So, umm, the car hunt, I dunno

:
Fmr CX5 Touring
I came back here after reading about the new quietness of the 2017. My CX-5 has pretty much worn me down during my commute.

I've dug, hunted, pecked, read articles, watched videos. I've built spreadsheets, scored them, drove them and it's come down to two completely different vehicles: Mazda CX-5 GT or the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It's almost like I don't have a normal use-case other than a better and quieter ride.

When I scored the vehicles, these two were always very close in the scoring and a single change could trade positions. The only real negative to the CX-5 is it's projected reliability is bad, so was the 2016, and the minor negative of distance on a tank of gas. The Malibu really only fails on storage with a minor hit for no adaptive cruise control (something I would use but could easily survive without).

I never thought I'd consider an American car but the current Malibu, from everything I've read, and the drive, is a really solid car. The new CX-5 is a really solid car too which I think would solve most of my noise problems as well.

As an aside, the CR-V was written off awhile back due, mostly, to road noise. I don't know how those guys find them quiet but my last ride sure wasn't.

Reliability issues must have been a USA thing cause over here, AFAIK no such issues with 2016 Mazda CX-5

No matter what we say, you need to go with your head and your heart.

What is your use case for such a car? You can get the CX-5 with AWD and can do some light towing if needed. On the flip side, I guess the Malibu will be a lot better on gas and relatively more fun to drive since it is a sedan.

I came back here after reading about the new quietness of the 2017. My CX-5 has pretty much worn me down during my commute.

I've dug, hunted, pecked, read articles, watched videos. I've built spreadsheets, scored them, drove them and it's come down to two completely different vehicles: Mazda CX-5 GT or the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It's almost like I don't have a normal use-case other than a better and quieter ride.

When I scored the vehicles, these two were always very close in the scoring and a single change could trade positions. The only real negative to the CX-5 is it's projected reliability is bad, so was the 2016, and the minor negative of distance on a tank of gas. The Malibu really only fails on storage with a minor hit for no adaptive cruise control (something I would use but could easily survive without).

I never thought I'd consider an American car but the current Malibu, from everything I've read, and the drive, is a really solid car. The new CX-5 is a really solid car too which I think would solve most of my noise problems as well.

As an aside, the CR-V was written off awhile back due, mostly, to road noise. I don't know how those guys find them quiet but my last ride sure wasn't.

Source?

I would vote but i'm biased. I haven't seen the Malibu on the inside but there's no way it's nicer than the GT. **runs to youtube to go check one out**
Nope, I can't. Not sure if it's the ugly champagne colored bowtie logo on the steering wheel or the overall rental vibe I get from it. But then again just because it's not for me, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

;)

Have you thought about the 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid? It should be out soon and doesn't look to bad. It would be hands down more reliable than the Chevy.

JD Power on reliability, though I have to admit it's projected on the 2017's, which I think was 3 on the 2017 CX-5 (CR had it higher if I'm remembering correctly). Chevrolet / GM have improved, a lot. I've done a lot of digging on it and their cars seem much more solid today . I wrote off Ford in like 2 seconds. I'm not really that worried about Mazda's reliability but I needed an objective score for reliability and that's what I came up with. The Malibu scored a 5 and the CX-5 a 2 / 3 (2016). I must admit that I was surprised.

I agree on the interior, the CX-5 is better, I think the seats were more comfortable too, but, no Apple, and the Malibu isn't a turd inside.

Thanks on the towing comment. I don't tow, but, there are a couple of scenario's where I could and I hadn't considered that separately.

The new Toyota looks a lot better than the old. In fact, it's an interesting car.

Last edited:
JD Power on reliability, though I have to admit it's projected on the 2017's, which I think was 3 on the 2017 CX-5 (CR had it higher if I'm remembering correctly). Chevrolet / GM have improved, a lot. I've done a lot of digging on it and their cars seem much more solid today . I wrote off Ford in like 2 seconds. I'm not really that worried about Mazda's reliability but I needed an objective score for reliability and that's what I came up with. The Malibu scored a 5 and the CX-5 a 2 / 3 (2016). I must admit that I was surprised.

I agree on the interior, the CX-5 is better, I think the seats were more comfortable too, but, no Apple, and the Malibu isn't a turd inside.

Thanks on the towing comment. I don't tow, but, there are a couple of scenario's where I could and I hadn't considered that separately.

The new Toyota looks a lot better than the old. In fact, it's an interesting car.

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from. I'm skeptical of JD Power in general but their 3 year ratings give the CX-5 pretty decent marks: http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study/1882ENG/Compact-SUV/1131

EDIT: Ah you're looking at the junk initial quality survey, where equal attention is given to people who don't like the font on the infotainment as it does to actual problems. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-trouble-with-jd-powers-initial-quality-study-feature

A classic example of a problem with this: In a different vein, Porsche has struggled with brake-pad choice because of the IQS. The pads that deliver the best fade resistance and wet-braking performance are also those that generate more wheel-soiling, IQS-complaint–generating dust.

