Rusted brake lines

:
Protege5, 2003
Inspected the car today when the mechanics were doing the brake work and found the brake lines in bad shape. Have a upcoming highway drive about 2hrs this Friday and wondering if this is going to be OK. As shown in the pictures, the straight part of the brake lines are all rusted and seem dangerous...

1. I am thinking of replacing just this part by cutting above the bending-up, do the double flaring and connect the new lines back. I have never done double flaring myself, so I am wondering if it is possible to do it under the car. Will the tools fit into the space? Presumably I can buy a roll of brake line and practice until I master the technique and create the straight part. But will I be able to connect them back?

2. The line holders are pretty rusted, too. Any solution if I fail to install them back? Or shall I just install some new holders next to them? Dealing with rusted nuts is frustrating...

Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

WeChat Image_20170613184732.jpgWeChat Image_20170613184738.jpgWeChat Image_20170613184742.jpgWeChat Image_20170613184746.jpg

... Presumably I can buy a roll of brake line and practice until I master the technique and create the straight part. But will I be able to connect them back?

Get this stuff dude...
It's mostly copper... Won't rust,... And is soft enough to flare real nice....

Practice on some small pieces then flare away.

Replace the entire length... "Splicing"or compression fittings aren't legal (or safe)

Last edited:
2. The line holders are pretty rusted, too. Any solution if I fail to install them back? Or shall I just install some new holders next to them?

Don't remove them... Just pull the old brake lines out of them and pop the new ones in. (cut your old lines a few inches back from the holder and pull)

If they're stuck and don't wanna come out just zip tie your new lines to the holder. (try not to have your new lines as the lowest point of the car in case you bottom out in something)

I just realized those were pictures attached at the end of your first post...

All those lines look pretty damn bad..
You've got a fuel fed line (fat one I think) fuel return line and a vapor line.

Try really hard not to disturb them or you'll end up replacing everything... Just trying to remove the bracket/holder might be the last straw for the whole batch of lines.

Those bolts may thread into weld nuts on the other side.. . the welds like to break then the bolt just spins.

Last edited:
Those fuel lines are PITA..
I don't know if you can buy those clips/connectors for the ends or if they're specially flared tubing ???

This start to look like a serious project that requires many hours of work. I am not sure I can handle it myself, giving that I only have limited tools and no garage... I guess it would cause me a fortune if bringing it to mechanics...

Back