Gen 2.0 CX-5 In the real world. Lets discuss...

I do know that AC matters more than people think, though. Back when I had a, LS1 Trans Am, I ran across a Camaro that had some mods, but was an automatic. We hit it from a highway roll, and he slowly SLOWLY walked on me. I turned the AC off and we hit it again, and I believe I SLOOOWWWLLLY inched on him, if I recall. Same initial speed and noone jumped it either time. I always thought under WOT the A/C clutch kicked out and it free-wheeled, but turning AC of definitely mattered. That said, studies have been done, and for fuel economy it's not a big deal, but for acceleration, it does more than any sport mode under WOT while in gear. SO now, you turn on sport mode, turn off AC, lol!

Yeah, my gutless crappy 1995 Elantra winter beater would lose a lot of power when the AC was on. Nothing like that happens in the CX5. In fact you'll get worse gas mileage with your windows down than running the AC. But you probably knew that....

2 mpg better so far on same roads/routes. Looks like it will settle in around 29. But I drive 80 a lot.

This is my daily commute. With A/C now... I'm at about 25-26mpg doing that. Open road without braking for more than 10 minutes at a time pushes me up into the mid-30s, even with A/C. Only hills around here are highway overpasses, so it's also fairly flat driving.
And that's how it is. It depends on time at all so the road conditions to get the best mpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is my daily commute. With A/C now... I'm at about 25-26mpg doing that. Open road without braking for more than 10 minutes at a time pushes me up into the mid-30s, even with A/C. Only hills around here are highway overpasses, so it's also fairly flat driving.

Say what 35 - Woo. Hold on 35. Thats cool.

Not sure where to post this I might as well dump it here. I really like the chrome piece on the Mazda 6 and CX9. Wondering why our CX5 didn't come with it also? I can't imagine that it would be all that hard to swap out.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture_M.JPG
    Capture_M.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 581
Not sure where to post this I might as well dump it here. I really like the chrome piece on the Mazda 6 and CX9. Wondering why our CX5 didn't come with it also? I can't imagine that it would be all that hard to swap out.
attachment.php

I assume around the centre of the steering wheel outside the Mazda badge.

Should be a straight swap with one from say a CX-9.

Previous car was a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring with about 63000 miles. Wanted something CX-5 size. Wanted AWD and traditional transmission (no CVT). Still don't trust Kia or Hyundai. Didn't want to pay the premium brand prices. Didn't like the looks of the domestic (US) brands. Didn't test drive anything besides the CX-5.

This might look like a long list of criticisms, but I really like it overall. My previous vehicles did not have any of the high - tech features (other than bluetooth phone link).

Love the radar cruise control with stop and go. Wish it would do a better job of detecting when a car is out of the way after making a right or left turn in front of you (i.e. they are turning off a two lane road, but there isn't a stop sign). It tends to slow down too much, and wait too long to accelerate again. Also wish it would accelerate faster during the "go" part of stop and go. I like that if you are 2nd at the light, and the car in front of you goes straight, but you turn, it knows you are turning and doesn't accelerate much until you are through the turn.

I wish the traffic sign recognition recognized construction zone start / end / speed signs. There is a section of road I drive every day that is under construction right now. It sees the 45 MPH sign and shows it on the HUD, but before going very far it switches back to the normal posted 55 MPH (I'm assuming this is coming from the Nav system's database). This repeats when I pass another 45 MPH sign (the 55 MPH signs are covered).

I like the Fuel Economy Monitor app on the infotainment system, but I wish the infotainment system booted up faster. I wanted to reset the MPG after filling up with gas before starting the engine. I didn't time it, but it seemed like at least 45 seconds before the app was loaded up and I could reset the MPG. Also, I wish all the bars (top and bottom sections) had the MPG number listed above them.

I wish all the windows and moonroof could be opened or closed after turning off the ignition (only the driver's window does this).

I like the lack of wind/road noise. Wish there was less engine noise when accelerating.

The seats are comfortable for daily driving (20-30 min), haven't taken a long trip yet (will do 2 hours twice and 1 hour 4 times this weekend, curious to see how it goes). I'm not very large (5'8" / 145 lb), so I slide around a bit during "spirited" cornering.

If the HVAC controls were mounted higher, the shifter, command knob, armrest, etc. could all be moved forward a couple inches, which I think would result in a little better ergonomics.

I like the idea of the rain-sensing wipers, but wish they did a better job of sensing the rain rate. Seems to be too slow more often than too fast. Also seems to perform worse at night.

I like the adaptive headlights. I like the LED head lights, but I'm wondering how they will do when it is snowing. On a previous car I installed some "white" halogen bulbs, and the increased reflection off the falling snow was distracting. Luckily I had left that car's regular fog lights installed, and their "yellowness" really helped (I don't mean they had yellow lenses or bulbs, just that they had a more traditional color temperature for headlights).