Too much dust

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't fear cx5 for reliability issues..unless you were pitting it against the most reliable sedan and the malibu hybrid is not though not too bad 3/5 per CR and for data like that Ill put way more stock in them than jd. Also low-ish on cr scale for malibu was front seat comfort which to me trumps road noise for importance where cx5 nails it and most things mainstream American fall short if not way short on imo...tested the new acadia which i thought was a pretty impressive drive but the seat was almost a cruel joke- just terrible.

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from. I'm skeptical of JD Power in general but their 3 year ratings give the CX-5 pretty decent marks: http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study/1882ENG/Compact-SUV/1131

EDIT: Ah you're looking at the junk initial quality survey, where equal attention is given to people who don't like the font on the infotainment as it does to actual problems. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-trouble-with-jd-powers-initial-quality-study-feature

A classic example of a problem with this: In a different vein, Porsche has struggled with brake-pad choice because of the IQS. The pads that deliver the best fade resistance and wet-braking performance are also those that generate more wheel-soiling, IQS-complaintgenerating dust.

Too much dust

I'm not. The one I used is kind of awkward to find. If I find it again I'll post it.

But, really it doesn't matter, unless there was some extreme shift, like the Malibu trailing parts behind it, or the CX-5 being bulletproof, it wouldn't be a deal changer to me.

I haven't driven the Malibu, but I have to say I like the exterior looks. The interior is okay, and I like the two-tone materials, but I'm just not a fan of Chevy's aqua lighting in the gauges. Looks cheap to me when so many premium automakers have gone to white.

Agree Dseag. Chevy has finally nailed the exterior bits. Both the Impala and Malibu look good. Buddy stopped over the other day to see if I'd notice his new car. I was immediately like "that looks good, what is that?"... A Malibu? Nice. Finally Chevy. 😊

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You know, many other carboat/bike forums are full of complaints, faults, problems, and people experiencing major issues with getting support from their (car, bike, boat, outboard) manufacturer.

What really stands out about this CX5 forum is how few such issues are raised here. Have a browse around, the majority of things raised here fall into the following categories:

Can I do ..... x
How do I ..... x
Ive got one of those big problems (but really, how do I survive without carplay???)
Ideas for enhancements
And the like....

Proportionally, there are very few major problems reported here, and even fewer where the dealer or Mazda hasnt stepped up and sorted it. I personally am one of them - had an issue with my AT and to be honest, it wasnt a failure it just wasnt performing as it should, and Mazda replaced it. Had an issue with EPB control unit - replaced that too under warranty with no problems.

Mazda is an interntaional brand. In the US its definitely a smaller brand, but other places where, dare I say, motoring consumers are a tad more discerning, it is and is becoming a major player. Especially so since the divorce from Ford.

Here in Aus, we have arguably the most diverse market choices of anywhere in the world, more manufacturers are represented in our market, with more models available than just about anywhere else.

And - CX5 has been consistently the #1 CUV/SUV in the whole marketplace and is consistently in the top 10 selling cars in the country for something like 5 years. A big feat, even though our new car market is relatively small.

Mazda is our # 3 manufacturer by sales across all models. Nipping at Toyota's heels lately.

Mazda 3 has been #1 or 2 in its segment for many years, and the Mazda brand commands significantly higher resale values than many other brands. They are sought after cars, big time.

And you dont get that kind of market penetration and support for your cars unless they are very good quality, very reliable, and are backed up by dealers and the company. Their reputation as a driver's car is well deserved too, in each category/model they are right at the top grade in that regard.

I think you have very little to be concerned about regarding the quaility of a new CX5 purchase.

Last edited:
Over here, Mazda is the most trusted car brand because generally their vehicles are reliable and good to drive

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree about road/tire noise. The older I get the more it annoys me.

Yeah, it's pretty damn bad in the CX5. Similar to my Z06. After living with my CX5 for 2 years, I may have chosen differently at this point, but I don't plan to get rid of it. I can't. It's worthless, and I owe on it, lol!

Over here, Mazda is the most trusted car brand because generally their vehicles are reliable and good to drive

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In America, Mazda has a pretty bad reputation, over-all. Similar to Fiat. This is because of their dark years being owned by Ford, but they ARE improving their rep as of late.

In America, Mazda has a pretty bad reputation, over-all. Similar to Fiat. This is because of their dark years being owned by Ford, but they ARE improving their rep as of late.

Can't provide any information about their time under Ford here but will say that in the late 1990's the did have some decent looking and performing vehicles (round shape Mazda 626, RX-7)

It is good that their reputation is going up there

One more note to the OP....

You will always come across a hard small bunch of "glass half empties" on these forums too. Some are even so negative and quick with a put down, you might even say they are "glass smashed on the floor". All largely based on opinion of course, which is fine, we all have and are entitled to opinions, just don't be fooled into thinking there are many facts in the background of their views.

The forum does however helps us deal with this by providing the "ignore" button!

Mazda is clearly trending up around the world, some like Aus have woken up to this more quickly, but even in the US the trend is one of improvement. Mazda is on a deliberate path to achieving the company's long term goal of being recognised as a premium brand along with the likes of its Japansese counterparts Lexus and Infinity, and targetting Euro brands like BMW and Audi.

Good luck with your decision.

Back