Mazda radar cruise control with stop and go

Ticking noise is the vehicle trying to anticipate if it should come to a full stop or not as the vehicle in front may still be moving

I've used adaptive cruise on the expressway in my new CX-5 for several weeks.

In the past few days I've twice had an issue when traffic ahead slows or stops quickly (but not locking wheels). My car approaches too quickly, brake alert sounds, and uses anti-lock braking to stop the car. This nearly caused an accident the first time because the car behind wasn't expecting me to lock wheels.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Scary.

Last edited:
I've used adaptive cruise on the highway in my new CX-5 for several weeks.

In the past few days I've twice had an issue when traffic ahead slows or stops quickly (but not locking wheels). My car approaches too quickly, brake alert sounds, and uses anti-lock braking to stop the car. This nearly caused an accident the first time because the car behind wasn't expecting me to lock wheels.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Scary.

Nope.

It this occurring on a straight road where the traffic is in line infront of you (uhm)

Not exactly what you notice but not sure I am going to use mine in heavy traffic conditions. I used it on the belt parkway in NY and found it was jamming on the brakes too hard when cars slowed in front and the person behind me did not expect me to slow as much and almost ran into me.

AFAIK it's not designed for use during heavy traffic conditions. More so on freeways/highways/motorways where the traffic is spread out and at consistent higher speeds.

Not exactly what you notice but not sure I am going to use mine in heavy traffic conditions. I used it on the belt parkway in NY and found it was jamming on the brakes too hard when cars slowed in front and the person behind me did not expect me to slow as much and almost ran into me.

Without MRCC, when I see traffic slowed up ahead I slow down well in advance. MRCC does not do this.

I'm surprised that an automated system would have the car get too close to the car ahead then hit the brakes, set off the BRAKE! alarm and anti-lock brakes.

Last edited:
With MRCC set to maximum distance the brakes will activate sooner, ie farther away (back) from the cars in front of you.

yes, that is what happened to me. Had it set to monitor traffic way ahead and it braked too hard and too early, nearly causing the car behind to hit me. So, not clear why in your case you CX5 braked too late almost causing you to hit the car in front of you. Sounds like your system did not see the traffic ahead for some reason.

In heavy Atlanta traffic I set in on one bar or I constantly have cut ins in front of me. If the road is wet, then I use two bars. In light traffic and on two lane roads I use two or three bars.

For me, 3 bars is a bit to much for my freeway/highway/motorway driving.

But as always, each to their own :)

Gave it a test run on the PA turnpike today headed into work. Distance traveled was close to 50 miles, and I was very impressed with it.

from my experience,
it's best used to follow the car in front of you where the radar is within range to recognize the car in front.
Unfortunately if there are no cars in front of you to follow, the radar range is not strong enough/ fast enough to anticipate a much slower car or a stopped car that comes into range, thus braking a lot harder to compensate.

Also helps if the driver you're following knows how to brake smoothly and doesn't tailgate ;)

I do love this feature for heavy traffic in NYC and for long distance drives.
Can't wait to see how much better it will get over time.

Without MRCC, when I see traffic slowed up ahead I slow down well in advance. MRCC does not do this.

I'm surprised that an automated system would have the car get too close to the car ahead then hit the brakes, set off the BRAKE! alarm and anti-lock brakes.

It does pick up well when a car from another lane that is infront of you merges into your lane

On the other hand, I wouldn't want the system interfering with my driving unless it sensed imminent danger. That's all it's designed for. It is NOT a substitute for the driver to be driving. If you want to slow before the system wants to do it for you, then you can. And you should.

Back