Mazda cx 5 transmission fluid level check

SydneyDingo

:
Mazda CX 5
Hello,
The transmission check on this car should be performed while the engine is off or running in park? I have located the dipstick and retaining bold, but not sure if the level is checked while running or not.

Thanks!

Sydney

Check this thread and there're plenty of valuable info.

ATF Drain/Fill

And here is a particular one:

Its a general rule. You generally check the transmission oil on a flat surface while the engine is running. For automatics at least. So after pouring the new transmission oil I drive the car through various gears and reverse. Then back to neutral to do another level check while still running.

The minimum 122F is because you want the engine at operating temps (hot) like 150-170F. Mazda wants to ensure to engine is at least warm hence 122F. I'm confident the blue coolant light could be used. Will have to test it with the OBD2 scanner to verify.

But when people go from the top and remove air filter box checking ATF level on CX-5, I'm not sure how convenient they can check the ATF level with engine running. When I check the ATF level on my '98 Honda CR-V, the owner's manual says engine should be off while checking even if the ATF level dipstick is a direct access and nothing needs to be removed.

Back