2017 CX-5 Electric Power Steering

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
So I was inspecting the engine bay of my new 2017 CX-5 GT last night and could not find the power steering fluid reservoir. This may be a dumb question, and I'm not familiar with electric power steering, but is the use of power steering fluid no longer needed?

You gotta feel it its electric (breakn)
CX5s were since inception, the good news is Mazda's eps is one of the best available though I think they dialed down the weight for 2017 a bit.

Last edited:
Right, no PS fluid anymore. If anyone tries to sell you on a fluid change, run away.

CX5s were since inception, the good news is Mazda's eps is one of the best available though I think they dialed down the weight for 2017 a bit.

I was shocked at how light the steering was on my 2017 test drive, but in retrospect, I think that was my perception based on the feel when not moving, or going very slow. It sounds like it stiffens up quite a bit at speed. That is probably ideal and well planned, but was a bit off-putting initially for me. I assume with an electric system they have a lot more control over the profile, and it doesn't need to be linear.

This is indeed how it should work. Light enough at slow speeds, firmer when driving

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I was shocked at how light the steering was on my 2017 test drive, but in retrospect, I think that was my perception based on the feel when not moving, or going very slow. It sounds like it stiffens up quite a bit at speed. That is probably ideal and well planned, but was a bit off-putting initially for me. I assume with an electric system they have a lot more control over the profile, and it doesn't need to be linear.

That's funny we went from a 2015 Kia Soul with EPS and when my wife first drove the car she thought the steering wheel was very stiff... I on the other hand love the way it feels rather than the numb steering on the Kia.

That's funny we went from a 2015 Kia Soul with EPS and when my wife first drove the car she thought the steering wheel was very stiff... I on the other hand love the way it feels rather than the numb steering on the Kia.

Different perspectives :)

Steering is good imo. I added the autoexe outer tie rods to reduce bumpsteer too.

The later Soul has three different settings for the steering feel. The beauty of EPS on modern cars is two fold. Firstly it saves the energy drain by needlessly circulating fluid even when the car is going in a straight line. Secondly, it's easy to build in an angle sensor which is integrated with the stability control system. If the inertia doesn't match the angle, the VSC and ABS will intervene.

I almost spit out my moscato!!! LMAO!

They did perform some changes to the steering rack for this new model.

Back