2017 CX-5 Phone Mount Options

clads01

:
2017 CX-5 GT FWD Machine Gray
Still trying to figure out an optimal phone mount solution for the 2017. ProClip has not developed anything yet for the 2017. For now, I'm using an iOttie mount, attached to the left-hand side sloping part of the storage tray:

g9T0cFr.jpg

But this puts the phone a little lower than I would like (the height is not represented well in the picture) and also blocks the HVAC controls. Don't want to attach the suction-cup to the dash surface because of the damage it could cause, and the windshield was too far away -- at least for the mounts I currently own. Tried one of the vent mounts, which worked great except the little ledge under the vents blocked the bottom of the phone, preventing connection of audio-out and charging cables.

What are others using?

Last edited:
The only thing I could figure that didn't block any controls or get in the way was a vent mount. While the least favorable to me, I had an iOttie magnetic vent mount in my Mazda 3 and it worked well enough in the CX-5 so we ordered a second one. Now have one in each car.

Blends in to an acceptable level when it's not in use and actually works quite well when in use. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of it in use in the CX-5, but I have this one of it in my 3. In the CX-5 we use it on the center edge of the passenger side vent.

iottie1_zpsw9pyfj7e.jpg

iottie%202_zpskbfx8gwc.jpg

The only thing I could figure that didn't block any controls or get in the way was a vent mount. While the least favorable to me, I had an iOttie magnetic vent mount in my Mazda 3 and it worked well enough in the CX-5 so we ordered a second one. Now have one in each car.

Blends in to an acceptable level when it's not in use and actually works quite well when in use. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of it in use in the CX-5, but I have this one of it in my 3. In the CX-5 we use it on the center edge of the passenger side vent.

Hmmm ... I think I'll need to investigate further the vent mount option. The one we currently have doesn't stick out very far so the ledge under the vent interfered with the cables. It is this one:

51Vq5q6a8uL._SL1000_.jpg

But looks like one that extends out further would do the trick.

@blackcx5: Definitely not putting the suction cup on the dash. Cup holder option probably won't suit me since the cup holder is so far from where I want the phone.

I think the ideal location (for me) would be in front of the hazard lights switch, like is shown and discussed in this thread for the 2016:

attachment.php

We'll have to see what ProClip comes up with for the 2017 when they eventually do. I sent them an e-mail a couple of weeks back and received this in reply:

"At this time we do not have a ProClip vehicle mount for the new style Mazda CX-5. The good news is we do anticipate having mounts for this vehicle. However, due to the availability of the vehicles in the local showrooms, we anticipate the mounts to be available in the next couple months. Once we have the mounts available, you will receive a separate email notification letting you know the mounts have become available."

Last edited:
Is there enough space behind the screen that you could slide a metal piece in there so that it extends to the left of the screen where a mount clip could be attached? It might need to have a couple bends in it to bring it further from the dash, but it would place the phone in vertical orientation at the same height as the screen.

Hmmm ... I think I'll need to investigate further the vent mount option. The one we currently have doesn't stick out very far so the ledge under the vent interfered with the cables. It is this one:

51Vq5q6a8uL._SL1000_.jpg

But looks like one that extends out further would do the trick.

@blackcx5: Definitely not putting the suction cup on the dash. Cup holder option probably won't suit me since the cup holder is so far from where I want the phone.

Ya, due to the adjustable nature of the iOttie it sticks out a bit which helps it in our case. I can tell by that photo that vent clip won't let the phone clear the dash below the vent.

I specifically tested my existing mount from my Mazda3 in a 17 before ordering as overall fit and usability was also my concern. I use a blackberry Priv with a case on it (I.e. the rhino of all phones) and it sticks out just enough that the phone hanging down rests gently on the dash below. FWIW the iOttie has a very strong magnet compared to others that I've tried, and I've tried a few.

The vent grip is also non-marring and very stiff. Basically I haven't had it move in either car once it was set in position. I'll try and get a photo of it in use with my phone mounted for you so you can get a better idea.

We only use it on the passenger side vent to keep the hazard button easily accessible.

Last edited:
This is the one I got. The hook and spring holds the mount to the vent pretty well and the feet rest up against the dash. I'll see about posting a pic with the phone in place to give you a better idea.chrome_2017-06-13_16-38-48.png

I think I'm just going to live with my current method until I can see what ProClip develops as their solution.

