Electronic Parking Brake Usage

How often do you use your Electronic Parking Brake?

• I always use the EPB

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • I only use the EPB when temps are above freezing

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I seldom use the EPB - only on steep inclines and such

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I never use the EPB

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
You know another thing about EPB: you won’t see any more folks pushing up and down the parking lever rapidly while in park to tighten the rear brake drum!!

BTW: can there be EPB and drum brakes?

There’s no reason why not but in fact drum brakes are very effective with little input because the shoes have a self servo effect. Sometimes vehicles with rear disc brakes have a small drum brake inside the disc (drum in hat) because they require less effort than attempting to apply the brake by clamping the pads.

In applications where a disc is necessary to meet the braking requirements of a higher performance vehicle, a simplified design uses the parking brake on the pads. This presents a problem as there is no self servo and the brake relies on clamping force only. This introduces a secondary problem in that unlike a drum brake where a cooling drum clamps the shoes even tighter, cooling discs contract away from the pads and it is not uncommon for a vehicle to run away. An EPB removes the risk as it over applies the brake via powerful springs that limit the applied force but maintain it when the brakes cool. It means that Miss Daisy can apply the parking brake with the same force as Iron Man and you need not fear for your life when she lives up the road from you. There are discussions taking place that will mandate EPBs on all cars.

Sorry for the long answer but mention brakes and I’m off on one!

I always use when parking, anywhere out of habit.

Also USE IT IN RED LIGHT WHERE I KNOW THE DARN LIGHT IS FOR A LONG TIME. The best part of EPB is it’s instantly released as soon as I press gas.

On a 17, the holding brake is your best friend. All four brakes applied under pressure and released automatically.

Thank you for confirming. Will save me from parking infront of a business premises with reflective windows just for me to see if it does or not :D

Haha, you can see them at night reflecting in the teeth and eyes of the driver behind - they are very bright. The led “Predator” lights have a separate super bright led cluster on a 2017.

And of course the accompanying PDFs.

I love it when they talk this way:

Caution
The AUTOHOLD function is a system which maintains the vehicle in a stopped condition using the
DSC brake fluid pressure hold function. Because the function is not for enhancing the tire
performance, the vehicle cannot be stopped if the grip limit of the tires is exceeded. Therefore, the
function may not be able to hold the vehicle on a steep or slippery road.

(help)

Haha, you can see them at night reflecting in the teeth and eyes of the driver behind - they are very bright. The led “Predator” lights have a separate super bright led cluster on a 2017.
(lol)

I love it when they talk this way:

Caution
• The AUTOHOLD function is a system which maintains the vehicle in a stopped condition using the
DSC brake fluid pressure hold function. Because the function is not for enhancing the tire
performance, the vehicle cannot be stopped if the grip limit of the tires is exceeded. Therefore, the
function may not be able to hold the vehicle on a steep or slippery road.

(help)

Aye, somebody over your side would successfully sue them for it not working on a ski slope without the proviso.

I use mine in all conditions every time I park. Usually use the auto hold too at long bumper to bumper traffic stops or in drive-thrus. Haven't had any issues with either freezing or not working correctly, in warmer or colder weather. I'm still always a little bit antsy about Electronic Park Brakes tho; even though they've, so far, worked flawlessly for the 2 years I've had experience with them.

Back