2017 CX-5 Gas usage

:
CX-5
Hi everyone! Sorry I'm new here and I don't have much knowledge with cars. I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 AWD GT but I feel like its been eating up a lot of gas and I don't know if thats normal? I've attached a pic I took this morning while heading to work. It'd be great if somebody could help me out! thank you!

Attachments

• CX-5.JPG
    CX-5.JPG
    777.8 KB · Views: 562
Hi everyone! Sorry I'm new here and I don't have much knowledge with cars. I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 AWD GT but I feel like its been eating up a lot of gas and I don't know if thats normal? I've attached a pic I took this morning while heading to work. It'd be great if somebody could help me out! thank you!

Please let us know some more about driving speed etc. Is it city / mixed / highway?
Please verify the tire pressures. Its listed on your door and you should fill atleast that. Many fill + 2 psi.

This morning i did 35 mph avg. - 20 miles over 40ish minutes with stop n go in 16.5 - 32 mpg for trip.
If its a light to light backed up situation i hit 25.

My first tank was 22.5 in dreadful Atlanta traffic 90% of the time. AND it's hilly.
I do think my tires are under pressured at 33psi. Also it's only got 500 miles on the engine. Probably will get better with time.

My first tank was 22.5 in dreadful Atlanta traffic 90% of the time. AND it's hilly.
I do think my tires are under pressured at 33psi. Also it's only got 500 miles on the engine. Probably will get better with time.

That's about what I get in hilly terrain for a tank-average with traffic, short drives, etc. and about 60-70% freeway at 70-75.

The 17s still have those junky Toyo tires on them? My mileage drastically improved per the computer when I replaced mine with Continentals. Going to start using fuelly again but I expect much better results than what I was getting before

The 17s still have those junky Toyo tires on them? My mileage drastically improved per the computer when I replaced mine with Continentals. Going to start using fuelly again but I expect much better results than what I was getting before

Well they changed the name on it so it's an A36 now but I guess it's a very meh tire 300 A A. Which contis did you get?

Was your trip computer reset when you filled up? If so, that's only around 185 miles for a single tank, which is mid-teens in mileage. Going based on 93 miles left with 3/8ths of a tank, that would come out to around 248 miles for the tank. I get around 280-290ish per tank in city only for my FWD and it's steadily been creeping upwards.

First make sure that you reset all the data fields. Not just the trip but also the average mpg, 2 separate settings. Maybe it's different on the 17's but on the older version the "average" could be from the last year of driving, and will never go away unless it is reset. Putting the trip to 0 doesn't restart the average mpg.

Sekmor is correct. You can also go to settings and turn on trip mpg. It will appear when you turn the car off. Should give a better indication

Firstly its a new vehicle and it takes a while for the fuel consumption to settle.

Secondly what will help new 2017 CX-5 owners in terms of fuel economy is actual time travelling along with distances and traffic volumes. Short trips of say less than 20 minutes coupled with stop/start traffic won't help the averages.

I'm actually happy I'm getting 22.5. I commute 7 miles to work and it takes me about 25 minutes each way because of traffic. All surface streets.
For an AWD I think it's not to shabby.

I'm actually happy I'm getting 22.5. I commute 7 miles to work and it takes me about 25 minutes each way because of traffic. All surface streets.
For an AWD I think it's not to shabby.

That's city travel right?

85% city driving, less than 900 miles, some experimenting with the sport mode and I'm astounded how good my mileage has been.

I take my first road trip of 2 hours each way this weekend.

First real 'road trip' of 280 miles today. Pushed the odometer past the 1,000 mile mark. Arterial and divided hiway with speeds kept down to 60-65mph. Hot and humid day with a 15-20 MPH breeze.

Result? 31.9 miles per gallon. I think I got a good one!

My average MPG is 22.5, and that is mostly city. I also use Sport when taking off from a dead stop, then quickly move to Drive.

Also, the car still has less than 500 miles on it. I'm happy.

Back