No air coming out of vents.

:
Mazda Protege5
Have a trip soon and I don't have any circulation of air coming out my dash. I changed the ac fuse just in case. I do remember it blowing at one point I believe when my radiator was flushed. I recharged the freon a while back and the piping was cold but again no wind whatsoever. Any way to diagnose maybe get the ball rolling?

Yeah, is it hooked up under the dash? Make sure it's clipped down too or else it won't have enough tension to turn the core knobs.
There is two of them. One for ac and one for the heater. Make sure they are hooked up and clipped down.
One is under the dash above the pedals the other is kind of behind the glove box(more so behind the CD player).

the metal wire on the metal clips that move when you turn the knobs? Those are still there surprisingly.
The metal clips should not be on the metal wire. They are usually a 1/2 inch or so up on the black housing the wires are in. If they have been messed with before make sure they aren't slackin out on ya and not moving like they should be. Also IIRC, one of them moves the diverter from fresh to recirculate and the other one moves between vent/def/floor and combo settings. There is a sweet spot for travel when clipping the wires into place.

Last edited:
So I had someone look it over and he said I have pinhole leaks on the high pressure hose. I've tried to look online and found nothing on rockauto sadly the cheapest was dealer. Any suggestions and is this something I can do myself or should I pay to get this done?

I can see compressor not running if low on refrigerant but that should not stop air from blowing from vents or defrost or floor when the fan switch is in any position other than off. You said you added refrigerant and piping was cold and that indicates to me that the compressor was running to get any piping cold. The wind not blowing is separate issue from the pin hole on hi side. The other issue in this area would be the fan speed resistor thing............

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...the-quot-no-A-C-on-fan-speed-2-3-quot-problem

Or his fan switch and connector are completely fried.

Last edited:
Have a trip soon and I don't have any circulation of air coming out my dash...

Are you saying you've got air blowing on your feet and the windshield just not from the dash toward you ?
Or do you have no wind at all like it's turned off ??

... The other issue in this area would be the fan speed resistor thing............

Usually a burned out resistor still allows fan speed 4..
The resistor is for fan speeds 1,2 & 3 and is bypassed for fan speed 4.

But all the speeds and power need to get through our flimsy melty burned up fanswitch.

It's not too hard to check the connector at the back of the fan switch... The resistor is easy to replace too, and a bunch of guys ran into that problem.
(But it seems like every one of us has run into the flicking AC light thing)

This,.. By the way, is the most effective and reliable fix.

It's redneck approved.

You may have a bad blower relay...

For you to have no wind at all at any fan speed or flickering of the AC light, suggests that relay...

You could test to see if power is getting through the relay... See if you here it clicking...
(I don't know if it would click with the ignition or turning the fan on... probably ignition)

Last edited:
Are you saying you've got air blowing on your feet and the windshield just not from the dash toward you ?
Or do you have no wind at all like it's turned off ??

No air whatsoever with the switch turned. Only ambient air coming in from outside.

Usually a burned out resistor still allows fan speed 4..
The resistor is for fan speeds 1,2 & 3 and is bypassed for fan speed 4.

But all the speeds and power need to get through our flimsy melty burned up fanswitch.

It's not too hard to check the connector at the back of the fan switch... The resistor is easy to replace too, and a bunch of guys ran into that problem.
(But it seems like every one of us has run into the flicking AC light thing)

I've never seen it flicker before but have heard of that problem on here.

You may have a bad blower relay...

For you to have no wind at all at any fan speed or flickering of the AC light, suggests that relay...

You could test to see if power is getting through the relay... See if you here it clicking...
(I don't know if it would click with the ignition or turning the fan on... probably ignition)

I've heard clicking before but only when I engage on push on the cruise control button.

Checking your fan switch and connector is relatively easy to do.
There is a bunch of relays in that corner... Try to isolate it and listen,... You may be able to feel it click too.

You can test it by supplying power to it.

Check your Heater fuse too... #1
I'm pretty sure that means blower motor...

Same happened to me when i bought the p5, seller claimed ac did not work at all. So what i did was removed the blower motor, when removed i turned the wheel and i heard a cracked like i broke the dirt between the wheel. Then i rinsed it off with very hot water, let dry for awhile and blower motor worked.

Same happened to me when i bought the p5, seller claimed ac did not work at all. So what i did was removed the blower motor, when removed i turned the wheel and i heard a cracked like i broke the dirt between the wheel. Then i rinsed it off with very hot water, let dry for awhile and blower motor worked.

Never heard of that one...

I suppose the smart thing to do would be to trace the voltage through all the wires, switches and connectors.

Back