2017 lane keep assist

Dimcorner

:
2017 Cx-5 GT AWD
For the 2017 people, how well does your lane keep assist work? It seems to work a better for me on the passenger side than on the driver side. Also it's pretty weak at the whole lane keep function.

It seems to be more of a warning system than steering correction. The steering correction is very modest. But after driving the CRV for a day, it's probably in keeping with Mazda`s driving philosophy. The CRV kept tugging at the wheel through turns and if you made a quick lane change without the blinker (a necessity sometimes in aggressive traffic). For cruising on an open highway the CRV's more pronounced correction was OK but in traffic and tighter curves it was irritating. Mazda seems more inclined to leave control to the driver.

It seems to be more of a warning system than steering correction. The steering correction is very modest. But after driving the CRV for a day, it's probably in keeping with Mazda`s driving philosophy. The CRV kept tugging at the wheel through turns and if you made a quick lane change without the blinker (a necessity sometimes in aggressive traffic). For cruising on an open highway the CRV's more pronounced correction was OK but in traffic and tighter curves it was irritating. Mazda seems more inclined to leave control to the driver.

Agreed. It's intrusive enough to notice but not annoy, IMO.

Ok just checking. The CR-V I test drove did tug quite a bit more and earlier than the CX-5. The CX-5 only lightly correct when you are almost on top of the line.

My experience on the test drives was pretty much this. Mazda, you barely know it's happening, but it does adjust. Honda, it steers you through the turn, and, it made me force it into the next lane, it really wanted me to turn on the blinker.

It's there, but it's an assist. Not autonomous steering. It kicks in when it thinks it needs to and it will tug gently if you switch lanes without a signal. I've had it kick in at weird times such as lane splits or different surfaces / road markings in construction zones - it's camera based so can't really blame it. Another big one is purposefully veering to the edge of a lane / over a line to avoid an obsticle in the road. Personally I'm glad it's there but wouldn't really want it any more aggressive than it already is in my every day driving.

I believe there's a sensitivity adjustment as well in the vehicle settings. But to be honest I'm not sure if this adjusts the sensitive of the sensing / intervention or the sensitivity to cancel the LKA action with driver input on the wheel (i.e. continuing to turn into the LKA attempt at re-centering you). Would love to know exactly what that does to play with it more. I more or less "set it and forget it" when we got our cars, played with it to learn what it did / didn't do.

It's almost not noticeable on the CX-5. On my Mazda6 it really fights you to stay in the lane. It's not a big deal to me, but I think I prefer the CX-5 small nudge to the Mazda6 pull.

It's almost not noticeable on the CX-5. On my Mazda6 it really fights you to stay in the lane. It's not a big deal to me, but I think I prefer the CX-5 small nudge to the Mazda6 pull.

Thanks for the good feedback :)

More or less similar thought with me comparing my 3 to the CX-5.

What I find the most odd is the stronger nudge when the system 'loses' one or both lane borders. Anyone else note that?

I think it could use some adjustments, by default it should have stronger nudges though if it detects your hands holding the wheel at 9/3 it should be disabled completely.

If I needed to send a text message using two hands, would the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control be able to safely keep me in my lane on the highway?

If I needed to send a text message using two hands, would the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control be able to safely keep me in my lane on the highway?

No. Thankfully no. Put your phone down and drive.

getyourhandoffit_465x200.gif

Pull over to a complete stop first please.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I only use it on the freeway, otherwise it's turned off. I find it annoying other than on a long trip. the wife thinks it's fun so she uses it. LOL

Back