CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

Thread: Need new struts and mounts, anybody had issues with Monroe Quickstruts?

Registered Member

02 Protege 5

Need new struts and mounts, anybody had issues with Monroe Quickstruts?

I am needed to replace all my suspension components very badly as everything is shaking, popping, and rattling from all 4 corners of the vehicle. I am hoping to avoid the hassle of using spring compressors and am looking at Monroe quickstruts for the P5. Has anybody had any issues with these parts? Is Monroe reputable? The quickstruts have everything you need to just pull the old stuff out and put new stuff in. Including strut mounts and stuff.

Here is a link to model I am hoping to purchase http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....387447&jsn=362

2003 Protege5

I didn't know you could purchase strut assemblies for the rears... Nice. Up until recently, I believe you could only buy the front assemblies: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...strut-assembly

I replaced (only) my struts within the last couple years with KYB ones. In the end, I did not save as much as I'd hoped as I had to replace the bump stops, which had disintegrated. (I had to grab them last-minute locally and they were expensive.) I also didn't get the benefit of new rubber parts and the bearings up top. Others here can weigh in on Monroe (and have as you've no doubt seen from your searches). I will say that the KYB ones are rather lively/bouncy, perhaps more so than stock? Before replacing them, my car was exciting because of how badly it responded to bumps. Now, it's exciting because it "overreacts."
    Protect boys (and the men they become) from harm: www.luckystiff.org (my website)

Registered Member

02 Protege 5

Yeah I think I am going to spring for the quickstruts. I will try and remember to put together a guide of replacing them and report back with how they feel and stuff. Currently my rear end is sagging a ton and i really need to get new struts. It is getting bad.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by tropiganda View Post
    ...Currently my rear end is sagging a ton and i really need to get new struts. It is getting bad.
    Keep in mind that 90% of sag is from the coils... There is very little spring pressure on the strut itself... You can push it in by hand... It's pretty much just a damper.

I've got Monroe struts on the back and they're working fine for me. (I reused the coils)

Registered Member

02 Protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    Keep in mind that 90% of sag is from the coils... There is very little spring pressure on the strut itself... You can push it in by hand... It's pretty much just a damper.

I've got Monroe struts on the back and they're working fine for me. (I reused the coils)
    That is good to know, thanks