My new CX-9 and have some questions

:
2017 CX-9 Touring
I purchased my brand new CX-9 last month and I really enjoyed driving the car. When the car is due for oil change... I have a couple of questions... since my car has a turbo engine that comes with it. I know it uses full synthetic oil.

Is there a brand that anyone use or recommends? Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Castrol Edge or just use Mazda Moly Engine Oil?

Another question is... when I read the owner's manual for scheduled maintenance, I'm not seeing anything about transaxle fluid change intervals? Does it mean that the transaxle fluid is never need changing unless the transmission needs replacement?

Thanks and cheers!

According to the owner's manual (which is the document for warranty coverage) any 5W-30 oil qualifies of API Service Category SN or newer. Synthetic is a very good idea, but not required. Any top brand of oil will do a fine job. No recommendation for any gear or transmission oil change. Modern automatic transmission fluids are designed for 100,000 mile life. Not saying it isn't prudent to change the fluid sooner, just no recommendation.

I've been busy and my 2016 CX-9 just passed the 5,000 mile mark. Do I absolutely have to bring it to the dealer or can I do a quick oil change at home to satisfy the maintenance requirements? What are the downsides to changing the oil at home (or at a fast-lube place)? Will I be able to reset the maintenance reminder? Are there other things the dealer should attend to? I can always bring it to the dealer in a couple of months when things slow down.

Thanks for all the help here!

-The owner's manual recommends 7500 mile oil drain interval except in extreme conditions.
-You do not need to have maintenance done at a dealer. In the case of a warranty claim that would relate to the maintenance (oil lubed part failure relates to oil changes) you need to prove that you followed the owner's manual maintenance schedule. A receipt from a licensed auto repair shop qualifies (and a fast lube place is OK, but I'd take in a Mazda oil filter just to avoid the $1 filter they overcharge for. Do not let them sell you anything extra.) Do it yourself with oil & filter receipts and a photo--probably.
-Yes, you do the reset.
-You only need a dealer for service campaigns (updates or recalls) and for warranty repairs.

Thank you all for the input. I'll look around and find the synthetic oil that follows the API Service Category SN. Interesting info about transmission oil, I guess I won't have to worry about that one for a long while.

Koert, you could purchase your own oil and have dealer or oil change place to do the job or do it yourself. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing your own oil change at home while the car is under warranty as long as one knows what they are doing. My car spends most of the time on the highway so I plan to follow the owners manual recommendation oil drain intervals at 7500 miles.

-The owner's manual recommends 7500 mile oil drain interval except in extreme conditions.

Thanks. That's what I suspected but I wasn't confident that I could put it off for another couple thousand miles. I appreciate the advice.

Back