2017 CX-5 Phone Mount Options

You should get a piece of flat aluminum bar from Home Depot, and make an extension, with two holes.

You should get a piece of flat aluminum bar from Home Depot, and make an extension, with two holes.

Yes, I was thinking of that, too. But, I am too lazy =;P and it seems that current setup is not that bad. Only worry with the extension bar is to add any bouncing while moving. Short extension may not be issue so I may try it when I have time later.

Hi, first post here 🙋‍♂️

Modified an UltiMAG FLEXMAG, with a small stainless steel plate ;-)

No drilling no glueing, easy to snap off.

20200224_161933.jpg

20200224_162612.jpg
20200224_170412.jpg

20200224_181243.jpg
20200224_181254.jpg

Hi, first post here 🙋‍♂️

Modified an UltiMAG FLEXMAG, with a small stainless steel plate ;-)

No drilling no glueing, easy to snap off.

View attachment 223118
View attachment 223119View attachment 223120
View attachment 223121View attachment 223122
Welcome to the forum, Stumbi!

If you want to, you can update your Profile to enter your location and/or the vehicle you own. It will display under your avatar (as mine does) so folks won't have to ask.

That being said, I like your solution. I keep going back & forth on ways to mount my phone or just letting it lay in that console pocket where the cigarette lighter is. I only use the phone for calls, and it's Bluetoothed to the system for that, so I never look at the phone's screen. It always seems to needlessly be in the way anywhere else.

I made a couple of mounts for my 7" tablet so I could display readouts from the OBD2 reader as I drive. I used these:

nylon-cable-clamps.jpg

There's space all around the perimeter of the infotainment screen where these can wedge between it and the dashboard...front, side and back. So you can put whatever you want to hold down into the loop, then squeeze it closed/wedge it in, and it will be held in place without making any modifications. They pull right out without leaving a mark. There's just the right amount of space for the tabs to fit.

I put a screen saver on the infotainment screen so I can apply a small piece of Velcro to it (without harming the screen) and the mating piece to the back of one of these loops for holding down semi-heavy things that might tend to pull these out while driving, since they only shove down but so far (I measured the available depth, and believe it's about 1/4"-3/8" if I recall correctly.).

Since it seems you like these kind of projects, I thought I'd share this with you. I think you might make use of it!

Last edited:
Please everyone, take a look at this device that simply and elegantly clips around the Emergency Flasher button. Fits beautifully and has a nice softtex finish. It comes with a gravity-clamp for a phone, but I just tossed that and am using a wireless charger/holder instead. The mount itself has a slot-in ball mount that will fit garmin mounts and many others.

I saw this device on another thread somewhere here (I thought it was this one, but apparently not) and bought it myself and am VERY happy with it. Believe me, I'm a big DIY'er, but this works so well and is cheap AND removable there's no reason to go the harder path.

Available at multiple places on AliExpress, such as: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000233550142.html. UPDATE: Ouch, price went up nearly $10 from when I got it a few weeks ago. So shop around.
OK, looked some more, here's a cheaper one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000668395129.html

H67f3c3b2adbe471fa6589ed60b64bb61t.jpg

Comes with or without the slots for the vent on/off wheels, depending on your car.

H54ea4387ca6040099b985436f4039591L.jpg

If you want to, you can update your Profile to enter your location and/or the vehicle you own. It will display under your avatar (as mine does) so folks won't have to ask.

That being said, I like your solution. I keep going back & forth on ways to mount my phone or just letting it lay in that console pocket where the cigarette lighter is. I only use the phone for calls, and it's Bluetoothed to the system for that, so I never look at the phone's screen. It always seems to needlessly be in the way anywhere else.

I made a couple of mounts for my 7" tablet so I could display readouts from the OBD2 reader as I drive. I used these:

nylon-cable-clamps.jpg

There's space all around the perimeter of the infotainment screen where these can wedge between it and the dashboard...front, side and back. So you can put whatever you want to hold down into the loop, then squeeze it closed/wedge it in, and it will be held in place without making any modifications. They pull right out without leaving a mark. There's just the right amount of space for the tabs to fit.

I put a screen saver on the infotainment screen so I can apply a small piece of Velcro to it (without harming the screen) and the mating piece to the back of one of these loops for holding down semi-heavy things that might tend to pull these out while driving, since they only shove down but so far (I measured the available depth, and believe it's about 1/4"-3/8" if I recall correctly.).

