop & Go, and as PVQ said you do have to tap the steering wheel button or the accelerator if you are stopped for more than 3 seconds. The symbol on the dash (and HUD, since I have the Premium Pkg) turns from green to white to indicate that the 3 seconds has expired.

According to the Mazda USA web site, the 2017 Mazda 6 has "Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Close Proximity Warning", not "Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go". Don't know if the 2018 model will have it or not. Your best bet is to go to a Mazda dealer and test drive a 6 with MRCC and find out what it actually does.

Like PVQ, I have a US 2017 CX-5 GT which includes the MRCC with Stop & Go, and as PVQ said you do have to tap the steering wheel button or the accelerator if you are stopped for more than 3 seconds. The symbol on the dash (and HUD, since I have the Premium Pkg) turns from green to white to indicate that the 3 seconds has expired.

According to the Mazda USA web site, the 2017 Mazda 6 has "Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Close Proximity Warning", not "Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go". Don't know if the 2018 model will have it or not. Your best bet is to go to a Mazda dealer and test drive a 6 with MRCC and find out what it actually does.

2017 6 doesn't have MRCC with stop go. Hence going for a test drive now is probably a waste of time. Better to wait till the updated model is released

Last edited:
But right before PVQ's POSITIVELY helpful information is Xeler8ing's NEGATIVE information:

"Xeler8ing: The 2017 CX-5 does as follows: From USA brochure :- "This system works within a set speed range to help maintain a safe following distance from the car ahead, alerting you when it senses your vehicle fast approaching the one ahead. If the vehicle ahead stops, your vehicle will automatically stop and hold in a standing start until you resume driving. An alert function lets you know when the car ahead has pulled away."

--Note: Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. There are limitations to the range and detection of the system. Driver action is required to resume MRCC with Stop & Go after a complete stop.

--From Australia (where I am) brochure :- "MRCC automatically adjusts vehicle speed to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead. It’s able to bring the car to a complete stop in traffic and take off again once the traffic moves (if the stop is less than 3 seconds). If a complete stop exceeds three seconds, the car waits for the other driver to initiate acceleration." So our MRCC with Stop & Go is slightly different from yours as it will take off by itself after a stop exceeds 3 seconds. From what it says above, yours may not ..."

First of all a big THANK YOU to both of you!

See my problem: this flat contradiction (admittedly with oceans between) is precisely why I'm not sure. I am inclined to trust PVQ as they actually drive the vehicle IN THE US themselves. However, assuming Xeler8ing IS quoting the -2017- brochure the language itself is useless! I mean what does "until you resume driving" mean? Until you put your foot on the gas? Until you actively tap the Resume button? Is the difference only that once you stop you must ALWAYS ACT which can just be by hitting resume and all you lose is the three-second grace period? If "resume driving" means you MUST tap the gas pedal, then there would be a flat contradiction as there would be NO resume button ....

So confusion still reigns!

Please keep the input coming and we'll figure this out.

Alley

There is no negative information here by me. Just quoting what has been said and seems clear to me.

In your case (USA), driver input be it press resume button or press the gas pedal is required after a significant stop (more than 3 seconds) is needed.

Over here in Australia, no such driver input is needed as If a complete stop exceeds three seconds, the car waits for the other driver to initiate acceleration."

In a nutshell:

• USA - driver needs to do something if stop is longer than 3 seconds because vehicle won't automatically resume driving
  • Australia - driver does nothing if stop is longer than 3 seconds as vehicle waits for other vehicle to move before resume driving

Last edited:
Okay Xeler8ing! Thank you so much but I'm afraid what you're saying is a little confusing to me.

Aside from your valuable insight into whether the --US 2017 Mazda 6 -- has Stop and Go - which it looks like it may not - how the AUSTRALIAN version works is a little confusing.

As I see it, on ANY vehicle with Stop and Go, if in LESS than 3 seconds the car in front moves ... your car moves on its own ... DONE.

My confusion is where you say after 3 seconds "your vehicle waits for other vehicle to move before resume driving" Well that's ALWAYS what the car will do. But is what you're saying really that in Australia THERE IS NO 3 SECOND DIFFERENCE which would mean NO RESUME BUTTON?

In other words: while in the US in a vehicle with Stop and Go, after 3 seconds you tap the resume button and the car moves, but in Australia REGARDLESS OF PAUSE TIME the car will JUST MOVE ON ITS OWN whenever the vehicle in front moves as long as Cruise with Stop and go is on and in control?

