In Search Of An Elegant Phone Mount Solution....

dulanypeters

:
Car Coming Soon!
Until Mazda either includes Waze or Google Maps in the stock nav package or at least bakes in Apple Car Play/Android Auto many of us are stuck having to use our phones b/c the navigation and real time traffic are much better than any infotainment system (even those like Volvo, which has 'real time traffic' that is anything but).

I am in a 3 year leaser so I definitely don't want any of the mounts that require an adhesive to be stuck to the interior (they work I guess but I assume they do some damage) and suction cups, well, I hate the way the look and i think window mounts block the view a bit. Nor do I like the clips that fit onto the air vents (in my experience they fall off and also make the phone either very hot or very cold)

Has any tried the Proclip console mount specifically made for the MY 2016/17 CX-9? I'd just do the mount and would adhese onto that a magnetic holder (saving me from buying the other part of the proclip).

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard...nsole-mount-835230-16530.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

But curious from those who have used this--is it too low? Does it interfere at all with the passenger (aka the wife 99% of the time for me)?

Scoshe makes some ver nice magnet mounts. I own several. Magnets are strong and suction cups are very well made. 20.00 - 24.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the stick on dash with 3M adhesive and windshield mount. With the stick on I just went for it. Need the mount. 2014 Mustang had a nice flat area on the dash. CX3 I have on the glass left of speedo console

I found anything with glue/tape always leaves a residue and damages the surface beneath. Real wood is not forgiving to adhesives.

I use a Kenu Airframe+ vent mount; not ideal but good enough

Ya....there really is nothing great. And the CX-9 really doesn't have much flat dash area. Again, as a leaser I don't want to do anything that will cause them to penalize me. I've seen guys do elaborate set ups that involved drilling, etc. I guess if you own the car that's an option.

The vent mounts are good in that they can be used as needed. I have one that I can try out I guess to start.

Looking forward to the day when in car Navs are built with Waze....

I use a ClicOn bracket and Nilken Wireless charging magnetic holder. Works well for me and the bracket fits perfectly in teh car without screw holes etc

If you use a hairdryer on the adhesive. Especially good stuff like 3M you can usually remove with little risk of damage.

I use a ClicOn bracket and Nilken Wireless charging magnetic holder. Works well for me and the bracket fits perfectly in teh car without screw holes etc

Got...That appears to be Australian version of the ClipPro product I mentioned. Do you have the magnetic part adhesed to the metal part of the bracket?

I'm using a vent mount holder and it works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I had this and would not recommend - the combination of the mount and the phone is too heavy and tilts the vents downward.
Also, when you pull the phone away. ,the magnet is so strong it pull the mount off the vent.

I was hopefully because the magnet mount worked great in my other card (except the adhesive), but did not works well for me.

Given the AC issues with the CX-9 some have mentioned, do you find that the vent location cuts down on airflow in any significant way?

I can tell you this is not an issue - air flow is air flow - it goes around. All you end up with this a cold phone :)

I had this and would not recommend - the combination of the mount and the phone is too heavy and tilts the vents downward.
Also, when you pull the phone away. ,the magnet is so strong it pull the mount off the vent.

I was hopefully because the magnet mount worked great in my other card (except the adhesive), but did not works well for me.

agreed, the magnet will not work, unless you want to re-attach the mount every time to the vent.

This one work better,

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LPKDYHE/

You can find these at Marshall or TJMaxx.

There are some cup holder sticks available on Amazon that might work for you. Personally, I have an iOttie stuck to the windshield for my iPhone and an iOttie on the dash for my iPad. I guess I might end up with a ring on the dash if I ever take the mount off, but as I own my car and am planning on driving it for at least another five to seven years, I am not overly concerned. I don't find that either of the devices (or both on occasions) block my view, but I do sit quite a way back and the steering wheel extended as far as it can go.

Never use a vent. mount. Broke the vent mechanism on my mazda6. I have used the magnetic mounts but they need you to stick mounts to the dash and phone and the phone doesn't stay stable when you hit a bump or you could accidentally knock it off.

Use a cd slot mount. It works great for me.

I've never pulled that phone mount out of the vent. It may depend on the thickness of the phone case - I'm using an Otterbox Commuter on an iPhone.

I only have had to train myself to grab the phone first then shut the car off, otherwise I'd bump the phone and have to find it on the floor. :)

And +1 to the cold phone. I generally have the vents pointed at me (down) anyway.

I am going to try with an air vent that good great reviews on amazon (and to prevent it from pulling off when you remove the phone you have to pull it sort of sideways).

I will see how this goes. I won't need it every time I drive and really don't want something dedicated.

I have a magnetic holder that is held with the adhesive strip in my current car, a 2006 BMW, but that has just been sold and the guy wants its there, and when I added it the car was a few years old and I wasn't as meticulous.

I definitely won't add anything to the dash. Damage aside I just don't like the aesthetics of those mounts (or the ones that stick to the windshield).

It may be that, with waze piped in using bluetooth the the speakers, the stock nav combined with the turn by turn of Waze will be enough. We'll see.

Waze is so good it's hard to step away from it. And living in NYC real time traffic is a necessity.

Never use a vent. mount. Broke the vent mechanism on my mazda6. I have used the magnetic mounts but they need you to stick mounts to the dash and phone and the phone doesn't stay stable when you hit a bump or you could accidentally knock it off.

Use a cd slot mount. It works great for me.

Is there a CD player in the 2017 CX-9? Is there a slot even?

Back