2017 CX5 lighting control issue

tsenqi

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Just got my new CX5 for 2 weeks. I realize there might be issue with my headlight control. When I turn my light to OFF, the headlight is still on when the car is driven. According to manual, when light is set as OFF, headlight is off when it is parked,only day time running light (the LED ring) should be on, when driving.
When I stop and park, it seems work right. The headlight is OFF.
Anyone can help me check on your CX5? Or it is just mine.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your headlights will always be on with your DRLs, but at a lower frequency. The headlights never go off in Automatic. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Exactly. Mazda USA decision

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you. But I found even I set it as Off, when I back my car from garage, the light is off (as expected). But when it picks up some speed (very low, estimated 5mph). The headlight is turned on.
I can understand it is on if I set it as Auto. But I think headlight should be Off, if it is set as Off.

DRL is speed / motion activated. If your DRL are off due to being parked they will remain off momentarily until you start moving. If you are in a location where DRL are not required you can turn them off completely (off means off) but your LED accent lighting is a part of this system and will be off as well.

What you're explaining is completely normal behavior of the lighting system and it has been discussed here many times.

Thank you. But I found even I set it as Off, when I back my car from garage, the light is off (as expected). But when it picks up some speed (very low, estimated 5mph). The headlight is turned on.
I can understand it is on if I set it as Auto. But I think headlight should be Off, if it is set as Off.

That is because DRL's usually come on when drive is selected and you move regardless of you having the stalk to off.

There is a hack to permanently turn off DRLs. See this post:

How to Disable DRL

and this is the confirmation post that it works on the 2017 model:

2017 CX-5 DRL disabled

This question has been asked several times:

2017 CX-5 drl question

2017 DRL/signal light emulation

Mazda North American Operations shouldn't change the setup for DRLs on 2017 CX-5 from 2016 CX-5 which makes your low-beam headlights and accent strip Signature LEDs both serve as DRLs! Of course this makes CX-5 the first vehicle in the US to have BOTH LED accent strips and headlights on as DRLs. If I were you I'd call MNAO and go to NHTSA website to complain and hopefully these would force MNAO to change this unnecessary DRL setup!

That is because DRL's usually come on when drive is selected and you move regardless of you having the stalk to off.

There is a hack to permanently turn off DRLs. See this post:

How to Disable DRL

and this is the confirmation post that it works on the 2017 model:

2017 CX-5 DRL disabled

I did / will so do this in the parking garage at work to experiment...
because saving the LED lowbeam is important to me ...
but I will turn on the lights in foggy / rainy conditions ... because FOG city

I did / will so do this in the parking garage at work to experiment...
because saving the LED lowbeam is important to me ...
but I will turn on the lights in foggy / rainy conditions ... because FOG city

Good luck!

Back