Anyone DIY the starter?

thaxman

Mazda5 the Anti-Van
My coolant leak cascaded into a battery AND starter. Funny how the car was in fine running condition a week ago when I put it up to look at the water pump.
Anyway, I am only halfway through the starter swap because the thing is buried behind coolant hoses, wire looms and assorted useless brackets, not to mention the oil cooler/filter attachment.
Can anyone offer pointers, since IDK how I will get it back in if/once I get it out??

Haven't done this one to the 5. But I will say this, when a job looks complicated. Start very early so you can finish the same day and don't have to try to remember what went where. Take a picture before you take it out will help too. Also look at youtube videos. You may have to view one taken with a mazda 3 but as long as it's a 2.3 motor, it should be similar. Cars are like puzzles. Some are those easy 10 piece puzzles and some are those 1000 piece puzzles. Just more steps. You got this!

You may wanna do more testing. How did you diagnose there to be a battery issue? Load test it? How did you diagnose it to now be a starter issue? Using your multimeter? Confirm solid signal from ignition circuit? Load side good? Any significant voltage drop? Green crusties on any of the connections? Any fuses blown during water pump investigation? Tap on the starter during crank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back