Trans cooler for 5 speed

:
02 Mazda P5
Has anyone done a trans cooler on a 5 speed or is it possible to do so. My mp3 when the weather is hot trans feels to be over working. Just replaced fluid about 1/2 a year ago or so. You opinions please

Are you tracking the car? There is no way you have an issue with normal street driving.

That said I don't believe one exists and it likely wouldn't be easy to install any type of aftermarket one as the fluid never leaves the transmission.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

In the morning i have no issues shifts smooth, but when the car sits for hours in the hot sun shifts get hard. Get scratching in 3rd and have to really put pressure in the shifter to put into 1st and light pressure into 2nd.

I know what you mean my gf's Mazda 3 seems to do that when we lived in Arizona. But when I moved more north everything went well!

Perhaps you put the wrong fluid in when it was changed.

Although I wouldn't think that would make it harder to shift when warm. Usually it's cold weather performance that you feel the difference

Edit: or perhaps you didn't put enough fluid in. That could cause it to overheat.

Ambient temperature shouldn't make a big difference in the operating temperature of the transmission fluid. Once it's warmed up out should remain around the same temp if your just doing normal driving

Last edited:
I live in Arizona where it's 100 plus everyday and I don't have a problem. I also put in Royal purple synchro mesh, had a clutch squeak changed transmissions fluid and throw out bearing stopped for a bit then came back. Got to the summer and it went away again.

What fluid did you put back in when you changed? It's possible that it could be the issue. I might try changing to a different brand like redline or royal prior to see if that solves your problem. Certainly a cheap thing to try...

Acdelco synthetic axle lubricant sae 75w-90
That's the right weight at least.

Try one of the better fluids and see if resolves the problem. And be sure to put the correct amount in. Can't remember for sure, but I think it is basically over flowing when it is full in this car.

TRANSAXLE OIL REPLACEMENT [F25M-R]
A3U051527001W02
1. Remove the drain plug and the washer.
2. Drain the oil into a container.
3. Install a new washer and the drain plug.
Tightening torque
40—58 Nm {4.0—6.0 kgfm, 29—43 ftlbf}
4. Remove the oil level plug and the washer. Add
the specified amount and type of oil through the
oil level plug hole until the level reaches the
bottom of the oil level plug hole.
Specified oil
Grade: API service GL-4 or GL-5
Viscosity: SAE 75W—90 (All season) or SAE
80W—90 (Above 10 C {50 F})
Capacity (approximate quantity)
2.68 L {2.83 US qt, 2.36 Imp qt}
5. Install a new washer and the oil level plug.
Tightening torque
40—58 Nm {4.0—6.0 kgfm, 29—43 ftlbf}

I'm going to try oem fluid and see if that works, if not may be could be the clutch or actuator.

Take a good hard look at the clutch hydraulics - when normal fluids get warm,
the viscosity drops (gets 'thinner') and if you have worn seals in either cylinder
it can start slipping by them. If you have normal miles for the age of the car and
they're still original, there's a good chance that one of them is ready for rebuild
or replacement. Check the flex hose carefully for cracking, too. Mine failed once
70 miles from home, luckily it was mostly interstate driving to get back. Had a
flashback to my Kawasaki riding days for clutchless shifting...

Back