Gen 2.0 CX-5 In the real world. Lets discuss...

gotcha. wasn't sure if you tried one out during your search.

Oh I test drove one once in January, but wasn't fiddling with the AC at the time. That was just to see if it was comfortable to sit in, as I never intended to get a 2016.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it more of a reach than the first gen models? Considering how much time Mazda focuses on putting all the controls/switches in just the right places, this seems like a major miss. Especially when you consider how much empty dash space they had to work with.

Well I set mine to 69 for both sides and turned Dual and Auto on back in April when I bought it. Haven't had to reach for anything with the climate control since then. So I like that the controls are low and out of the way.

I guess front/rear defrost, front seat heaters, wiper deicer, and steering wheel heater are down there as well, but most would probably turn these on before actually driving, so again, placement is great in my opinion that it is low and out of the way. I think Mazda knew what they were doing. Less clutter in your line of site.

I have noticed the AC seems way more powerful to cool things off than my 2014 and I do have to keep the auto temp set to a higher number to be comfortable. I kept my 2014 set at 67. Could be because of the rear AC addition, but not sure. Could be because the car is sealed better, losing less cool air or letting less hot air in.

Last edited:
Well I set mine to 69 for both sides and turned Dual and Auto on back in April when I bought it. Haven't had to reach for anything with the climate control since then. So I like that the controls are low and out of the way.

I guess front/rear defrost, front seat heaters, wiper deicer, and steering wheel heater are down there as well, but most would probably turn these on before actually driving, so again, placement is great in my opinion that it is low and out of the way. I think Mazda knew what they were doing. Less clutter in your line of site.

I have noticed the AC seems way more powerful to cool things off than my 2014 and I do have to keep the auto temp set to a higher number to be comfortable. I kept my 2014 set at 67. Could be because of the rear AC addition, but not sure. Could be because it is sealed better, losing less cool air or letting less hot air in.

I don't mess with the vent selection too much either, and often have the it set to Auto. But usually during a snowstorm I'll turn the system to defrost only to help try to keep the wiper blades from freezing up... (hence why I like the addition of the wiper de-icer on the 2017 premium package).

Nice to see some of the comparisons to higher end cars. I'm not sure if my climate control knob's bother me where they currently are. I usually have mine set to 72. Curious, has anyone done any comparisons with fuel economy by using 87,89 or, 91 octane?

what tire psi are you running? what highway mpg numbers you are getting?

In city my 16 pretty much does better than EPA unless its a bad bad traffic. then it does 25 ish.
On good days i hit 34. But highway over 60+ I have never touched 32 leave alone 33.

what tire psi are you running? what highway mpg numbers you are getting?

In city my 16 pretty much does better than EPA unless its a bad bad traffic. then it does 25 ish.
On good days i hit 34. But highway over 60+ I have never touched 32 leave alone 33.

I'll have to check but I bet my PSI is on the lower side. So far I've only hit 33mpg's but I was traveling between 60-65 on a stretch of open freeway, which we normally don't see a lot of around here. I'm currently averaging around 26mpg combined which isn't too bad but i've also been trying my hardest to drive slower... Unlike many others i'm not used to having this power available to me (coming from Mazda5) so I constantly get the urge to floor it and pass people.

I played around with the climate controls last Saturday and seemed a reasonable distance for me but I guess it might be more difficult for those who might be shorter than me.

Nice to see some of the comparisons to higher end cars. I'm not sure if my climate control knob's bother me where they currently are. I usually have mine set to 72. Curious, has anyone done any comparisons with fuel economy by using 87,89 or, 91 octane?

I did in my 2015. Noted zero difference on a road-trip.

Having air conditioning on will make a very small difference, if any at all in terms of fuel economy.

Yeah I leave the AC on all the time. Helps keep condensation off of the windshield. I exceed all MPG ratings.

What will help new 2017 CX-5 owners in terms of fuel economy is actual time traveling along with distances and traffic volumes.

Short trips of say less than 20 minutes coupled with stop/start traffic won't help the averages.

