Mazdaspeed3 2008 Reliability

syasar

:
NoCar
So I found a Mazdaspeed3 2008 form a private seller. Now I am not sure how reliable theses cars are it is a 2008 almost a decade old. The car it self 250 000 km on it. The car does have a few issues like a broken rear windows; which is 550 dollar fix form speedyglass, it also needs new summer tires and a headlight does not work (might be the socket or the ballast). Now I havn't gone to see the car wondering what I should be looking for, i expect rust. The seller does not mind me taking the car to the mechanic to have it checked out. But the process is time comsuming for me and the seller so if there is any obvious signs of an expensive repair i would like know before I take the car to the mechanic and put money on the car.

Hopefully I have been clear, what I like to know is if there are any expensive relibllity issue for speed3's with high mileges; like clutch or engine problems. What could I expect to pay down the the line. Is it even worth buying a high milege speed3 even though its on the cheaper side.

One of the most valuable things the high-mileage car owner can show you is a maintenance history table/list or at least a folder with receipts. Know Mazda's maintenance schedule for that vehicle and compare. As far as the clutch goes, mileage means little. It is the type of driving that is important. For example, if the owner drove to work on mostly highway, the clutch would last a very long time. Lots of city (stop and go) driving would wear the clutch out more quickly. Did he or she rest his or her foot on the clutch pedal at stop lights? That is not good for throw-out bearing life.
Generally, Mazdaspeeds were reliable, maybe not as reliable as a non-Mazdaspeed, but more reliable than a VW Golf. I can look at Consumer Reports auto guides, tonight to see if there are any specific issues.

@concept thanks for the tip I did not even think to compare maintenance with what mazda recommends; there are some repair the the owner did mention, maybe they may provide some more insight.
- ac
- idler pulley, tensioner pulley, sperpentine belt
- swat bar bushing, endlinks
-slave cylinder
-idle air control vavle
-brakes where done recently

Im really just getting into car, trying to learn all I can not sure of the severity of these repairs an what they intail.

Hope that adds a little more context.

None of those items should be cause for concern. I would typically jot down a list of maintenance-related and repair questions before doing a phone "interview". If I don't like the answers (or lack thereof), I won't even bother to go look at the car. I spoke to a guy, recently who told me his buddy (who worked at a Mazda dealership) had replaced his engine, 20,000 miles ago. When I asked the car owner if he had any receipts, he told me he didn't and that his buddy moved out of state and is not able to be contacted. I never looked at the car because the owner's answers were red flags to me.
Here in California, it is the seller who is responsible for having the car smog-checked, yet I have had so many owners me they were not responsible.

Yea when i spoke to him he was pretty honest with everything. I actually ended up seeing the car, he was very open showed me all the problems, let me drive around in the car. Aside form the issues i already knew about, the battery prob needed to be changed and one window didnt come down. Now i passed on the car because coming out of idle the car actually puffed white smoke, its seems the turbo isnt draining oil well enough. Decided it wasnt worth the risk anymore. If it wasnt for the turbo and if a mechanic cleared the engine. Definatly would have put an offer on the car.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Back