Does CX-5 GT premium have remote start?

:
2017 CX-5
Trying to clarify. I've been on a few test drives and somehow forgot to check this out. Does the Gt with premium package have remote start? I'm narrowing down my choice of vehicles right now and the CX5 is really high on the list. I would get Mazda Mobile Start tho I've read the app has poor reviews. I called one of the salesmen back and he told me it does not have remote start which seems unlikely for 2017 when so many manufacturers do (well, but they also have CarPlay). So I emailed another salesman. He said it does have remote start. What say all you actual owners?

Thanks!

Ps and if you want to chime in on the reliability of the the features of the Mobile Start app, I'd love to hear that too.

Artista is correct. Here is a snapshot from Mazda USA's accessories website:

Capture.jpg

There are two remote start systems available. MMS and traditional remote start. Do NOT get MMS. I actually haven't used it but reviews are just awful. As you seem to already know. The traditional remote start seems ok. A bit expensive, range is weak, and you have to carry around that large extra key fob.

I am looking at systems myself but will be going aftermarket. I have found a nice shop around me for Compustar remote starts. Ranges vary depending on your price, but they all have "takeover" which means once you open the door after remote starting, the engine will continue to run for 45 seconds until the brake pedal is pressed. It is at that time the system searches for the key fob. If it does find it, access granted. If not, car automatically shuts off. Seems perfect to me. You do have another key fob to carry but they are smaller and allow much greater range than the stock key fob or Mazdas factory remote start. Prices for me range $450 to $550 depending whether you want 1 way or 2 way and then of course the range.

As others have mentioned, it is not included, there are 2 extra cost options from Mazda - Mazda Mobile Start (smartphone) and Remote Engine Start (fob). The MMS system requires two antennas in the upper right corner of the windshield (basically stickers with a small box at the top where the cable attaches). I have no experience with MMS. I do have RES. Attached is a picture of the Remote Engine Start fob next to the key fob for comparison. The manual for the remote start says it has a max 600 ft range (with the fob antenna extended). My brief testing indicates that is very optimistic. Seems more like 300 ft with direct line-of-sight to me. The antenna on the car is not visible, I think the service guy said it is mounted behind the dash somewhere. One advantage of the Mazda remote starters (compared to aftermarket) is that the rear defrost (and therefore the side mirror heaters and wiper de-icer also, I think) will turn on automatically if the interior temp is below 41 deg. F (or you can force it on). One disadvantage is that the engine stops when you open the door.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 792
There are two remote start systems available. MMS and traditional remote start. Do NOT get MMS. I actually haven't used it but reviews are just awful. As you seem to already know. The traditional remote start seems ok. A bit expensive, range is weak, and you have to carry around that large extra key fob.

We just got MMS installed. It is indeed clunky and not ideal. The fact that the iOS app was released 2 years ago and is still on v1.0 is fairly astonishing. As a comparison, FordPass (Ford's more robust version of this) came out 13 months ago and has been updated 13 times so far. I got it, even though I knew this, because I have to think Mazda will have to improve it and make the service more robust to keep up. Maybe I'll be wrong. \_(ツ)_/

Back