But, in looking at way too many phone mounts on amazon, it occurred to me that the CD player option -- if it were offered in the U.S. -- would have been really handy for a mount!:

all-newcx-5italy2017interior_01.jpg

plus

81F9pnh5UvL._SX425_.jpg

How about that as a reason to want a CD player?!

Last edited:
My vote is the Kenu Airframe Plus, which I attach to the vents. I use it on a 2014 CX5, and a 2016 6, but have used it on all manner of rental cars and SUVs when I travel. I use it with an iPhone 6+ in a Speck Grip Case. Have also used it with the wife's iPhone 7 (not plus). The Airframe Plus is the most flexible. I have bought it on both Amazon and eBay. Usually much cheaper on eBay, but not always available at cheaper price.

On some cars, such as the Chevy Impala, the placement is not ideal because of the dash slant, but it still works.

https://www.kenu.com/products/airframe-plus

I decided to try this from Square Jellyfish - http://www.squarejellyfish.com/jelly-grip-car-vent-mount.html

I originally went with the Kenu Airframe+ but the recessed vents on the CX-5 made it difficult to attach the phone without removing the Airframe from the vent first, and even then it didn't feel very secure to me. The only complaint I have about the Square Jellyfish is it's difficult to insert and remove the phone without using both hands. A plus is you can still adjust the vents left & right.

The phone is an iPhone 6s Plus with a Spigen Tough Armor case.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 14,277
  • IMG_5637.jpg
    IMG_5637.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 16,102
  • IMG_5635.jpg
    IMG_5635.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 16,109
I use the "AUKEY Car Mount Air Vent Magnetic Phone Holder." $9 on Amazon.
Small footprint, and blends into everything whether in use or not. The vent location helps cool the phone when AC these days but I will have to figure out another mount method in the winter. I don't want hot air blowing on the back of the phone.

IMO vent-mounts are a fail due to our climate. If that works for you then there are some good options.

I got a ROKFORM mount for my bike and they offer a windshield cup mount that could go to the left of the dash, which is a popular location since it is less view-restrictive than in the center.

But I get it, they're all a compromise in some way.

Rokform: www.rokform.com

They do have the magnetic puck ones too, this is the suction mount. They are very secure.
rf-suction-mount-1_1.jpg

I am thinking of creating a Proclip compatible mount for the 2017 CX-5 out of ABS on my 3D printer. Where do the airbags release from? I want to avoid having my phone exploded into my face if they go off. Here are the locations I was thinking of placing the mount (I will try to design the mount to hook into existing seams... i don't want to use adhesive):

http://imgur.com/a/M8ZGd

I am thinking of creating a Proclip compatible mount for the 2017 CX-5 out of ABS on my 3D printer. Where do the airbags release from? I want to avoid having my phone exploded into my face if they go off. Here are the locations I was thinking of placing the mount (I will try to design the mount to hook into existing seams... i don't want to use adhesive):

l00O59X.jpg

I think you should be OK in all of those locations. There's a diagram of the airbag locations in the manual. Driver's side is in the steering wheel; passenger side in passenger-side dash. Check out this video (at about the 1:00 and 1:10 marks) to see exactly where the airbags deploy from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ2CuIdpIdw

Keep us posted on your design!

I ended up purchasing https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) for now:

BhEwSfE.jpg

Works pretty well except the whole thing swivels around the vent-mount axis, so not as fixed in place as I would like. Also, the magnetic mount style is convenient, but don't love the extra weight and slight bulge of the metal plate sandwiched between my phone and case.

Last edited:
In my 2016.5, I tried to mount my iPhone in the upper left quadrangle you have. It was the perfect place for it. Didn't block any windshield vision. Didn't block any controls or indicators. Took only a minor glance from the level to read. Was easy to operate the touch screen while still looking forward.

I used a Schoche adhesive magnetic mount. It was awesome, until it got warm and fell off. No matter what type of wonderful claims the adhesives I've tried make, they all lose their adhesion when it gets hot. The glue ends up coming right off the dashboard with a simple rub of my fingers.

I'm anxious to see what solution you come up with. I'm currently using a vent mount and it's no where near as convenient.

Last edited:
Back