Intake manifold discussion?

CF_KoiFry

:
2003 Protege5
So I've been seeing some mixed information lately

I've always been under the understanding that the 626 manifold is inferior to the VICS with VTCS removed.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of mixed information.

I've been seeing the 626 Mani getting quite a lot of hype and I get it. Straight runners, clean look, easily sourced... But I remember a few years back the two manifolds being compared side by side and the 626 Mani netted a power LOSS vs just keeping a stock manifold with the vtcs removed.

I know the FSZE manifold will meet bigger gains than both the VICS/VTCS and 626, but I'm hoping someone could clear it up for me as it seems there's a back and forth among the Facebook guys.

The guys on facebook tend to be uninformed yet they spread information like they know what they are talking about. The early, pre 2000 626 manifolds have smaller runners, if you get a later mani you will lose some low end but gain a little top end in most cases. The stock mani with VTCS removed will work fine and the ZE will be about the same or slightly better than the stock intake minus VTCS. There is no large gain to be had from either of them to be honest, the 505zoom manifold and the upcoming Pope intake will be the only true manifolds that will give an increase in power. I have seen some pretty amazing gains from the 505, but they are about $1k new which can be hard to justify for a car that is worth about $3k.

Facebook is good for entertainment solely and maybe scoring a part here or there but take any technical advice with a grain of salt unless you want your car to go boom

Back