So, umm, the car hunt, I dunno

I'm here in the states and bought a Mazda second hand as a graduation present to myself....almost 10 years later, she's still kicking and besides replacing the shocks just routine maintenance. I'm coming back to Mazda for that same reliability now that I have a young family.

I should have seen the reliability response coming. I had the same reaction the first time I saw a Malibu at the top a reliability list, WAT THE...... It's more logical than it seems if you dig a bit but it's hard to believe because most of us have probably owned complete pieces of American junk, and/or, been treated like junk by a dealer and/or a service department. Hard to forgive!

The thing for me is, how much of the Mazda do I need? I love the handling, best car I ever owned to park, do a U-Turn, it's fun on curves, "when" I go find some. It's also nice not to have to worry about bottoming out. When I need to carry something, I can, but there are almost no scratches to the back plastic because I've rarely done that. The driving position is good, no headroom issues at all, something I face in anything with a moonroof. The weirdest thing is getting out of a sedan now and being so damn low to the ground.

But, every time I got back into my CX-5 after a test drive in a sedan I was floored by how harsh the car felt comparatively, and my CX5 has no rattles at all. Some of this is new car vs older car, maybe $600 on new tires, but not all of it. The 2017 really is better at all of that than it's predecessor and I think it's the best compact crossover in it's general price range for what I'd want. In fact, I almost bought one a month ago. If the dealer had, had it's internet act together, I'd likely have done it, but they didn't, I decided to drive an Accord (not enough head room) and here I am.

The thing is, I drove the CX-5 3-times, all 3 versions, and as much better as it is than mine, not once did I have that feeling of harshness change like I had with the sedans.

Then it seems you are leaning towards the CX-5.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree about road/tire noise. The older I get the more it annoys me.

The OEM tires don't help. I put on the high rated Michelin premier's by tire rack and its like night and day. Besides rattles the only thing I hear now is wind noise. These tires also have a smoother ride.

I'm here in the states and bought a Mazda second hand as a graduation present to myself....almost 10 years later, she's still kicking and besides replacing the shocks just routine maintenance. I'm coming back to Mazda for that same reliability now that I have a young family.

How many miles? That would be like 300K for me. Nice!

Well to throw something else into the mix the new VW Tiguan is coming out very soon and that has a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty I believe. Also can come with optional 3rd row emergency seats :)

Yokohamas here too. I don't know if that's still the case with 2017's, but it was for my 2014.

I thought the Yokohamas were awful. Ride quieted down when I put on some Michelins.
The 19" here are Toyo Proxies

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think you need to go back to square one and reevaluate what your vehicle needs are. Theyre two completely different vehicle types, the Malibu and CX-5. Its like comparing apples with oranges. One is a gasoline powered hatchback SUV and the other is a hybrid powered trunked sedan. I take it that you like both the space efficiency of a hatchback and the lower center of mass and better gas mileage of a hybrid sedan. Consider a station wagon or a large hatchback sedan. That is if you can find one. Both of these vehicles have become a rarity.

Station wagons: nobody buys them any more if any manufacturers still make them for the U.S. market.

Large hatchback sedans: Saab 900 & 9000 & 9-3, 9-5, Chrysler PT Cruiser, and Chevrolet HHR are all long gone. Most hatchbacks are smaller subcompacts like the Mazda 3, Kia Soul, and Subaru Impreza.

I read somewhere that the Buick Regal will be offered in both station wagon form and hatchback form. I dont know if theyll be hybrid but you cant have everything when it comes to vehicle selection.

I think you need to go back to square one and reevaluate what your vehicle needs are. Theyre two completely different vehicle types, the Malibu and CX-5. Its like comparing apples with oranges.

I've done that, several times, actually, and I know it's a weird pairing. :D

The Malibu comes in a non hybrid, too, with a 2 litre turbo engine that puts out around 250hp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've done that, several times, actually, and I know it's a weird pairing. :D

The more you over think this the more doubts you will have about each and every vehicle.

I would respectfully suggest you take the 2 for one more final test drive each, sit down and look at the pros and cons for each vehicle and then decide.

I hear ya!

The problem is actually two use cases. One is my commute, the other is around town and weekend use. Why the 2017 CX-5 was interesting is that it shows promise of merging the two. Then I drove a sedan and realized how much better that experience was and here we are.

I got time, no rush.

I hear ya!

The problem is actually two use cases. One is my commute, the other is around town and weekend use. Why the 2017 CX-5 was interesting is that it shows promise of merging the two. Then I drove a sedan and realized how much better that experience was and here we are.

I got time, no rush.
Just buy both and be done with it [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Can't provide any information about their time under Ford here but will say that in the late 1990's the did have some decent looking and performing vehicles (round shape Mazda 626, RX-7)

It is good that their reputation is going up there

I have uno blocked so I generally don't see his stuff, but since you quoted him I saw this. Mazda does not have a reputation like Fiat in the USA. Again, BS from the same crowd. You will have people complain that they are loud and that they were owned by ford but that is about it. Nothing like Fiat or heck, like ford.

Back