Radiator Electric Cooling Fan

cmm47172

:
2013 Mazda 2 Touring
My daughter has a 2013 Mazda 2 Touring. She pulled in the driveway after about a 10 mile drive. While the car was sitting there idling , I opened the hood and noticed the cooling fan would run for about 10 seconds then stop for about 10 seconds. This process continued over and over. Is this normal? Is it an indication of a problem? Thanks ahead of time to anyone who responds.

If the A/C was on it could well be normal... Only coming on when the high side pressure hits the pressure limit triggering the fan on.

Could also mean a low charge, I know especially during hot weather mine will run continuously when the A/C is on. If A/C performance is OK then I wouldn't worry much about it. If not, or you just want to make sure, go to a legitimate shop and have them evacuate and pull a vacuum on the system for 30+ minutes, then recharge with UV dye whatever amount of oil was removed during recovery, and charged with the proper amount of refrigerant. Using the stupid cans from a parts store will never be correct, plus only seeing the low side tells you nothing useful.

Back