Roof rack question for 2017 CX-5: Will the Yakima Q-clips for the 2016 fit the 2017?

JasonM

:
2017 CX-5 GT Premium
I just bought my new 2017 CX-5 GT with a premium package and want to be able to haul my 12ft fishing kayak on it. I don't have the factory rails and am not a fan of the fact that they are so expensive and have only fixed mounting points. I also don't want anything on the roof of my car other than the admittedly rare occasions that I'm hauling the kayak, both for aesthetic and functional (noise, gas mileage reduction) reasons. I really like the Yakima kayak cradles and rollers, and I see the Q-tower feet that clamp onto naked roofs with clips down into the top of the door area and round bar systems available used for very low prices. The only thing necessary to make those systems work with specific cars is getting the Q-clip mount kits for the car that come with clips and rubber pads for the feet of the towers. That leads me to the question in the title. Does anyone know if the same clips for Yakima or similar roof rack feet that fit the previous gen CX-5 will fit the 2017 models? I don't have a previous gen CX-5 to compare, so I can't measure to see if the roof and door openings on the 2017 changed in a significant way.

I found out from Yakima that the Q-clips for the 2016 won't fit the 2017 CX-5. The front one is the same but the rear one is not. They don't currently have a Q-clip for the rear of the 2017 CX-5 and likely won't ever have one due to the Q-tower being discontinued. They have just published the new fit guide for the BaseLine towers for the Mazda CX-5, though. In addition to the BaseLine towers, part number 8000146, you'll need BaseClip 130 (B59-5), part number 8006130, for the front and BaseClip 154 (B74-1), part number 8006154, for the rear. Then you can use your choice of bars, and the aerodynamic series of bars like CoreBar or Jetstream will fit without an adapter. If you want to use round bars, you'll need adapters for the BaseLine towers. The small (50") bars will just be long enough, but I'd advise going with the medium (60") bars for more room without sticking out past the sides of the car.

Despite the high price of the overall system with kayak rollers and cradles, I'm likely buying all of those in the next few days. Compared to the OEM roof rails and crossbars, the price isn't so bad and will be easy to remove when I'm not using them. This will allow me to save the looks of the car design and also run the car through an automatic car wash, and actually get it all clean, anytime I want.

Back