Previous car was a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring with about 63000 miles. Wanted something CX-5 size. Wanted AWD and traditional transmission (no CVT). Still don't trust Kia or Hyundai. Didn't want to pay the premium brand prices. Didn't like the looks of the domestic (US) brands. Didn't test drive anything besides the CX-5.

Also wish it would accelerate faster during the "go" part of stop and go.

This is normal. It's making sure the car infront has gone. If you want it to start earlier, just tap/press the accelerator slightly and it will get things going

I wish the traffic sign recognition recognized construction zone start / end / speed signs. There is a section of road I drive every day that is under construction right now. It sees the 45 MPH sign and shows it on the HUD, but before going very far it switches back to the normal posted 55 MPH (I'm assuming this is coming from the Nav system's database). This repeats when I pass another 45 MPH sign (the 55 MPH signs are covered).

TSR was designed for fixed speed limit signs primarily, not construction zone ones I believe. So it may get confused and revert to previous one/GPS one

I like the Fuel Economy Monitor app on the infotainment system, but I wish the infotainment system booted up faster. I wanted to reset the MPG after filling up with gas before starting the engine. I didn't time it, but it seemed like at least 45 seconds before the app was loaded up and I could reset the MPG. Also, I wish all the bars (top and bottom sections) had the MPG number listed above them.

If you want a faster boot up, make sure you turn on Bluetooth on your phone after MZD boots up

I like the idea of the rain-sensing wipers, but wish they did a better job of sensing the rain rate. Seems to be too slow more often than too fast. Also seems to perform worse at night.

Do you adjust the sensitivity levels on the wiper stalk?

This is normal. It's making sure the car infront has gone. If you want it to start earlier, just tap/press the accelerator slightly and it will get things going

I do. But the acceleration is still too slow for my taste if the car ahead accelerates quickly - you end up with a much longer gap than the distance setting. If the cruise is set higher than they end up going, you eventually catch up obviously.

TSR was designed for fixed speed limit signs primarily, not construction zone ones I believe. So it may get confused and revert to previous one/GPS one

Yes, that's why I said "I wish" - it's a wish list item if they wanted to enhance it.

If you want a faster boot up, make sure you turn on Bluetooth on your phone after MZD boots up

I'm not going to switch my phone's bluetooth off and on every time I want to start in the car, I can handle the occasional minor annoyance of the slow boot making me wait a little to do something :). BTW, the other time I notice how long it takes to boot is if I want to mute or un-mute the radio right away. It might depend on what screen is loading, but sometimes it takes a while to respond to the mute button.

Do you adjust the sensitivity levels on the wiper stalk?

Yes, it helps for a while, but it seems like when I change speed or the rain rate changes, I have to adjust it again. The most obvious is if I leave the wipers in the auto setting and turn off the car. When I turn it back on and it is still raining, it doesn't always start wiping again (or it is waiting waaaay too long) unless I tap the stalk for mist or turn the level all the way up.

Last edited:
I do. But the acceleration is still too slow for my taste if the car ahead accelerates quickly - you end up with a much longer gap than the distance setting. If the cruise is set higher than they end up going, you eventually catch up obviously.

Could be that is what they are aiming for but if enough people speak up, maybe the next model might have a better acceleration response.

I'm not going to switch my phone's bluetooth off and on every time I want to start in the car, I can handle the occasional minor annoyance of the slow boot making me wait a little to do something :). BTW, the other time I notice how long it takes to boot is if I want to mute or un-mute the radio right away. It might depend on what screen is loading, but sometimes it takes a while to respond to the mute button.

That is up to you. I generally have Bluetooth off on my phone so when I am about to depart, I just turn it on after the MZD boots up. Sometimes I do turn it on before hand and I really don't notice that much of a difference re boot speed. Each to their own.

Regarding mute function, what about trying to just turn the dial down to lowest possible volume?

Yes, it helps for a while, but it seems like when I change speed or the rain rate changes, I have to adjust it again. The most obvious is if I leave the wipers in the auto setting and turn off the car. When I turn it back on and it is still raining, it doesn't always start wiping again (or it is waiting waaaay too long) unless I tap the stalk for mist or turn the level all the way up.

There is another thread that talks about this and it seems it is not just limited to the CX-5. On occasion, my 6's sensor responds a bit funnily but I am used to it

If funnily means they don't wipe when in auto mode after startup in a downpour, then count me in. Lol.

Yeah, They're funky in rain, near useless in snow as has been mentioned/covered in other threads. If one lives where it snows I recommend turning offf the auto sensing feature. Just remember its a feature you can't deselect while driving.

Ymmv

If funnily means they don't wipe when in auto mode after startup in a downpour, then count me in. Lol.

Indeed or it does one wipe when the downpour begins, stays on infrequent wipe for a little bit then decides to start wiping like it is in the low setting

Back