2017 CX-5 Phone Mount Options

Kuda will have their phone mount for the 2017 cx-5 very soon. It's not listed on their site yet but was told it'll be soon once the first batch arrives from Germany. Not the greatest picture but that's what was provided to me.

37596571792_f346c2bc9b_o.png

The 2017 is on their site now. This is the best looking option that I've seen, I think.

Update: Using https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) now and working really well.

20180127_162849.jpg

5719334WnBoL._SL1500_large.jpg

Modified the mount by cutting off the 'top' portion as defined by the upper groove in the product image, which allows it fit really well above the hazard-lights switch. It's actually sort of cantilevered in there so very secure. Didn't want to put anything adhesive on the padded dash material, but figured it was OK on the hard plastic where it is now.

Last edited:
Modified the mount by cutting off the 'top' portion as defined by the upper groove in the product image, which allows it fit really well above the hazard-lights switch. It's actually sort of cantilevered in there so very secure. Didn't want to put anything adhesive on the padded dash material, but figured it was OK on the hard plastic where it is now.

Looks perfect, really secure. Thanks for posting.

Update: Using https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) now and working really well.

20180127_162849.jpg

^^ This! Exact same setup I have, has been going on for ~1 month now (my CX-5 is 5 weeks old).

Magnetic holder base is made of plastic and was wider & deeper than hazard button housing, hence trimmed sides & front so doesn't extend beyond housing. Cut finish shows a bit hence tinkering with the idea of replacing with another base, however the smallest metal one I've found (LILER Mini Universal in AMZN) is 1"diameter, while housing seems to be ~0.75" wide
  • Magnetic base, passenger view CX-5 magnetic base passenger lores.jpg
  • Magnetic base close-up, passenger view CX-5 magnetic base close-up passenger lores.jpg
  • Smartphone vertical w power cable, driver view CX-5 iPhone vertical driver lores.jpg
  • Smartphone horizontal, driver view CX-5 both landscape driver lores.jpg
  • Smartphone vertical & cluster, driver viewCX-5 CX-5 both landscape cluster view driver lores.jpg

Last edited:
So I read the whole thread, what am I missing here? In my mind, I'm wondering why the phone needs to be mounted anywhere on the dash. You have GPS in the screen on the dash, you synced up the phone with the same screen on the dash. And you are driving. A great place for the phone is in the glove box.

So I read the whole thread, what am I missing here? In my mind, I'm wondering why the phone needs to be mounted anywhere on the dash. You have GPS in the screen on the dash, you synced up the phone with the same screen on the dash. And you are driving. A great place for the phone is in the glove box.

Essentially, there are significantly better navigation solutions available on phones (in the absence of Android Auto or Apple Car Play). For me, that's the big push to find a nice phone mounting solution.

I like Google maps and integrated traffic better when I have to get somewhere on time. My phone also has a dock that charges it - i don't have to mess with a plug. So therefore i like to mount phone. I made myself a mount by thermoforming some black pvc sheet:

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_20180111_111618571.jpg
IMG_20180111_111358484_HDR.jpg

No tape or adhesive required.

Last edited:
I have mine mounted on a cheap vent mount. If you push the mount into the bottom of the vent, it stays in place quite well. Turned horizontally, it covers the vent. I have turned that one vent off so as not to heat / cool the phone uselessly. The vent mount is one of those that has the spring mechanism to clip the phone securely.

As to why I want it mounted, I use Android Auto on the phone. I can quickly reply using my voice to incoming WhatsApp messages, FaceBook messages and SMS without too much distraction. Also, i can ask Google to "navigate to X" very easily. As others have said, the Google maps are far superior to the builtin Nav. As well, Google Maps tells me the time it will take to get to my destination, and will suggest alternative routes based on real-time information. Tap on a message to have it read and it will ask if you want to reply. Tap on the microphone icon to ask Android Auto to do anything it can do. Simple.

I like using it this way as the Infotainment screen will still show me the songs I'm streaming from Google Play Music. It's unobtrusive, no permanent mount markings and the vent mount can be easily taken out to pop in the armrest storage if needed. Overall, I'm really pleased with this solution.

IskiE

I like Google maps and integrated traffic better when I have to get somewhere on time. My phone also has a dock that charges it - i don't have to mess with a plug. So therefore i like to mount phone. I made myself a mount by thermoforming some black pvc sheet:

View attachment 218386
View attachment 218387

That's pretty slick!
What kind of rig do you have to do the thermoforming?

That's pretty slick!
What kind of rig do you have to do the thermoforming?

Heat gun, clamps, blocks of wood :)

Made a few cardboard prototypes, then just cut my plastic to size, made some marks for where the bends should go, clamped the plastic between a block of wood and the work bench, heated until soft, then bent 90 degrees and held until cool. Repeat for additional bends. Used the ball from another mount, screwed and glued to the new bracket and done.

Bracket is a friction fit between the screen and vent top. I tried some black acrylic but it was to brittle. The black pvc sheet was $10 on amazon, and isn't as brittle. I think i got 3mm if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Heat gun, clamps, blocks of wood :)

Made a few cardboard prototypes, then just cut my plastic to size, made some marks for where the bends should go, clamped the plastic between a block of wood and the work bench, heated until soft, then bent 90 degrees and held until cool. Repeat for additional bends. Used the ball from another mount, screwed and clewed to the new bracket and done.

Bracket is a friction fit between the screen and vent top. I tried some black acrylic but it was to brittle. The black pvc sheet was $10 on amazon, and isn't as brittle. I think i got 3mm if i remember correctly.

Nice. I'm impressed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 218386
View attachment 218387

Great homemade solution.
ProClip now has their similar bracket available for U.S. market CX-5s that don't have a CD player.
Mine has an adjustable phone holder attached.

(And yes, I know that I need to vacuum the interior ... )

40011768731_070a44f134_k.jpg

Do you not use Drive mode on your Motorola Alphadog?

Do you mean android auto on the phone? Sometimes, but not always. Depends if i need to charge and hat i am listening too. I still use fm radio, and i dont just dock my phone automatically if no reason to do so.

No, there's an app which I guess is sort of hidden which is amazing for handling inbound texts. Don't want to bore everyone. I'll pm you.

I'm going to third this as the best option out there. It fits nicely on top of the hazard switch and leaves the vents and the switch accessible. It does not obscure the infotainment screen. You can rotate and lock it down or move the metal pad on the back of your phone to suit your arrangement. Comes with extra adhesive pads in case you muck it up.

For $9 it's hard to beat!

Now I just need a better solution for getting USB to the device.

20180127_162849.jpg

For me - the best place has ALWAYS been the driver side side vent, besides the door. It's anyways always switched off (no air) and I put my phone there using a magetic clip style. Slide it right off when parked and leaving the car. Easy to grab and go, in case forgotten. The best part is the charging cable can be tucked between the dash and the steering wheel column, running into the carpet, side by the center console, going up from under the driver seat into the center console, and connected there. So no wires visible, literally except a small dangling portion which connects to the phone when mounted on the magnetic holder.

I would do side as well, but there are many times when my passenger needs to use or see the phone too so then I have to have it in the middle.

Back