Since it seems you like these kind of projects, I thought I'd share this with you. I think you might make use of it!

nylon-cable-clamps.jpg

Thanks, I use my phone for music so it's nice to have it placed for useI. Just made it so it may need to be slightly modified. I will test it in the coming days. I've fixed my profiler as you suggested.

This elegant, little, magnetic phone mount works for me. I bought the first one at Walmart one year ago for $4.88 but they no longer have them. So I found the identical item online (albeit with a logo) for $5.00 shipped from TechOrbits. Here is the super long URL link:

My wife and I can both have phones on the dash on long trips. The mounts have nice, tight swivel adjustments and clip securely into the vent. Air can still get by although with some restriction.

20200305_102441.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

Techorbits mount.jpg

20200305_103143.jpg

Last edited:
This elegant, little, magnetic phone mount works for me. I bought the first one at Walmart one year ago for $4.88 but they no longer have them. So I found the identical item online (albeit with a logo) for $5.00 shipped from TechOrbits. Here is the super long URL link:

My wife and I can both have phones on the dash on long trips. The mounts have nice, tight swivel adjustments and clip securely into the vent. Air can still get by although with some restriction.

View attachment 223359

View attachment 223360

View attachment 223358
I have something similar, but the phone either falls off or swivels down so I cannot see it.

Well these have really strong magnets and the swivel ball stays where you position it.
Yeh, mine's a cheap one. It came with the case I bought (the case has the metallic disc on the back.)

I just keep my phone in the cubby by the cigarette lighter, since everything I do with it can be done via the infotainment system.

I didn't like any of the mounts on the market. So, I decided to 3D print one. It's a simple over the vent style mount. I added holes to the print, so I can attached the AMPs bracket that on my previous proclip. I also, printed a dock for my phone while I was at it lol. The phone dock has the USB C cable built in. So, the phone can be charging.
IMG_20200518_172322.jpg
IMG_20200516_135713.jpg
IMG_20200516_144236.jpg
IMG_20200518_140403.jpg

Last edited:
...So, I decided to 3D print one. It's a simple over the vent style mount. I added holes to the print, so I can attached the AMPs bracket that on my previous proclip. I also, printed a dock for my phone while I was at it lol. .....

did you happen to place your design on Thingverse or similar site for other's to use?

I didn't like any of the mounts on the market. So, I decided to 3D print one. It's a simple over the vent style mount. I added holes to the print, so I can attached the AMPs bracket that on my previous proclip. I also, printed a dock for my phone while I was at it lol. The phone dock has the USB C cable built in. So, the phone can be charging.
View attachment 224761View attachment 224756View attachment 224757View attachment 224758
Wow! This is the perfect mounting base. I don’t have a 3D printer, but would you be willing to sell me one of these brackets?

I’d like to use the following cradle with a bracket like yours:

Step 1 @michd43 needs to post the file so others can use it as requested and indicated would be uploaded in this post:

Step 2 print

...I don’t have a 3D printer ...

Check your local library or local university .. plenty have a 3D printer for nominal cost.
example:

I suggest this Google search: "<CITY> <STATE ABBREVIATION> 3D printer"
example: Phoenix AZ 3D Printer

Also you could search "<CITY> <STATE ABBREVIATION> maker"
a "maker" is a hobbiest that makes stuff and 3D printing is VERY popular as a medium for creation.

example:

or one of the MANY online services who specialize in just this type of request.

for this size of part your cost should be minimal.

Wow! This is the perfect mounting base. I don’t have a 3D printer, but would you be willing to sell me one of these brackets?

I’d like to use the following cradle with a bracket like yours:

I was going to update my mount by adding more holes on it to accept more mounting solutions. I think your cradle should work. The AMPs bracket w/the 17mm ball I used to attach my phone with was off a proclip on my last car. However, if you can measure the distance between the holes to double check, that be great. Oh, does your mount rotate 180 degrees?

Last edited:
Step 2 print

Check your local library or local university .. plenty have a 3D printer for nominal cost.

or one of the MANY online services who specialize in just this type of request.

for this size of part your cost should be minimal.

You also need to make sure that you need to print this part in ABS or in PETG filament. Regular PLA filament can't resistance the heat in are cars and will warp.

Last edited:
Back