Considering new CX5 - Nervous with last CX9 experience

dhayes16

:
Mazda CX9
Hello All.
i have a 2010 CX9 that has been relatively reliable and has 123K Miles. Had the cracked transfer case issue and the bearings would get eaten up all the time. Perhaps because it was so heavy. Anyway, I am nervous about getting another Mazda but that CX5 looks so nice and reviews well. It seems like all the issues I had with the CX9 were related to the ford parts if I am not mistaken. Did Mazda get away from ford parts?

What are your thoughts on the 2016/2017 CX5 quality and reliability?

Thanks
Dave

No Ford parts to my knowledge. Mazda developed the Skyactiv platform themselves.

Edit: And reliability wise, I would say it's proven to be extremely reliable. My 2014 (Jan 2013 manufacturing date) is going strong. Should hit 50k miles in the next month or so. Plenty of others with much higher mileage still going strong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Been all Mazda since circa 2012/2013 when SkyActiv came out. So no need to worry.

Agree, no Ford parts. I'm expecting incredible reliability from these cars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I haven't read about any issues from owners of the 1st gen CX-5, and the '17 model uses pretty much the same parts but reworked so I would expect the new model to be reliable as well. Seems like the 2.5 engine is pretty bulletproof.

I haven't read about any issues from owners of the 1st gen CX-5, and the '17 model uses pretty much the same parts but reworked so I would expect the new model to be reliable as well. Seems like the 2.5 engine is pretty bulletproof.

Indeed.

2.5L has been in use since 2012 across the Mazda 3, 6 and CX-5 not to mention a variation of it in the CX-9 (in turbo guise) and in Europe, another variation with the soon to be released cylinder shutdown version.

Hello All.
i have a 2010 CX9 that has been relatively reliable and has 123K Miles. Had the cracked transfer case issue and the bearings would get eaten up all the time. Perhaps because it was so heavy. Anyway, I am nervous about getting another Mazda but that CX5 looks so nice and reviews well. It seems like all the issues I had with the CX9 were related to the ford parts if I am not mistaken. Did Mazda get away from ford parts?

Thanks
Dave

Do a search on JD Power reliability study. It can be a bit confusing to find. Basically, they said the 2015 was solid, the 2016 not so much and no rating on the 2017.

I've been looking at a lot of cars, one that came up was the fusion plugin. I started reading about it and, man, just bad builds. It's not that the cars all failed, rather that they were put together sloppily. Things would fall off, get loose, dealers couldn't fix the computers, etc. Kind of my experience with them on my Ford Mustang. Mazda is much better off without them.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I am still on the fence here. I did test drive the CX5 and it is an awesome ride. I am now into that mode where others seem to find themselves comparing the Honda CR-V with the CX5. Along those lines I was actually considering the 2014 or 2015 models via used. But the 2015 Honda with the CVT seems to have that nasty vibration issue and is not as fun as the CX5. Arg...i hate buying cars.

Thanks again

Hello All.

Thanks
Dave

2016 Has legitimate problems that are inherent design issues - Windshields / Tx issues (though sporadic can happen).
2017 may have fixed those issues and added few others.
If you like 17 looks and use this as a family car - 17 is the winner - no 2nd opinion or no 2nd thoughts. Its a winner by a ton.
If you are going to be commuting a lot and not using it as a family - 16 is a bargain now.

Quality wise I would rank Mazda below Toyota but along same line as Honda.
I do not trust 17 CRV due to tiny turbo and CVT combo. Honda has been losing their mojo and moving towards more discounts along the lines of Nissan. They are not there yet but their cars are a notch lower than before.

I would pick up a CPO 16 - if you can get a 30K mile example. Its piece of mind.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I am still on the fence here. I did test drive the CX5 and it is an awesome ride. I am now into that mode where others seem to find themselves comparing the Honda CR-V with the CX5. Along those lines I was actually considering the 2014 or 2015 models via used. But the 2015 Honda with the CVT seems to have that nasty vibration issue and is not as fun as the CX5. Arg...i hate buying cars.

Thanks again

Dont be silly. In 2017 CR-V can compete with CX-5, previous models just cannot. They are horribad with mpg. You will pay extra for a Honda and pay extra to fuel up. Plus be looked down upon when hogging left lane.

Dont be silly. In 2017 CR-V can compete with CX-5, previous models just cannot. They are horribad with mpg. You will pay extra for a Honda and pay extra to fuel up. Plus be looked down upon when hogging left lane.

Hahaha +1Mil

2016 Has legitimate problems that are inherent design issues - Windshields / Tx issues (though sporadic can happen).

Must have been only in the USA cause 2016 CX-5 here had no such issues.

Back