What is a good low profile jack for the Mazda 5 front lift point?

aviphysics

:
2008 Mazda 5
What is a good low profile jack for the Mazda 5 front lift point? Specifically thinking about the 2nd generation Mazda 5 (mine is a 2008).

My experience in dealing with catching the lift point on the cross member.

Coming in from the side:
Assuming you are NOT lowered, you can insert a trolley jack (the big ones won’t fit) in-between the wheel well, the gap behinds the front tire. You’d need to eye the cup to ensure it catches the center point and the gap between the wheel well is enough to pump the jack. If you are lower, you can use the scissor jack on the pinch welds to raise it up a hair so you can insert the trolley jack. I was doing it this way using a cheap old 2.5 ton craftsman’s jack before I upgrade (The Craftsman has served it duty faithfully for +15 years but ultimately blew a piston seal – I never serviced it/change oil).
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKjWreyOudQCFaq6swod83YK3A

Coming in from the front:
Trolley jack’s pump hand is too short to come in from the front so you don’t have leverage. Regardless if you are lower or stock, stack 2+ wood planks together to raise the front end. This is so there’s more clearance to pump your jack. Otherwise, it is too deep/recessed. I’m now using this HF jack and would recommend it if you don’t need to transport your jack. It’s a decent quality Snap-on knock-off. The only con is that it is HEAVY AS HELL and cost a little more than the more generic Pittsburg double pump 3 tons but the fit/finish is worth it if you frequently use it. Otherwise, I’d say go with an aluminum jack in as high tonnage rating as you are willing to pay. Jacks are for lifting, jack stands are for holding.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-daytona-professional-steel-floor-jack-super-duty-63183.html

I drive onto a ramp first then slide trolley jack underneath to lift car. It's safe and works

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

That's what I have, the same one as @hank3, Harbor Freight Low Profile. Not the rapid pump version (unfortunately), but it's worked great for 7+ years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Driving onto some 2x4 sounds like a winning idea. Not so high that it would damage the vehicle if I missed or pulled forward too far, but high enough to get the jack in there; also super cheap.

Ramps make me nervous. Partly because I don't trust the cheap ones and partly because I am exactly the kind of clumsy fool that would unwittingly put the car into forward instead of reverse when trying to pull off of them.

Will take a look at the harbor freight jack. My current bargain basement hydrolic jack seems like it is heading down and should probably be replaced, even if it was short enough and had enough reach.

Thanks for the advice. Driving onto some 2x4 sounds like a winning idea. Not so high that it would damage the vehicle if I missed or pulled forward too far, but high enough to get the jack in there; also super cheap.

Ramps make me nervous. Partly because I don't trust the cheap ones and partly because I am exactly the kind of clumsy fool that would unwittingly put the car into forward instead of reverse when trying to pull off of them.

Will take a look at the harbor freight jack. My current bargain basement hydrolic jack seems like it is heading down and should probably be replaced, even if it was short enough and had enough reach.
Ramps used to scare me. I never used them on anything. Then for my bday 4 years ago friend gave them to me.

Since our Mazda5 is the cheapest /least care about vehicle we have, I decided to try. It is the best invention ever. I do all my own oil changes. I usually have my significant other direct me from the front to aim the wheels. You can't fall off, due to the front of the ramp having a stopper.

you get used to it. Then again I use it once a year for oil changes.

Good luck

Back