2017 CX-9 Engine Braking/Downshifting

Danilius

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hello Everyone,

Got my new 2017 CX-9 Touring last week. Noticed a couple of days ago, when releasing the gas pedal, the car starts do decelerate rather quickly - a couple of mph/sec, does not coast. Tried at different speeds from 20-45. Is it downshifting? and is that normal? Tried to coast on neutral, and everything is fine, no speed loss. On my old 2008 Mazda 3, same thing happens when put to manual drive mode, and try to coast on the 1st gear. Any suggestions?

Hello!

It's called engine braking. Most Skyactiv engines combined with automatic transmissions have this feature.

In the past when coasting the transmission was made to disengage from the engine and let the car coast longer. It was found that keeping the driveline connected but shutting off all fuel to the engine was more economical. I think that's what our cars are doing...the coasting car is keeping the engine turning over.

In the past when coasting the transmission was made to disengage from the engine and let the car coast longer. It was found that keeping the driveline connected but shutting off all fuel to the engine was more economical. I think that's what our cars are doing...the coasting car is keeping the engine turning over.

Engine braking allows more car control when/if needed compared to cars that coast more.

I like the control aspect of engine braking (2017 CX5 GT) Does engine braking add wear and tear on auto transmission?

Last edited:
Back