02 P5 Rear brake caliper issue

Hey guys, i have a 02P5 with 120K on it. I noticed the other day both my rear rotors were rusted (both sides) . Seems like my calipers gave out on me and are not making contact with rotors. Even when i put my e brake on doesnt seem to hold car on place much. I tried removing the rear passenger side but could not get the caliper to full swing all the way open/up in order to remove it. I did order rebuilt A1 cardone calipers for both sides.

Any recommendations? I didnt remove the screw on the back of the caliper that retracts the piston. Do you guys think that will help?

Retracting the caliper may help but if it's just rusty I'd say partially swing it up and stuff a pry bar or even a beefy flat heat in there and pry

I don't really know what your circumstances are either maybe take some pictures and upload them.

Sounds like pads have worn a lip around the outside of the rotor and the pads are catching on lip and not coming off. If that is case then yes, retract the pad screw and it should let loose of it.......

Have you tried tightening the pad retractor screws to see if you can get the pads to make contact with the rotors?

If your pistons and/or guide pins are totally frozen it won't help, but if they still move the screw can be used to close the pad-rotor gap for wear.
They are supposed to adjust automatically, but when they get sticky/rusted that goes out the window. Your statement about the parking/e-brake
not working correctly is a key clue.

Same thing when you install new ones - with the e-brake off, rotate your calipers so that the bleed screws are the highest point in the system and
bleed the air out. Rotate them back into their normal position and bolt them down, then tighten the retractor screws until the pads just start to grab
the rotors and back off about a half-turn.

After that your e-brake should work correctly and you should have a nice hard brake pedal with no mush.

Take out the two bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the hub and toss the assembly in the scrap pile.

If the sliders are frozen that bad, you'll be time and money ahead to get new brackets and hardware too.

I just did the rear calipers on my 03 p5 so the ebrake would function as well. Not sure how your calipers are but both back were seized. Advanced auto sells the whole assembly for 150 per caliper 70 dollars back if you bring the old core.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Back