2017 owners: odd noise?

CLN

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium
I posted a several weeks ago on the engine/transmission section, but want to post a follow-up here given forum members are starting to accumulate 2017s.

Bought a 2017 GT AWD on April 29. Since we've gotten it, I've noticed a faint high-frequency whine/whistle/ring. It is most evident from about 40-55 MPH. It will go away once braking and the car hits 25 MPH. I cannot hear it with windows down. Stereo off, HVAC on low or off.

I'm unsure if it's the same noise, but pulled the car next to a wall, with windows down and rev'd in neutral. I heard something high pitch, but that wouldn't make sense if the sound I hear starts at about 35 MPH.

Took it to the dealer and they couldn't hear anything. I feel I'm at a loss until a TSB would come out. It's faint so if you're not aware of it, you may not notice it, but once you hear it, your ears are tuned.

Anyways, just curious if others have noticed it. Maybe it's normal?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Funny I heard a fairly pronounced whistle from the front end of my 2016 loaner at 45ish+ which i was happy to rid myself of in getting my old 14 back...I was thinking well that's another upside of not taking the deal on a leftover..oops. To me sounded like wind meeting grille/fascia possibly mirrors in a not so happy way.

I've never had the whistle the OP or Monterra describes on my '16. Is there any chance it's a roof rail cross bar? Years ago my dad had a small station wagon with a roof rack and a speed dependent noise that you would swear was coming from the dash. Turned out it was a cross bar somehow transferring a vibration down into the cabin. Just a thought.

I'd hesitate to associate what I'm hearing with wind, but I could be wrong. It almost sounds electronic in nature.

The noise reminds me of a large plane taxiing, right before takeoff.

No roof rack or rails on loaner, maybe the speed dependency just had me thinking wind..very possible it wasn't but it did seem to dissipate at highway speeds..Anyway I didn't spend enough time with it to fully vet the situation but it sure was annoying! I'd check if there's a bulletin on it and explain/ask the dealer about it. Its not intermittent, right? Mine seemed pretty consistent and basically inline with what you're describing.

Correct, it happens all the time. No need to warm up the car, etc. and has occurred in 40*F to 100*F weather.

OP, I know what you're talking about - I'm hearing the same faint whine in the 2017 I bought 1 week ago. No idea if it's a problem or a normal sound.

OP, I know what you're talking about - I'm hearing the same faint whine in the 2017 I bought 1 week ago. No idea if it's a problem or a normal sound.
That makes two of us! Well, I feel more comfortable knowing I'm not the lone ranger, now. Easier to find an answer with multiple reports.

Same here. I turned off the radio and turned the fan all the way down on the way home tonight to see if I could hear any whining noise. Nothing except faint tire noise. I am impressed by how quiet the cabin is on this car!

Same here. I turned off the radio and turned the fan all the way down on the way home tonight to see if I could hear any whining noise. Nothing except faint tire noise. I am impressed by how quiet the cabin is on this car!

It's downright amazing how quiet it is. All of Mazda's sound-deadening efforts really paid off.

I appreciate the people that have posted checking for the noise.

By no means is the noise loud. It's just at a certain frequency that I pick up. And, now that I know the sound, I'm attuned to it.

Hoping this thread will accumulate more posts as we go. Sounds like me and Pete, thus far.

I have a 2017 cx-5 GT awd too, and I hear the noise you are talking about. It is a very light whine noise. It is definately the drivetrain making the noise. My last Lexus did the same so did my last Acura. I know it's the drivetrain because it is the exact same sound I took my Lexus in for (the Lexus was louder). It only occurs at certain speeds like you mentioned. It is completely normal.

I have a 2017 cx-5 GT awd too, and I hear the noise you are talking about. It is a very light whine noise. It is definately the drivetrain making the noise. My last Lexus did the same so did my last Acura. I know it's the drivetrain because it is the exact same sound I took my Lexus in for (the Lexus was louder). It only occurs at certain speeds like you mentioned. It is completely normal.
Interesting, thanks for your response. I only hear it with windows up; is that your case too? Also, from what I can tell, it doesn't change in volume or pitch once the speed hits where you can hear it. Not tied to RPM either.

I can only hear it with the windows
Up no fans on or music. Once it hits that magical speed the noise comes but doesn't get louder with a faster speed. Once it hits a certain faster speed it goes away. It my be a sweet spot for the drivetrain due to vibration or resonating noise at a certain speed. My Lexus is350 did the exact same thing at around the same speeds as my cx-5. I wouldn't worry about it

I can only hear it with the windows
Up no fans on or music. Once it hits that magical speed the noise comes but doesn't get louder with a faster speed. Once it hits a certain faster speed it goes away. It my be a sweet spot for the drivetrain due to vibration or resonating noise at a certain speed. My Lexus is350 did the exact same thing at around the same speeds as my cx-5. I wouldn't worry about it
Yup, that's exactly it. Mine is most noticeable in the 45-55 range.

After that, wind and road noise, albeit not really loud either, drown it out.

Anyone else starting to hear this noise on the 2017? I'm taking mine in to get the oil changed tomorrow, and I'm going to bring it up with the tech. The noise literally starts at 45mph to about 60mph. If I let off the gas , the noise almost disappears until I give it slight gas and the car is under load. Once it hits 60+mph, I don't hear it anymore. Could be from the tire noise or it just goes away. It's not nearly loud enough to take a video of it, and the noise will be there no matter if the car is warmed up or just started

I can't say I've noticed this yet on mine. Hopefully, it doesn't sound like the rear differential whine I had my old 2013 Golf R. They flew an engineer out from Germany to inspect my car and replaced the rear diff twice. I ended up trading the car in after 18 months.

Other than a slight pull to the left, my CX-5 has been fine for the first two months. On a recent trip, the 31 mpgs over 700 highway miles was a pleasant surprise.

Back