Electronic Parking Brake Usage

How often do you use your Electronic Parking Brake?

• I always use the EPB

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • I only use the EPB when temps are above freezing

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I seldom use the EPB - only on steep inclines and such

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I never use the EPB

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
In our house it's always used on both cars - stop the car and the parking brake is on before letting foot off brake in park.

I tend to release it by tapping the gas pedal. My wife tends to release it with her hand. I've found barely tapping the gas pedal is a much smoother brake release than applying throttle to drive away when letting it auto release. If you use the tapping method just make sure your seat belt is on before you start to move ;-)

I recommend those who have it go to an empty parking lot and try it out moving from a reasonable speed so you know what to do / what to expect in the unlikely event you need to use it while in motion. Both on dry and in the snow if you're in a snowy climate.

It used to be "use it or lose it" with the mechanical parking brakes, not sure if the same applies with the EPB.

Last edited:
I will always use it when I'm in the car without my parents. When I did use it (Since the driving instructor told me so) my dad was like no need to since you aren't using a manual. I'm pretty sure the thing that stops the car when you put it in park will ware off and eventually fail right?

I will always use it when I'm in the car without my parents. When I did use it (Since the driving instructor told me so) my dad was like no need to since you aren't using a manual. I'm pretty sure the thing that stops the car when you put it in park will ware off and eventually fail right?

I just use both park and handbrake (EPB).

You will notice sometimes that say you are parking on an decline and you just put it in park and the vehicle for a brief moment it sort of swings forward then back on its spot before settling. Having park brake on pretty much negates this.

As otherwise mentioned particularly on an incline / decline it is easier on the car.

Other than that it's just an added measure of safety regardless of where you're parking and is never a bad habit to get yourself into.

Don't mind to see the pdf files you mentioned. And I do read all pdf's you posted and they all seem to be very valuable info to us!

Now I just wish I can have a valid reason asking my Mazda dealer to replace my EPB control module and the revised calipers you mentioned. I've been reluctant to use the EPB drive-away feature, because I always feel like I'm straining against the rear brakes!

Glad you appreciate the PDFs. I really enjoy reading them.

The control module is no longer part of the TSB, they found changing it was not effective. I had one rear brake getting hot. I couldn't feel it but I could see the discolouration of the disc so might be worth checking. They did both calipers, the discoloured disc and a new set of pads all under warranty.

This shows how to operate maintenance mode

View attachment 216813

This is the latest TSB

View attachment 216814

This is how to change the rear pad and note NOT to press and turn the piston. You only need to turn slightly without pressing if the pins don't line up.

View attachment 216815

This one shows the operation of the EPB and the emergency braking mode.

View attachment 216816

I just use both park and handbrake (EPB).

You will notice sometimes that say you are parking on an decline and you just put it in park and the vehicle for a brief moment it sort of swings forward then back on its spot before settling. Having park brake on pretty much negates this.

That swinging back and too gives me the creeps. It's just a pin engaged in the gearbox and the rocking is everything from that pin through the prop shaft and the drive shafts all twisting under the load. I would never advocate the use of the park position without applying the EPB first unless it was dead level. The only exception would be leaving it parked in a level garage or carport where leaving the parking brake off might stop the pads sticking to the disc after a long time.

I spent 17 years testing and developing brakes and the legislators were gearing up for mandatory EPBs across the board. At the moment it is pretty much price driven but there are still recorded instances of weak or infirm people not applying enough force to hand brake levers with resultant and occasionally fatal consequences. Mechanical parking brakes on pads are at a disadvantage because the rely entirely on clamping force and as the pads and discs cool, they can lose grip. That is why some manufacturers still employ a rear drum brake because the self servo wrapping effect of drum brake linings provide a much more reliable parking brake. However, EPBs overcome the loss of clamping force as the mechanism loads a heavy duty coil spring which gets preloaded during application so even if components cool and shrink, they follow up the pressure.

If I am not mistaken, main reason other than safety is car makers are moving to EPB is to free up space in the cabin not to mention reduce weight of the vehicle.

If I am not mistaken, main reason other than safety is car makers are moving to EPB is to free up space in the cabin not to mention reduce weight of the vehicle.

Yes it makes for a cleaner interior but it cost them a lot more than a lever. It does give a more upmarket feel as well.

So much for handbrake turns...I kid I kid, well in the CX-5 anyways, didn't buy it to be that aggressive.

So much for handbrake turns...I kid I kid, well in the CX-5 anyways, didn't buy it to be that aggressive.

They had handbrakes for the first few years, not sure when it changed. Yes, the rare times we get snow/ice here, you can have some fun with the handbrake.

They had handbrakes for the first few years, not sure when it changed. Yes, the rare times we get snow/ice here, you can have some fun with the handbrake.

If I am not mistaken, this new model was when EPB came to CX-5

For Mazda6, 2015.

For Mazda3, on up spec models 2016.

I use it a lot more than in just snow and ice, but as stated, I had no intentions really in the CX-5. I wish my HS car didn't have a handbrake lever. It got in the way on dates. Haha!

I hear ya. I'm afraid I would roll the damn thing trying to whip the end around on dry pavement.

The 2016 refresh is when EPB came to the CX-5.

At least in the USA.

In Australia, use of the parking brake is a requirement when a vehicle is parked and left unattended on a public road.

"Securing your vehicle

You must secure/lock your vehicle before leaving it parked on a road. Your vehicle is considered unattended when you are more than 3m away from it.

Before you leave the vehicle you must:

switch off the engine
apply the parking brake
remove the ignition key if there is no one 16 years of age or older in the vehicle
wind up the windows if possible—a gap of 5cm or less is acceptable
lock the doors if possible.

This rule applies to all road-related areas, including car parks."

Back