Mazda radar cruise control with stop and go

I have an older Valentine One. It is currently useless because of the radar used by new vehicles and their blind spot monitoring systems (and probably any forward facing radar like our CX-5's MRCC). It is constantly going off. Valentine (and I would imagine the other radar detector manufacturers) have newer units that ignore this so-called "junk-K band" RF.

Thought I'd love this function but now I'm on the fence. In Jersey we have tons of jughandles and the excessive braking after a car has turned is off putting. I'm guessing this can't be tweaked by Mazda...

Thought I'd love this function but now I'm on the fence. In Jersey we have tons of jughandles and the excessive braking after a car has turned is off putting. I'm guessing this can't be tweaked by Mazda...

Here's where not to use this:

Capture.jpg

The car should be smart enough to turn off cruise control if the driver gets out of the vehicle. Why doesn't it downshift on a long downhills slope?

The car should be smart enough to turn off cruise control if the driver gets out of the vehicle. Why doesn't it downshift on a long downhills slope?

It's not. Remember the driver turns it on initially

New 2017 GT owner here. I love it, with one exception. When following a slowing car that is turning off the road, the system continues to brake, and somewhat hard, even after the turning car is completely out of the way.

Yup, exactly the same here. After experiencing that a couple of times I touch the brakes to disable the MRCC when I see the car ahead of me turning.

I use the MRCC in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic almost every day during my commute home on a 2-lane congested avenue, but under certain traffic conditions I disable it. It just doesn't completely understand city traffic yet. If someone changes into your lane it does hard breaking. If the car ahead of you turns right and out of the road it breaks, and continues to break after that car is not even there. Highway use (as per the instructions) is more predictable and works better.

It actually works pretty seamlessly if you understand it's limitations. The key is it very robustly tracks the vehicle that "is" in front of you, but if the vehicle changes or goes away, in order to be robust it needs to take a while to not follow it anymore.
So, the vehicle turns and you don't, it still tries to follow it. If the vehicle changes lanes, it takes a while to detect that. But, the most difficult for it to do is detect a stopped vehicle in your path that you were not following. In that situation, I don't recommend ever relying on MRCC.
All that said, I use mine on city roads all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing - limitations. People seem to expect it to work seamlessly all the time

I have mine only for a week and loving every minute of it. It's just that its entirely new feature and takes time to be fully comfortable with it to lift your foot entirely off the brake to fully enjoy the benefits of relaxed driving.

I'm wondering and curious to know if the brake lights are on whenever you're on Stop & Go? This is important to warn the drivers behind you that you're slowing down or stopping.
Any one can confirm?
Thanks.

I used it for the first time tonight stuck in traffic for an accident. Even though I was stuck in traffic, I was giggling uncontrollably. Very nice feature!

I'm sure the brake lights activate when the brake does. If it just lets off the gas to slow down, you aren't going to get rear ended.

I've used mine for the first time the other day in traffic, it was pretty nerve wrecking but it works lol I was pretty nervous waiting for the car to come to a complete stop.

I'm sure the brake lights activate when the brake does. If it just lets off the gas to slow down, you aren't going to get rear ended.

It should come on as you when you are pretty much coming to a complete stop. It most likely won't when the car is decelerating for a brief period

Back