Easily dented rear cladding

superlario

:
MAZDA 2016.5 CX 5-T
Hello --

I have taken possession of a 2016.5 CX5-T today (CPO 15,000 miles). While loading and unloading my stuff from the other car (2005 Legacy SW). I
continually kept leaning up against the cladding - you call that a bumper ? - and denting it with my knee. Yes I could reach under and sort of push it back out, but
I'm wondering has anyone come up with a way, and/or a product, to insert behind the cladding to keep this denting at bay ?

Thanks in advance -

Not sure what you mean by cladding. If you mean bumper as you mentioned in your post, it is supposed to be soft/flexible. They are made that way so that in a collision they will soften the blow and increase the amount of time that the force of the collision has to dissipate. If you strengthen this piece, you could possibly inflict more damage in a collision because now there is more force transferred to the passengers in the car.

OK, good point - let me ask it another way - is there some sort of easy way to remove the knee dents other than crawling under the car ?

OK, good point - let me ask it another way - is there some sort of easy way to remove the knee dents other than crawling under the car ?

cover up the dents with Bumptek ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

there's also a heavy duty model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

the color matches the OEM bumper so it not so obvious and covers the knee dents and also prevents new ones..... I think you will need the 3M adhesion promoter though to get it to stick to the OEM plastic....

Last edited:
Hello --

I have taken possession of a 2016.5 CX5-T today (CPO 15,000 miles). While loading and unloading my stuff from the other car (2005 Legacy SW). I
continually kept leaning up against the cladding - you call that a bumper ? - and denting it with my knee. Yes I could reach under and sort of push it back out, but
I'm wondering has anyone come up with a way, and/or a product, to insert behind the cladding to keep this denting at bay ?

Thanks in advance -

FOLLOW UP :

Just to be clear, I am referring to the thin, dark grey plastic that surrounds the lower part of the car - not the painted much heavier plastic above.

FOLLOW UP :

Just to be clear, I am referring to the thin, dark grey plastic that surrounds the lower part of the car - not the painted much heavier plastic above.

Maybe post a picture here of what you are referring to :)

He's referring to the lower bumper valence. We don't need a picture. There's nothing behind it except the structural bumper bar. Mazda apparently doesn't use a foam pad to fill the gap between the black plastic and the metal bar. I found this out when my car was rear-ended in February.

Yeah, I found this out when I put my foot on the plastic bumper to tie my shoe. Left a nice little dent in it that I can still just barely see.

Back