This means basically THREE levels of Advanced Cruise. The lowest will stop the car but you must put foot to gas pedal to move, the highest US version which means after 3 seconds you can RESUME by tapping the RESUME button, and THIRD the AUSTRALIAN version which requires NO input from the driver but regardless of length of car in front stoppage will automatically on its own move the car when the car in front moves as long as the Advanced Cruise is engaged.

Is this correct?

Okay Xeler8ing! Thank you so much but I'm afraid what you're saying is a little confusing to me.

Aside from your valuable insight into whether the --US 2017 Mazda 6 -- has Stop and Go - which it looks like it may not - how the AUSTRALIAN version works is a little confusing.

As I see it, on ANY vehicle with Stop and Go, if in LESS than 3 seconds the car in front moves ... your car moves on its own ... DONE.

Correct

My confusion is where you say after 3 seconds "your vehicle waits for other vehicle to move before resume driving" Well that's ALWAYS what the car will do. But is what you're saying really that in Australia THERE IS NO 3 SECOND DIFFERENCE which would mean NO RESUME BUTTON?

In other words: while in the US in a vehicle with Stop and Go, after 3 seconds you tap the resume button and the car moves, but in Australia REGARDLESS OF PAUSE TIME the car will JUST MOVE ON ITS OWN whenever the vehicle in front moves as long as Cruise with Stop and go is on and in control?

Correct. In Australia, MRCC with stop go is active, it comes to a complete stop. Then if the vehicle in front starts moving after 30 seconds, the car should automatically take off again at a gentle pace.

This means basically THREE levels of Advanced Cruise. The lowest will stop the car but you must put foot to gas pedal to move, the highest US version which means after 3 seconds you can RESUME by tapping the RESUME button, and THIRD the AUSTRALIAN version which requires NO input from the driver but regardless of length of car in front stoppage will automatically on its own move the car when the car in front moves as long as the Advanced Cruise is engaged.

Is this correct?

Actually 2 types -

1. Gas pedal or resume button can be classified as being one in the same as driver input is required.
  2. Almost completely autonomous take off without driver input

Xeler8ing: As usual, good detailed and valuable input. Thank you! I think you've fully explained this now and, unfortunately, the Australian version is my dream but not yet to be.

Just so you know, for ME the difference between gas pedal or resume button input is literally the ENTIRE thing I care about. Since your magic version isn't available here in the U.S., what matters to me is not being stuck in an hour-long stop and go traffic jam and having to move my foot brake =>pedal=>brake=>pedal over and over and over which, because I'm disabled, is painful and exhausting. Being able to instead only use my finger to pull the resume switch and let the car stop on its own ... then pull the resume switch and it stops and pull the resume switch ... is a HUGE difference to me and worth every penny.

My desire was/is to make sure the 2017 Mazda 6 has THIS "finger-driven" version of stop and go cruise and according to at least one helpful forum member it does NOT. This is contrary to what a salesman/driver at my local Mazda dealer SAYS his does. So I need him to put his car where his mouth is and PROVE it ... or I need to either wait for the 2018 or rebuy my 2015 Hyundai Genesis when it goes off lease.

Thanks for the SO helpful input! Alley

Xeler8ing: As usual, good detailed and valuable input. Thank you! I think you've fully explained this now and, unfortunately, the Australian version is my dream but not yet to be.

Just so you know, for ME the difference between gas pedal or resume button input is literally the ENTIRE thing I care about. Since your magic version isn't available here in the U.S., what matters to me is not being stuck in an hour-long stop and go traffic jam and having to move my foot brake =>pedal=>brake=>pedal over and over and over which, because I'm disabled, is painful and exhausting. Being able to instead only use my finger to pull the resume switch and let the car stop on its own ... then pull the resume switch and it stops and pull the resume switch ... is a HUGE difference to me and worth every penny.

My desire was/is to make sure the 2017 Mazda 6 has THIS "finger-driven" version of stop and go cruise and according to at least one helpful forum member it does NOT. This is contrary to what a salesman/driver at my local Mazda dealer SAYS his does. So I need him to put his car where his mouth is and PROVE it ... or I need to either wait for the 2018 or rebuy my 2015 Hyundai Genesis when it goes off lease.

Thanks for the SO helpful input! Alley

Not a problem :D

I would suggest you/family member/friend taking a 2017 CX-5 GT with premium package for an extended test drive in traffic and see if you can actually get away by pressing the resume button. Then when MRCC with stop/go is released on the next model Mazda 6, you know exactly how it works :)

Back