Last edited:
I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know the the turn signals(both front and rear) can be upgraded to LED? I saw someone else do this with the 2016, just wondering if it is doable/possible with the 2017 models.

Thank you

Having air conditioning on will make a very small difference, if any at all in terms of fuel economy.

I do know that AC matters more than people think, though. Back when I had a, LS1 Trans Am, I ran across a Camaro that had some mods, but was an automatic. We hit it from a highway roll, and he slowly SLOWLY walked on me. I turned the AC off and we hit it again, and I believe I SLOOOWWWLLLY inched on him, if I recall. Same initial speed and noone jumped it either time. I always thought under WOT the A/C clutch kicked out and it free-wheeled, but turning AC of definitely mattered. That said, studies have been done, and for fuel economy it's not a big deal, but for acceleration, it does more than any sport mode under WOT while in gear. SO now, you turn on sport mode, turn off AC, lol!

I do know that AC matters more than people think, though. Back when I had a, LS1 Trans Am, I ran across a Camaro that had some mods, but was an automatic. We hit it from a highway roll, and he slowly SLOWLY walked on me. I turned the AC off and we hit it again, and I believe I SLOOOWWWLLLY inched on him, if I recall. Same initial speed and noone jumped it either time. I always thought under WOT the A/C clutch kicked out and it free-wheeled, but turning AC of definitely mattered. That said, studies have been done, and for fuel economy it's not a big deal, but for acceleration, it does more than any sport mode under WOT while in gear. SO now, you turn on sport mode, turn off AC, lol!

This is correct. You can tell when it is on by the sluggish acceleration but when the compressor switches off, all of a sudden you get an instant power boost.

On Saturday, I initially drove around with air conditioning off to see how it accelerated. Then after a while, I turned it on and yes it impacted it a bit but not like the old days :)

I did a lot of interstate driving this week, and really can't get over how much quieter it is. Felt lined paneling they added underneath, acoustic glass, additional seals, etc really help knock out the road and wind noise I used to hear. For those of you who never owned a gen1, it may jut seem normal.

A lot of reviews I read said that was one of the biggest complaints that mazda was trying to address, along with "modest cabin appointments" and no rear ac or power liftgate. But being able to have a conversation with people in the back seat at interstate speeds without feeling like I'm yelling is the best improvement for me.

The radar cruise is pretty slick if any of you haven't used it yet. Set it following a car going a speed you like and if it slows down, so do you, if it stops you stop, and you get back up to speed as quickly as it does without ever touching the pedals.

What will help new 2017 CX-5 owners in terms of fuel economy is actual time traveling along with distances and traffic volumes.

Short trips of say less than 20 minutes coupled with stop/start traffic won't help the averages.

This is my daily commute. With A/C now... I'm at about 25-26mpg doing that. Open road without braking for more than 10 minutes at a time pushes me up into the mid-30s, even with A/C. Only hills around here are highway overpasses, so it's also fairly flat driving.

I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know the the turn signals(both front and rear) can be upgraded to LED? I saw someone else do this with the 2016, just wondering if it is doable/possible with the 2017 models.

Thank you

Yes it looks like it's possible. I'm already looking into it for the front and the rears.

I did a lot of interstate driving this week, and really can't get over how much quieter it is. Felt lined paneling they added underneath, acoustic glass, additional seals, etc really help knock out the road and wind noise I used to hear. For those of you who never owned a gen1, it may jut seem normal.

A lot of reviews I read said that was one of the biggest complaints that mazda was trying to address, along with "modest cabin appointments" and no rear ac or power liftgate. But being able to have a conversation with people in the back seat at interstate speeds without feeling like I'm yelling is the best improvement for me.

The radar cruise is pretty slick if any of you haven't used it yet. Set it following a car going a speed you like and if it slows down, so do you, if it stops you stop, and you get back up to speed as quickly as it does without ever touching the pedals.

Cool..any notable mileage diff from the '14?

Yes same! I'm loving the stop and go radar cruise control. It helps me not lose my mind while sitting on the freeway. All I have to do is point the car and it takes care of the rest.

Back